“Good value if you visit for medical destination” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Georgetown City Hotel

You added Georgetown City Hotel to your Saves list
Georgetown City Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1-Stop Midlands Park, Burmah Road, George Town, Penang Island 10350, Malaysia (Formerly Berjaya Penang Hotel)   |
Special Offer
BOOK EARLY, SAVE MORE!
Ranked #34 of 70 Hotels in George Town
Tangerang, Indonesia
“Good value if you visit for medical destination”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013 via mobile

I'm coming for medical check up this hotel located just in front of our hospital (adventist hospital), overall it's good hotel, it's clean and tidy. It just a bit old, but the facilities are good enough. You'll get more discount if you visit for medical, ask recommendtion letter from hospital. It's only one thing make me dissapointed, they don't have internet facilities no wifi in room. I think nowadays it's quite important.

• Stayed July 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
  • Indonesian first
Denpasar
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

sorry about this but I have to bring up some things about my stay, it really wasn't good. I know it is important to know the problems so you can fix them.

- No pillowcase on one pillow
- The bathroom had a very mouldy smell
- I called for room service a few times and they never picked up. And there was no room service menu in my room. So I ended up just going downstairs to order room service
- The food is not good.

And of course the problem the other day with Reservation staff, that won't give me airport pick up because I don't want to give my credit card detail and prefer to pay with bank transfer.

As I said I hope that this helps you improve your service for the future.

Room Tip: pick other place, this is old hotel, non friendly staff
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Kuala Lumpur
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013 via mobile

Stayed in this hotel 90% of the time am in Penang over the past five years or so as this hotel was part of a timeshare program. No doubt the hotel furnishing has deteriorated over the years but they have refurbished in stages over the past couple of years.

Since having stayed so many times, would usually not give repeated reviews unless the situation warrants it.

Location:

It is convenient to most places if one know the shortest route to your intended destination. Next to a mediocre mall but enough to serve one's needs for food and minor purchases.

Near to Pulau Tikus market where there are famous food e.g. char kuey teow and the Nyonya nasi lemak at Jin Hoe.

Car park and lifts:

Both were small and limited. The lift timing has tremendously improved but will almost never arrive when they are hosting a function. If you go back late, you would most likely have no parking spot.

Room:

Overall spacious and comfortable. The furniture were old but carefully repainted/refurbished. Carpet is dated and could do with a change. Bedsheets were clean and bed firm but comfortable. Loved the new addition of a bolster. Lighting could be brighter as room is quite dim even with all lights on. TV is no longer the chunky CRT type which was still there two to three years back! Good selection of channels.

View was good as requested higher floors. Though there were apartment blocks surrounding but on a higher floor you can have seaview (on request) and an interesting perspective of the next building due to the unique layout of the top floor penthouses prompting me to look for such a penthouse if I do purchase one.

Bathroom:

Small but not tiny. The bath tub really deserves a replacement as it is stained and rusted at places where there were cracks. Water pressure was great though am at one of the highest floors. Generous with toiletries.

Breakfast:

Adequate and fast service but this is Penang, a food haven, so go out and eat! My room didn't come with breakfast but chose to pay (very affordable) for it on my last day of stay. Taste and variety wise, it's on par with other hotels' that are in the same price range.

Pub:

Can forget about this as it is almost not functional with limited chairs and meant only to serve the welcome drink.

Pool:

Yes it is small but I have seen even smaller ones about the size of a jacuzzi at certain hotels. Size is just right for a dip on a hot day and easy for you to keep an eye on kids if you are lounging by the pool.

Service:

This was what prompted the high ratings and my latest impression of this hotel. My stay was during the Wesak weekend where the hotel was fully booked and Penang is choked with tourists.

The staff were friendly and helpful. At the breakfast, they were very efficient in cleaning up and replenishing food.

The house keeping were friendly and these were foreign helpers who attempts to greet you in English.

The front desk staff is superb! Rosley tried to accommodate all our four rooms on the same floor but as the hotel was very full, he tried his best to come out with alternative arrangements which suits us fine. He was very patient with all our requests and as not all the rooms were ready, we were given those that were and he made arrangements to deliver our key cards as promised and called us to ensure that we received them.

Then there is another bespectacled Chinese girl by the name of Carol (I think, getting old and forgot her name as delayed the review) who is also very patient and efficient on one of the rooms that were checking in much later. However, her attributes could go many miles more if she smiled more to the guests as this would make her even more approachable which is important in the hospitality line.

I always look for the names of hospitality personnel if they have their name tags on and thank them by their names. This will at most times gives an instant smile from their hearts. For hotels, since they have the guests' names with them, they should also greet their guests with Mr/Ms so and so. It feels more personal and gives guests the feeling that they value you as a guest and not just another statistics to their occupancy levels. Many hotels don't do this except for five stars/international chain or some boutique hotels. Georgetown City's front desk did address me by my name.

Will return for my next trip and keep up the good work.

• Stayed May 2013
C-Xin, General Manager at Georgetown City Hotel, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Thank you to our guest Lifejourneys for the very detailed and overall positive review. We are glad that he is a repeat guest and as such is most appropriate to comment on the changes he experienced at Georgetown City Hotel over the years.
We also take note of his feedback, in particular :
# slow lift - we hope Reviewer and our other guests will bear with us as our hotel has 29 floors thus lift travelling time may take a bit longer during high occupancy. This is worsen by some guests riding the lift up/down the wrong way and adding to the crowd.
# parking - during school holidays, the parking is inevitably full as many guests drive to Penang. For info, there is additional car park at B1(Hotel's one is B2) which can also be used.
# carpet in rooms - we have renovated most of our rooms & changed the carpets leaving only less than 15% to be done in the near future. Some of the new carpets have a dull earthy color which leads to assumption that it is old & dirty.
# bath tub - similarly, all bathtubs are re-surfaced when we do our renovation and re-done as necessary. As such, it is short time before this is improved to the satisfaction of Reviewer and other guests.
# lighting - we will start increasing the wattage of the lighting in our rooms in stages from 1 July 2013.

At the same time, we appreciate Lifejourneys' positive comments on our good location, the view from the room, good water pressure and the special addition - a bolster !
Most of all, we are most grateful for his recognition of the excellent service of our staff, from the Cafe to Housekeeping and to Front Desk, in particular Rosli & Carol (not her correct name but we will ask her to smile more despite the high occupancy stress).

We look forward to having Lifejourneys back to see the continuous improvements we intend to make.
Singapore, null, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

The location is great next to all the food and amenities. The rooms is clean and the high floor views are great. Easy access to all the great places in Penang. Centrally located and the hotel staff are helpful. I recommend your stay here.

Room Tip: The high floor units commands good views
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

We celebrated our First Narcis Gathering in the ballroom. We would like to thank Mr Arthur and his team for the excellent services rendered to us. The selection of food was sumptuous and service was tops! Everyone had an enjoyable time!

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Cheltenham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

Good price for what we got, clean rooms, clean bedding etc. But the bar and reception area could do with some updating. Also I wouldn't bother with the pool its tiny. The location is ok if you want to go to Gurney Drive which is a short walk but its a good 10-15 min taxi ride into Georgetown.

Lastly do not trust the scale on the tourist maps in the reception area, they aren't published by the hotel but what appear to be short distances on the map can actually turn out to be a couple of miles! Which in 33 degree heat is not comfortable!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

I was there for a friend's wedding. I stayed at Georgetown City Hotel for 3 nights, formerly known as Berjaya Penang Hotel. There is one Georgetown Hotel at Georgetown. If you are going to take taxi back to hotel, please make sure the taxi driver knows the hotel address since a few drivers just drove me to Georgetown Hotel.... These two hotels are totally different and different locations...
The hotel room was clean and the location was just okay. A few local food courts near the hotel. I was having breakfast at the food courts rather than hotel restaurant. However, if you don't like hot weather in the morning, better stay in the hotel.
It took around 20 mins from Airport to hotel. Overall is a good hotel~!

Room Tip: I chose the cheapest room among the choices since I would not stay at the hotel room. However, if pl...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Georgetown City Hotel? Share your experiences!