“Deluxe room is definitely nicer” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Cititel Penang

You added Cititel Penang to your Saves list
Cititel Penang
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   66 Jalan Penang, George Town, Penang Island 10000, Malaysia   |
Ranked #20 of 54 Hotels in George Town
KL, Malaysia
“Deluxe room is definitely nicer”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

We stayed in Deluxe room this time around. And totally love it. It was so much different than the superior room we stayed in previously. Not so much different on the room size, but the ambiance was so much nicer. Check in and check out was smooth. Recommended value for money.

Room Tip: I've stayed in both superior and deluxe room. Pay the extra and go for the deluxe room.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
TonyGoh-GM, General Manager at Cititel Penang, responded to this review, December 16, 2012
Dear Guest

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang and I hope that you had a good trip home.

I am indeed very happy to note that you have enjoyed your stay with us at Cititel Penang and that our Deluxe Rooms are very much to your liking. Much thanks for the positive comments of our services, food and facilities.

I truly appreciate your kind recommendation of our hotel on TripAdvisor and all of us look forward to welcoming you and your partner back again soon.

My best wishes for a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!
Tony Goh

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Mount Gambier, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

This hotel is mid range price and rooms are a bit small. Place is clean and tidy and centrally located. No need to have breakfast in the hotel as it is surrounded by eating shops serving every imaginable food. There was no safe in the room but free security box downstairs. I needed a business centre and this hotel has closed theirs but the staff could not have been more helpful sending me up to the executive offices for scanning and email services. Only negative is the crowded cramped car parking and the tedious having to log on to the free wi-fi all the time.
However make no mistake I normally stay here, good location and reasonable price.

Room Tip: High floor is quieter and facing sea and E&O hotel if possible.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
TonyGoh-GM, General Manager at Cititel Penang, responded to this review, November 29, 2012

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang.

Thank you for taking the time to write and I am happy to note that you have enjoyed your stay with us.

We appreciate your kind comments about our hotel services; My team members and I look forward to welcoming you back to Cititel Penang on your next visit and our sincere thanks once again for sharing your experience with us.

With kind regards,
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

Went up to Penang last week end for the Penang Bridge Marathon and at the same time enjoy the famous Penang stree hawker food.

Cititel Penang is at a wonderful location of Penang Road - where many coffee shops with good food are located, and within 10 - 15 minutes walk from the Cititel.

If you dont mind the tropical hear and humidity, the famous Penag WOrld Heritage site is about 20 - 25 minutes walk away !

As for the hotel, it is rated 4-star but personally opinion is it is more like a 3+ star hotel.
The swimming pool is really small. The steam room and sauna room is small and rathere packed with too many people.

The Health Centre was closed and under renovation

The actuall room itslef is decent, nothing big to short about and nothing seriously wrong - except that one can tell the room is rather aged and due for a good upgrade

If your objective is too spend a lot of time looking a Penang and then the hotel is for rest and wash up - it is not a bad choice to stay

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang.

Congratulations on participating in the Penang Bridge Marathon. Am sure you did well and are looking forward to run on our new Second Bridge come 2013!

Thank you for your comments about our hotel facilities; we have just completed our refurbishment for our hotel and am pleased to share that in place of the health centre, we will, have a new Wellness Centre by January 2013.

Am glad that you enjoyed your favourite hawker fare whilst here. My team and I look forward to welcoming you back to Cititel Penang soon and thank you once again for taking the time to share your stay experience with us.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

This hotel offer nice room and its very suitable for people travelling in family. Cafe and restaurant are within walking distance. Public transport is easy accesible too. I was staying with a kid in my room, even with the additional bed, the room is quiet spacious. Shower pressure is good, basic room facility (i.e. kettle, coffee making service and cable tv). It took us sometime to check in, probably its because the hotel room was booked thru 3rd party hotel's booking, but the receiptionist at check in counter (Watie) is very friendly. Security of this hotel is very good too as the rooms floor can only be access using a key card.
Didnt try the breakfast in the hotel, thus cant comment on that. Anyhow overall is a good stay. If I plan to visit penang in future, i will not hesitate to stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Corner room are large and bright. If you like sunny, you should go for corner room.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
TonyGoh-GM, General Manager at Cititel Penang, responded to this review, November 28, 2012

Selamat Sejahtera!

I am thoroughly delighted to know that you have enjoyed your recent stay at Cititel Penang and thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us.

It is always gratifying to know that we have exceeded your expectations during your stay with us and your appreciation is great motivation to all of us here. I am pleased to share that I conveyed your comments to Watie with much pride.

Thank you for your recommendation - my team and I look forward to welcoming you and your family back to stay with us when you are back in Penang again.

Warsaw, Poland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

It is a convenient business hotel in the centre of old town and nearby the sea. From upper floors you can have a nice sea view (rooms 12 to 22). Breakfast is tasty with good choice of flavours (from Western cuisine to Thai, Malay, Japanese and Korean). Strategic location makes this place a good choice (c.a. 30 minutes drive from the airport). Rooms, although not very spacious, are refurbished and clean, with clean bedclothes (I stayed at the deluxe room, Pinnacle floor). Bathroom is clean. Toilet amenities, safe-box, iron and iron board, hair-dryer, electric water-kettle, a choice of teas and coffees are provided. Rooms are equipped with international charger socket with a variety of configuration (British, European, USA, RSA) - no need to bring your own. Wi-Fi works perfectly in the rooms and in the lobby. Check-in and check-out processes are very fast and not bothersome. Only some things need more attention - sofas at the lobby and corridors carpeting seem to see better times and the room doors are quite thin - you can hear slamming doors and people talking. In some areas you can smell a strong cigarette smoke. Aircon was difficult to adjust. But the overall impression is better than average, close to good. I keep finger crossed for further improvement :-)

Room Tip: Take a sea-view rooms on higher floors. Better to take deluxe rooms and up.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

With kind regards,
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

We enjoyed our stay. Location is great. Room was clean and modern. Well maintained hotel. Reception staff friendly. A recommendation will be to improve the pool area. We couldn't locate the switch for Jacuzzi; there was no one at the front desk of the recreation area (where the guest sign-up register and towels are placed)at about 4 times that we went there. Overall a pleasant hotel in Georgetown. We hope that management maintain and exceed the standards until we return next time.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang and I hope that you had a good trip home.

Thank you for your gracious comments about our hotel services and facilities – it is a delight to know that you had an enjoyable stay with us.

I regret the inconvenience you had encountered at the pool area. The previous operator of the Health Centre has ceased operations and we will have a new Wellness Centre in its place come January 2013. The new operator is presently working on the renovation works for this new outlet, hence the lack of personnel at the front. Thank you for highlighting the switch to the jacuzzi for the pool; we have since placed a notice to indicate the location of the switch for our guests’ information.

Thank you for highlighting the improvements for the pool area and I sincerely hope that it did not dampen your stay with us.

I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to Cititel Penang again soon.

Until then, my best wishes
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed here last month after booking last minute on Agoda. Upon checking in we found out the room only had two beds, so for a small fee we upgraded for a king size bed with a great view of the water. It's about 20 minutes from the airport which was nice, but the hotel is just kind of old and smoky. You only get one wifi code for the room and will be charged if you need more than one. It's in a good location and right next to the Red Garden night market so there are plenty of options for food, but it just seems like a better hotel for a single business traveler rather than a couple.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
TonyGoh-GM, General Manager at Cititel Penang, responded to this review, November 22, 2012

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang.

Thank you for your kind comments about your recent stay with us. I am pleased to share that our hotel has just completed a complete refurbishment exercise and am glad that you liked the views from your room and our hotel location.

I am also delighted to share that effective 01 November 2012, all our guests are accorded with WIFI access for two persons per guestroom. I do hope that you will find this most useful on your next visit.

Thank you once again for writing in – my team and I look forward to welcoming you and your partner back to Penang soon.

Tony Goh

Been to Cititel Penang? Share your experiences!