“The hotel for you if the main agenda is Penang Food” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Cititel Penang

You added Cititel Penang to your Saves list
Cititel Penang
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   66 Jalan Penang, George Town, Penang Island 10000, Malaysia   |
Ranked #20 of 54 Hotels in George Town
Kuala Lumpur
“The hotel for you if the main agenda is Penang Food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

Actually this is my 2nd time staying at this hotel. The hotel is conviniently located in heart of the city and within walking distance to most of the famous food attractions in Penang. That has been my main agenda for staying at this hotel anyway. Yoi can even skip breakfast at the hotel since the food outside is much nicer (and cheaper too). The hotel itself is acceptable but could be better. Not the best but you get what you pay for.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
TonyGoh-GM, General Manager at Cititel Penang, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
Dear Guest

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang.

Thank you for taking the time to share your review and I am glad to note that you had enjoyed your stay here as well as our famed Penang food.

We appreciate your kind comments about our location and you may be pleased to note that we are currently completing our refurbishment programme of our guest rooms and you may wish to try out these rooms on your next visit.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Penang again soon and until then, my best wishes for a great weekend ahead.

Tony Goh

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012 via mobile

Was here for a weekend holiday, booked a standard room since this hotel is highly recommended by my friend in Penang since it was recently refurbished. Booked the room online and payment was charged to my card, I have specifically requested for a non smoking room. I was greatly disappointed when they gave me the only room in the hotel without a bathtub, they offered to change my room, and gave me an extremely smoky smoking room! Asked to change to another room but they asked me pay RM50 extra for a superior room. Firstly, I have paid for the room more than 3 days before I checked in, secondly I have insisted of a non smoking room, thirdly I have arrived at 1.15pm and they still failed to allocatea room for me till 2.15pm and am the only guest waItIng In the lobby, maybe I am more demanding but shouldn't they have allocated a room for me earlier since my payment was cleared few days ago? Looking at the quality of room, it isn't worth it to upgrade my room, it's really old and smelly, can hear kIds screamIng In a few rooms next to mIne from my room, fortunately it's just one night, will just bear with it

• Stayed August 2012
Dear Guest

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang.

Thank you for taking the time to share the experience of your recent stay with us. Please accept my sincere apologies for the room allocation for your stay. It was high occupancy here during then, but that is certainly no excuse for what you had experienced of your stay here. i truly apologise.

i have also spoken to my Front Office and Housekeeping Managers on better management of the room allocation for our guests as well as the upkeep of our rooms and i regret that we did not meet up to your expectations.

I do hope that you will give us another opportunity to make amends and please do not hesitate to contact me further at gm@cititelpenang.com if I may be of further assistance.

Mid North Coast
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

My friend and I recently stayed at this hotel and whilst it was generally good, there was certainly room for improvement. We had an ocean view recently renovated room which was excellent. The only down side was that if you had the curtains open to look at the view, the room heated up and the air con took over 24 hours to cool it back down. The biggest drawback with the hotel was that they had a beautiful bar above reception that did great drinks, but smoking was allowed and in a confined space it just stank to the point that we refused to get drinks there again. Being that we are from Australia, our bars don't allow smoking any more, so we are more sensitive to it, but the smell was awful and it filtered down into reception. I was pleased that our non smoking room was in fact smell free. These are the only downsides though. The hotel, the staff and breakfast were all excellent. I would probably stay there again if I was to return to Penang

Just a side note, there is a bus stop across the road from the hotel, but not all of the buses listed actually stop there. We had 2 x attempts and taking the bus to Batu Ferrenghi beach but the buses never came. We ended up taking a taxi, but would have had to walk to Komtar to be able to catch a bus there.

Also another heads up, all the taxis have signs saying that they are metered but they ALL charge fixed prices around the island.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang and thank you for taking the time to share your comments about your recent stay with us.

Thank you for your positive comments about our room but regret the down-side of the air-conditioning, for which i apologise. I have spoken to my Maintenance and Housekeeping Managers to ensure that this issue does not recur,

I am sorry for the discomfort you encountered with regards to the smell of smoke, but truly thank you for your kind understanding about Malaysian laws with regards to smoking in a confined area. We do try to prevent the smell from getting elsewhere by using the air purifier to cleanse the air in and outside of the lounge area. Please be assured that we will continue to do our utmost to contain the smoky smell in this area.

Thank you once again for taking the time to write and I look forward to welcoming you back for another stay.

putrajaya
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

Lovely sea view from 18th floor room.. free parking. The staff are very friendly and helpful and provide and awonderful service in all departments. We enjoyed the closeness to great shopping venues (commercial and local handcrafts). We will be staying here again on our next visit whenever that may be, hopefully next year. With many eating place within walking distance. Near Chow Rasta market and Komtar.

Room Tip: Higher floor nice view
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
TonyGoh-GM, General Manager at Cititel Penang, responded to this review, August 30, 2012
Dear Guest

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang!

My team and I are extremely delighted to note that you and your family had a great stay with us. Thank you for your gracious comments about our team members and we are glad that we had made your stay a fulfilling one too.

I do hope that you will be visiting again soon, and until then, my best wishes for a wonderful Hari Merdeka weekend ahead!

Perth, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

Me and my family went to this hotel in April 2012. While checking in they said that they won't charge for a spare mattress for my baby while I wanted to pay the deposit I saw that they have added 50$ more just for a mattress!!! and when I say mattress that we agreed on they sent a foam!!!
It was a bad experience that we had with their dishonesty.
The room was OK by itself. Clean and as it should be but it is definitely over priced.
I have to say that in general hotels in Malaysia are expensive comparing to other Asian countries and staff are rarely good and helpful.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay with us. I regret to learn of your experience and please accept my apologies for the disappointment and inconvenience.

Please let me explain: the extra bed and sofa bed (for children below 12) are all chargeable at RM50 each whilst we provide complimentary baby cots for children under the age of one. I am sorry that this was not highlighted during your stay in April as I am sure that it could have been sorted out prior to your leaving.

Nevertheless, please do not hesitate to contact me at gm@cititelpenang.com should you wish to discuss this further with me.

Thank you once again for taking the time to share your review and I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you and your family back to Cititel Penang again.

singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

My husband and I enjoyed our 2 nights stay earlier this month.

We booked a standard room with breakfast and were given a 7th floor - which had a lovely seaview. The check in was handled very efficiently by a young chinese lady (sounded local)who was very friendly and offered useful advice on the different shopping malls I could visit, when I asked her. As the requested room was not ready yet in the early afternoon, she offered us a welcome drink at the coffeehouse.

The buffet breakfast was quite good value for the price - with a good choice of freshly baked bread as well as local delights.

The location of the hotel was superb - very conveniently located in Georgetown - with many eating places/shopping malls within walking distance.

I will not not hesitate to recommend this hotel to family and friends.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang .

Thank you for sharing the review on your recent stay at Cititel Penang and I trust that you had a good trip home.

I am elated to know that you have had a fulfilling stay with us and I have shared your kind comments with my team with much pride.

Thank you for your recommendation and I look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Penang.

Wishing you a great weekend ahead.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

Once again i was proven right when i decided to book this hotel for 2 nights during the hari raya holidays. I took the high floors i.e. 17th floor for the great view of the city skyline. The price was reasonable considering it was the peak period. I booked it online.

When i got to the hotel, i found the front counter staff to be very friendly and helpful and courteous...always with a smile and were generous with their "thank you"s.
The room was spick and span i.e. clean. The free internet connection was good. Fast enough to surf the net comfortably.

The breakfast spread has greatly improved since my last stay in 2010. There were many varieties of food to choose from. The place was also well decorated in view of the raya festival. The waiters and waitresses were efficient and were quick to clear the tables.

I did face a little problem trying to find parking when i returned to the hotel after dinner last night. Perhaps Cititel could look into this during your next major renovation.

Nevertheless, all in all, this is and shall be my regular hotel whenever i am in Georgetown, penang. Good job, and keep it up.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang..

Thank you so much for writing in to share your thoughts – I am most delighted to note that you have had a most enjoyable stay here and my sincere appreciation for your kind and gracious comments about our hotel team members and the service rendered.

I have taken note of the parking issue you highlighted - my apologies for the inconvenience caused. I have personally spoken to the car park operator to ensure that our in-house guests are given priority in having a car park lot upon their return to the hotel. Our Security team will constantly check that this is acted upon.

Thank you once again for your taking the time to share your stay experience - my team and I look forward to welcoming you and your family back soon!.

Selamat Menyambut Hari Merdeka !

Tony

Been to Cititel Penang? Share your experiences!