“Excellent, value for money if you don't really use facilities” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Cititel Penang

You added Cititel Penang to your Saves list
Cititel Penang
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   66 Jalan Penang, George Town, Penang Island 10000, Malaysia   |
Ranked #20 of 54 Hotels in George Town
Singapore, Singapore
“Excellent, value for money if you don't really use facilities”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

One of the best hotels we've ever stayed in! :)

We chose this hotel as the manager, Mr Tony Goh, made an effort to respond to every single review on TripAdvisor; this is a sign of good service. And yes, we were proven correct. Upon our arrival, the receptionist greeted us and check-in was quick. We booked two deluxe rooms (as the price difference between Pinnacle & Deluxe was rather high, RM70), requested for high floor, and got ourselves a FREE UPGRADE to Pinnacle rooms on the 18th floor! Complimentary WiFi for one device per room; good signal strength and fast network speed! Another good thing about the room is, there's a ceiling fan, so if you don't want the aircon, it won't be too stuffy.

The hotel was slightly away from the city centre; a short 10 mins stroll to KOMTAR. Alternatively, you can hop onto the free CAT shuttle just beside the hotel, or take a taxi to KOMTAR which costs RM7.

Staff were really friendly; service was much better than expected. The room cleaning staff never failed to smile and greet us, or at least give us a gentle nod. This is something which I have never experienced in any 5 star hotel. On the last day after checking out, we booked a taxi but it was no where in sight. I walked up to a staff and explained the situation, and without hesitation, he helped me contact the taxi driver.

The only not-so-good thing about Citiel Penang is its facilities. The gym and pool are really basic, but we didn't use them, so it didn't really matter.

Overall a wonderful hotel, value for money, good location! Will definitely recommend to others!

Room Tip: Rooms either face Georgetown (KOMTAR) or the sea. Depends on what you want. Also, high floor rooms h...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
TonyGoh-GM, General Manager at Cititel Penang, responded to this review, September 20, 2012
Dear Eugene

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang!

Thank you so much for writing in to share your thoughts – I am truly delighted to note that you have had a most enjoyable stay here and my sincere thanks for your kind and gracious comments about our hotel team members and the service rendered.

It is always gratifying to know that we have exceeded our guests' expectations during their stay with us and your appreciation is great motivation to all of us here.

My team and I look forward to welcoming you and your family back to stay with us on your next visit to Penang.

Until then, my best wishes for a great weekend ahead.

Kind regards
Tony

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Ko Lanta, Thailand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

We went there when the hotel was super busy since it's Hari raya period and surely, the hotel was packed! But we can say that the hotel can handle quite well with the room management, everyone get the room with the arrival time and the check in process is really fast for me.

The room is not big but clean, and well furnished. The quite moment was rarely found, since the hotel was full and it was a family gathering time in the town, so the kids always running around at the corridor and the foot step sound reached to our room all the time, but can't stop the kids right? Won't compliant though.

The Pinnacle rooms have really nice view. You can see the whole bay in this room (not sure every room or not but if you would like to see the view, ask for it) If you are not in the budget, we would recommended.

If possible, DO NOT drive here, the parking is super challenge. For me, I can not park here (my husband can so we was ok that time.)

Room Tip: The hotel is really down town, don't forget to walk a little bit to food court around, it's...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
TonyGoh-GM, General Manager at Cititel Penang, responded to this review, September 14, 2012
Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang!

It is indeed very heartening to know that you have enjoyed your stay with us at Cititel Penang.

We truly appreciate your kind comments about our hotel facilities and thank you for your kind understanding about the high occupancy days during your stay. Yes, many of our guests agree with you and are pleasantly surprised at how convenient it is to move around from here for shopping, dining and even sight-seeing, be it by foot, by trishaw, by car or by public transport.

I am very glad that you like our Pinnacle Rooms and thank you for recommending them. My team and I look forward to welcoming you back to Cititel Penang soon and thank you once again for taking the time to share your experience with us.

Norwich, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

I had a wonderful stay in this hotel. When I arrived from a long bus journey from KL the reception staff greeted me with a smile and were very friendly. My room on the 16th floor was a little small but clean and modern furnished to a high standard. All staff were great, cleaning staff always cheerily greeting me in the corridor and making sure my room was clean and fresh every day. For the price paid n comparison to similar hotels in Malaysia I was very satisfied.

A couple of minor niggles would be why did they build the pool indoors and not outdoors in a city like Penang? It was still nice to cool off in though and was usually deserted, as was the attached Sauna and Steam Room.

There are 3 restaurants in the hotel, I only ate in the Chinese one (Zhongua Gourmet) which again had great staff and great Dim Sum.

Location also fantastic, walking distance to the old city, lots of cafés and bars within 5 minutes walk (but not noisy).

I will happily recommend this hotel to anyone and it will be my first choice should I return to Penang.

Room Tip: The high rooms give great views
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang!

Thank you for your positive comments about your recent stay with us - I am truly grateful for your kind words about our services and facilities and have shared them with my team here.

It is always a delight to know that we have exceeded our guests' expectations during their stay with us and your appreciation is great motivation to all of us here.

My sincere thanks, once again, for taking the time to share your experience at Cititel Penang and for your recommendation.

My team and I look forward to welcoming you back to Penang again soon.

Bintulu, Malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

When I stepped in, I was impressed by the nice and spacious lobby. The reception staffs are friendly. I booked 2 rooms i.e. a standard twins & a deluxe double bed for 3 days. However, they provide with single beds. There is not much difference between standard & deluxe. The location is very convenience, got food stalls just opposite and next to the hotel. There is a hop on shuttle bus provide free ride to certain places every 15 minutes. The breakfast is good also. There is a wide choice of food provided. Staffs are friendly and efficient except for the health center section.
We went for sauna and ask for the towels. The male staff said ," you just go, we will send you the towels". We waited & waited, the towels never come. So we go to gyms room, then sit beside the pool still waiting for it (the sauna room is just beside it) for almost half an hour and
finally give up. When we passed by the health center reception desk, a female staff asked, "you still don't get your towels???".....................then the male staff start bla,bla,bla and give the towels..............disappointed!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
TonyGoh-GM, General Manager at Cititel Penang, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
Dear Guest

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang. We trust that you had a great trip home.

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments on your recent stay at Cititel Penang and thank you for your gracious comments about our staff, services and facilities.

Please accept my apologies for the unpleasant experience you encountered at the Health Centre; I have personally cautioned the personnel there many times on their conduct and I apologise for their lack of courtesy towards you and your family. This is a leased outlet at the hotel, and am pleased to share that we have ceased their contract at our hotel come end September 2012. A reflexology centre and other health and beauty services are in our plans for this area. However, our indoor pool and gymnasium will still remain in the interim.

I hope that this did not detract you from the overall enjoyment of your stay and look forward to welcoming you and your family back to stay with us soon.

With kind regards,
Kuala Lumpur
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

Actually this is my 2nd time staying at this hotel. The hotel is conviniently located in heart of the city and within walking distance to most of the famous food attractions in Penang. That has been my main agenda for staying at this hotel anyway. Yoi can even skip breakfast at the hotel since the food outside is much nicer (and cheaper too). The hotel itself is acceptable but could be better. Not the best but you get what you pay for.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
TonyGoh-GM, General Manager at Cititel Penang, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
Dear Guest

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang.

Thank you for taking the time to share your review and I am glad to note that you had enjoyed your stay here as well as our famed Penang food.

We appreciate your kind comments about our location and you may be pleased to note that we are currently completing our refurbishment programme of our guest rooms and you may wish to try out these rooms on your next visit.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Penang again soon and until then, my best wishes for a great weekend ahead.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012 via mobile

Was here for a weekend holiday, booked a standard room since this hotel is highly recommended by my friend in Penang since it was recently refurbished. Booked the room online and payment was charged to my card, I have specifically requested for a non smoking room. I was greatly disappointed when they gave me the only room in the hotel without a bathtub, they offered to change my room, and gave me an extremely smoky smoking room! Asked to change to another room but they asked me pay RM50 extra for a superior room. Firstly, I have paid for the room more than 3 days before I checked in, secondly I have insisted of a non smoking room, thirdly I have arrived at 1.15pm and they still failed to allocatea room for me till 2.15pm and am the only guest waItIng In the lobby, maybe I am more demanding but shouldn't they have allocated a room for me earlier since my payment was cleared few days ago? Looking at the quality of room, it isn't worth it to upgrade my room, it's really old and smelly, can hear kIds screamIng In a few rooms next to mIne from my room, fortunately it's just one night, will just bear with it

• Stayed August 2012
Dear Guest

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang.

Thank you for taking the time to share the experience of your recent stay with us. Please accept my sincere apologies for the room allocation for your stay. It was high occupancy here during then, but that is certainly no excuse for what you had experienced of your stay here. i truly apologise.

i have also spoken to my Front Office and Housekeeping Managers on better management of the room allocation for our guests as well as the upkeep of our rooms and i regret that we did not meet up to your expectations.

I do hope that you will give us another opportunity to make amends and please do not hesitate to contact me further at gm@cititelpenang.com if I may be of further assistance.

Mid North Coast
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

My friend and I recently stayed at this hotel and whilst it was generally good, there was certainly room for improvement. We had an ocean view recently renovated room which was excellent. The only down side was that if you had the curtains open to look at the view, the room heated up and the air con took over 24 hours to cool it back down. The biggest drawback with the hotel was that they had a beautiful bar above reception that did great drinks, but smoking was allowed and in a confined space it just stank to the point that we refused to get drinks there again. Being that we are from Australia, our bars don't allow smoking any more, so we are more sensitive to it, but the smell was awful and it filtered down into reception. I was pleased that our non smoking room was in fact smell free. These are the only downsides though. The hotel, the staff and breakfast were all excellent. I would probably stay there again if I was to return to Penang

Just a side note, there is a bus stop across the road from the hotel, but not all of the buses listed actually stop there. We had 2 x attempts and taking the bus to Batu Ferrenghi beach but the buses never came. We ended up taking a taxi, but would have had to walk to Komtar to be able to catch a bus there.

Also another heads up, all the taxis have signs saying that they are metered but they ALL charge fixed prices around the island.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang and thank you for taking the time to share your comments about your recent stay with us.

Thank you for your positive comments about our room but regret the down-side of the air-conditioning, for which i apologise. I have spoken to my Maintenance and Housekeeping Managers to ensure that this issue does not recur,

I am sorry for the discomfort you encountered with regards to the smell of smoke, but truly thank you for your kind understanding about Malaysian laws with regards to smoking in a confined area. We do try to prevent the smell from getting elsewhere by using the air purifier to cleanse the air in and outside of the lounge area. Please be assured that we will continue to do our utmost to contain the smoky smell in this area.

Thank you once again for taking the time to write and I look forward to welcoming you back for another stay.

Tony Goh

Been to Cititel Penang? Share your experiences!