“good location, dated facility” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Cititel Penang

You added Cititel Penang to your Saves list
Cititel Penang
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   66 Jalan Penang, George Town, Penang Island 10000, Malaysia   |
Ranked #20 of 54 Hotels in George Town
Colorado
“good location, dated facility”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2011

The location is great. The lobby looks fine too. But the room is very small and the furniture is dated. Bathroom is tiny and rustic. The swimming pool was disgusting when we stayed there. The water in it was muddy and greenish, not to mention that the size of the pool is tiny. The fitness center smells. We gave up the idea of work out in the hotel.

There are a hawker center and a pub to one side of the hotel and they can be really noisy at night. So make sure to ask for a bed on the quiet side of the hotel, the side that faces the downtown area, not the ocean.

I still gave it a 3 star because of the location and also the bedding. The sheets they use are very clean, dry, and smells fresh.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
GM-CPG, General Manager at Cititel Penang, responded to this review, December 2, 2011
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to share the experience of your stay at Cititel Penang.

We regret that you did not get to enjoy our indoor jacuzzi pool during your stay in January because of the faulty water pump of the pool and as this happened during the Chinese New Year public holidays, the repair of the pump took longer than usual because of the festive closure at the contractor’s. Again, my apologies for the inconvenience caused to you and your family.

On a brighter note, I am glad that our other facilities and services were up to your expectations and my team and I look forward to welcoming you and your family back again soon.

Tony Goh

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Morundah, New South Wales, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2011

Yes the rooms are not big, they may be a bit dated, but I found them clean and adequate for sleeping, beds a bit hard but everything else OK. Staff were friendly and efficient even when we had a last minute change in booking, door staff, front of house all staff were excellent. Breakfast was fantastic with so much choice. A central location for me to do business and catch up with old friends, ferry is within walking distance as well as little India, shopping and heaps of places to eat. The Ship Inn just around the corner is still great, even after not being there for 23 years it still is the best steak in town. Citidel is a great place to stay, if you want resorts look elsewhere, this is a great 3 star affordable place to stay with great staff, will stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Dear Guest

Warmest greetings from Cititel Penang!

I am indeed very pleased to know that you had a wonderful stay with us.

I have shared your kind comments with my team members here and have thanked them for their dedication and hard work in ensuring that our guests have a fulfilling stay with us.

All of us certainly look forward to welcoming you back to Cititel Penang again and please do not hesitate to contact me directly at gm@cititelpenang.com if I may be of further assistance.

Thank you once again for taking the time to share your experience with us and may I wish you a good weekend ahead.

Malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2011

We booked 2 deluxe rooms. Check in time was informed as 2.00pm. But only one room was ready for check in. Another room was delayed until 3.30pm. Reason given no staffs to clean room. The front desk officer did not say sorry, he was rude and not bothered.

Otherwise , the rooms and breakfast was good. For breakfast they even had indian vegetarian dishes as it was Thaipusam day. Location is good too.

Room Tip: Rooms located on the left -hand sides have seaview and rooms on right hand side have city view.
  • Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
GM-CPG, General Manager at Cititel Penang, responded to this review, October 29, 2011
Dear Guest

Warmest Greetings from Cititel Penang. My team and I thank you for taking the time to write in to share the experience of your recent stay here.

Please accept my profound apologies for the inconveniences encountered by our shortcomings upon your check-in. I would like to reassure you that I am looking into the matters you highlighted with my Front Office Manager with utmost priority to ensure such incidents do not recur.

On a happier note, I am glad to note that our rooms and breakfast selections were a plus point.

Thank you once again for writing as it is through these feedback that we can continuously strive to improve and ensure that our guests enjoy their stay with us.

We look forward to be given another opportunity to make amends and look forward to welcoming you back to Cititel Penang again soon.

Malaysia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2011

I chose this hotel after checking out the reviews in Tripadvisor; some complaints but was impressed that the hotel took the trouble to reply and mention that they'd addressed the issues/complaints. But sorry to say, I found myself experiencing the same situations as well. First of, checking in was fast once I called attention to myself as there were 3 staff and not one looked up or bothered to. At check-in, I was asked my preference of paper in the morning but rather disappointingly, it was not delivered. The other disappointing experiences included the single toothbrush and 1 pair of bedroom slippers even though the room was booked and paid in advance for 2 persons. Plenty of choice for breakfast spread but was not replenished fast enough, and there were some quality issues. Yes, the juice turned out to be cordial. As for the room itself, I opted for the deluxe as advised so that was satisfactory (refurbished), on the small side but sufficient for a night's stay. Sea view (as requested) room which was great and air quality in the room was fine. Bathroom could do with more than the 1 light though.
My main complaint would be the less than professional staff encountered from the front desk to the dining staff. At checkout there was not even a "thank you" - which is appalling for a hotel located on an island known for its tourist industry. She even tried to get out of printing a receipt for me! The hotel is well located and for the price you pay, it should get plenty of repeat business if you can look past the poor service.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
GM-CPG, General Manager at Cititel Penang, responded to this review, October 26, 2011
Dear Guest

Warmest Greetings from Cititel Penang.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of staying with us last week.

Please allow me to convey my sincere apologies to you on the less than desirable experience you have encountered during your stay - this is not how we normally carry out our operations here. Having spoken to my Front Office Manager, Housekeeper and F&B Manager to have their team members to be more attentive in their work and having taken the necessary action, I will personally check on the improvement expected from them and their team members.

I have also spoken to my Ktichen team on our breakfast spread and although we serve chilled juices at breakfast, we would be more than delighted to offer freshly-squeezed juices when it is requested for by our guests.

It is with much regret that we have obviously failed to meet your expectations; however, we do appreciate and accept your sincere comments about our shortfalls and genuinely hope that we will be given another opportunity to make amends on your next visit to Penang.

Thank you once again for the taking the time to write and I look forward to the opportunity of personally welcoming you back to Cititel Penang.

Please contact me at gm@cititelpenang.com if I may be of further assistance.

Currently Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2011

It's hard to beat the location of the Cititel Hotel, right on Jalan Penang, a busy street with shops, restaurants, and the free shuttle bus and regular city buses The hotel itself isn't bad either: great lobby, pleasant rooms (although small), good breakfast, and friendly staff. It's a real bargain for the price, USD 68 through Hotel.com. Regarding another reviewer's complaint about the coffee machine, with that machine you get about six choices of how you want your coffee, instead of just one, so I liked that feature.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
GM-CPG, General Manager at Cititel Penang, responded to this review, October 13, 2011
Dear Guest

It is indeed most delightful to know that you had a wonderful stay with us during your recent trip to Penang - thank you for the compliments on our hotel facilities and services.

I have shared your kind comments with my team members and have thanked them for their dedication and hard work in ensuring that our guests have a fulfilling stay with us.

All of us certainly look forward to welcoming you back to Cititel Penang again and thank you once again for taking the time to share your experience with us.

Wishing you a great weekend.

Penang Island, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2011

I 'm from a cooperate company,I will arrange Hotel rooms for my Staff & Guest.Cititel is one of the upgraded hotel in town.Sales personal were very friendly with quick respond.Price were moderate and located in the heart of the City.It's a walking distance to famous hawkers stalls and The room was clean, Food: breakfast was good and in local & Asia taste, in buffet style. A lot of selection. Coffee was served in a Nescafe machine.. with many choice inclusive of Milo, Mocha and Cappuccino. Even the Tea Break Food & Beverages were good .Parking lots for in-house guests is limited and Chargeable. Overall, there's nothing much to complain about Cititel Hotel. It's decent enough for a short stay and yet it is located in strategic place with Night Life spot at a nearby Upper Penang Road.

Room Tip: It's Convenient to go Shopping,Looking for local food & Souvenir .
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
GM-CPG, General Manager at Cititel Penang, responded to this review, October 9, 2011
Dear Mr Lau

Thank you so much for your positive feedback and am very glad to know that all went well during your events at Cititel Penang last week.

I am extremely delighted to know that our services and facilities were up to your expectations and that my team had assisted in creating a fulfilling stay and great experiences for you, your guests and your associates during each stay at our hotel. Your kind comments will surely spur us to improve ourselves further and do our utmost in providing the best!

Again, thank you for taking the time to share your experience and we look forward to welcoming you, your guests and associates back to Cititel Penang time and time again.

Wishing you and your team a great week ahead and my sincere thanks for your continued patronage and support!

With best personal regards

Kuala Lumpur
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2011 via mobile

Just came back from a wedding banquet in Cititel Penang. The room was clean, but a lil bit too small for my liking, especially after we added an additional bed.

Food: breakfast was ok, standard buffet style. Not much selection. Coffee was served in a Nescafe machine.. Could have done better by serving freshly brewed coffee.
Wedding banquet food was ok, typical chinese wedding food. Its forgettable.

Room: clean, but weird smell lurking along the hallways. Friendly housekeeping staff though.

Bathroom: clean towels, and bathroom. But why on earth do they use dispenser for body and hair shampoo?? No bottled soaps, hair shampoo or conditioner provided.

Staff service: we checked in around 3am.. Front desk was quite helpful to prepRe the room.
The staff at the cafe for breakfast buffet however was quite rude to us. As if we were trying to get in for free.

Overall, its a moderate hotel, nothing to shout about. Would try other place if possible.

• Stayed October 2011
GM-CPG, General Manager at Cititel Penang, responded to this review, October 4, 2011
Dear Guest

Warmest Greetings from Penang and thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us.

Much thanks for your kind comments on the services rendered by our Front Desk and Housekeeping teams. My apologies if our rooms were not up to your expectations. The room which you stayed in is our Standard category, which is earmarked for refurbishment soon; you may perhaps wish to try our Superior or Deluxe rooms on your future visits, which have been newly renovated and equipped with a 32-inch LCD TV and bathroom amenities which I’m sure will be more to your liking.

Again, my apologies on your less than satisfactory breakfast experience - I have spoken to my Food & Beverage Manager on the lack of attention to our guests at the outlet and have taken the necessary action to ensure this does not recur. We appreciate your comments about having coffee freshly brewed and served at the table; our service team would be delighted to do so should our guests request for it during breakfast.

Nevertheless, I hope that you did not allow the above to detract you from the overall enjoyment of your stay with us and I certainly look forward to the opportunity of personally welcoming you back to Cititel Penang again soon.

Tony Goh

Been to Cititel Penang? Share your experiences!