“Has improved over the years.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Georgetown City Hotel

You added Georgetown City Hotel to your Saves list
Georgetown City Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1-Stop Midlands Park, Burmah Road, George Town, Penang Island 10350, Malaysia (Formerly Berjaya Penang Hotel)   |
Special Offer
FAMILY GETAWAY!
Ranked #28 of 55 Hotels in George Town
Kuala Lumpur
“Has improved over the years.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013 via mobile

Stayed in this hotel 90% of the time am in Penang over the past five years or so as this hotel was part of a timeshare program. No doubt the hotel furnishing has deteriorated over the years but they have refurbished in stages over the past couple of years.

Since having stayed so many times, would usually not give repeated reviews unless the situation warrants it.

Location:

It is convenient to most places if one know the shortest route to your intended destination. Next to a mediocre mall but enough to serve one's needs for food and minor purchases.

Near to Pulau Tikus market where there are famous food e.g. char kuey teow and the Nyonya nasi lemak at Jin Hoe.

Car park and lifts:

Both were small and limited. The lift timing has tremendously improved but will almost never arrive when they are hosting a function. If you go back late, you would most likely have no parking spot.

Room:

Overall spacious and comfortable. The furniture were old but carefully repainted/refurbished. Carpet is dated and could do with a change. Bedsheets were clean and bed firm but comfortable. Loved the new addition of a bolster. Lighting could be brighter as room is quite dim even with all lights on. TV is no longer the chunky CRT type which was still there two to three years back! Good selection of channels.

View was good as requested higher floors. Though there were apartment blocks surrounding but on a higher floor you can have seaview (on request) and an interesting perspective of the next building due to the unique layout of the top floor penthouses prompting me to look for such a penthouse if I do purchase one.

Bathroom:

Small but not tiny. The bath tub really deserves a replacement as it is stained and rusted at places where there were cracks. Water pressure was great though am at one of the highest floors. Generous with toiletries.

Breakfast:

Adequate and fast service but this is Penang, a food haven, so go out and eat! My room didn't come with breakfast but chose to pay (very affordable) for it on my last day of stay. Taste and variety wise, it's on par with other hotels' that are in the same price range.

Pub:

Can forget about this as it is almost not functional with limited chairs and meant only to serve the welcome drink.

Pool:

Yes it is small but I have seen even smaller ones about the size of a jacuzzi at certain hotels. Size is just right for a dip on a hot day and easy for you to keep an eye on kids if you are lounging by the pool.

Service:

This was what prompted the high ratings and my latest impression of this hotel. My stay was during the Wesak weekend where the hotel was fully booked and Penang is choked with tourists.

The staff were friendly and helpful. At the breakfast, they were very efficient in cleaning up and replenishing food.

The house keeping were friendly and these were foreign helpers who attempts to greet you in English.

The front desk staff is superb! Rosley tried to accommodate all our four rooms on the same floor but as the hotel was very full, he tried his best to come out with alternative arrangements which suits us fine. He was very patient with all our requests and as not all the rooms were ready, we were given those that were and he made arrangements to deliver our key cards as promised and called us to ensure that we received them.

Then there is another bespectacled Chinese girl by the name of Carol (I think, getting old and forgot her name as delayed the review) who is also very patient and efficient on one of the rooms that were checking in much later. However, her attributes could go many miles more if she smiled more to the guests as this would make her even more approachable which is important in the hospitality line.

I always look for the names of hospitality personnel if they have their name tags on and thank them by their names. This will at most times gives an instant smile from their hearts. For hotels, since they have the guests' names with them, they should also greet their guests with Mr/Ms so and so. It feels more personal and gives guests the feeling that they value you as a guest and not just another statistics to their occupancy levels. Many hotels don't do this except for five stars/international chain or some boutique hotels. Georgetown City's front desk did address me by my name.

Will return for my next trip and keep up the good work.

• Stayed May 2013
C-Xin, General Manager at Georgetown City Hotel, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Thank you to our guest Lifejourneys for the very detailed and overall positive review. We are glad that he is a repeat guest and as such is most appropriate to comment on the changes he experienced at Georgetown City Hotel over the years.
We also take note of his feedback, in particular :
# slow lift - we hope Reviewer and our other guests will bear with us as our hotel has 29 floors thus lift travelling time may take a bit longer during high occupancy. This is worsen by some guests riding the lift up/down the wrong way and adding to the crowd.
# parking - during school holidays, the parking is inevitably full as many guests drive to Penang. For info, there is additional car park at B1(Hotel's one is B2) which can also be used.
# carpet in rooms - we have renovated most of our rooms & changed the carpets leaving only less than 15% to be done in the near future. Some of the new carpets have a dull earthy color which leads to assumption that it is old & dirty.
# bath tub - similarly, all bathtubs are re-surfaced when we do our renovation and re-done as necessary. As such, it is short time before this is improved to the satisfaction of Reviewer and other guests.
# lighting - we will start increasing the wattage of the lighting in our rooms in stages from 1 July 2013.

At the same time, we appreciate Lifejourneys' positive comments on our good location, the view from the room, good water pressure and the special addition - a bolster !
Most of all, we are most grateful for his recognition of the excellent service of our staff, from the Cafe to Housekeeping and to Front Desk, in particular Rosli & Carol (not her correct name but we will ask her to smile more despite the high occupancy stress).

We look forward to having Lifejourneys back to see the continuous improvements we intend to make.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Indonesian first
Singapore, null, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

The location is great next to all the food and amenities. The rooms is clean and the high floor views are great. Easy access to all the great places in Penang. Centrally located and the hotel staff are helpful. I recommend your stay here.

Room Tip: The high floor units commands good views
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

We celebrated our First Narcis Gathering in the ballroom. We would like to thank Mr Arthur and his team for the excellent services rendered to us. The selection of food was sumptuous and service was tops! Everyone had an enjoyable time!

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Cheltenham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

Good price for what we got, clean rooms, clean bedding etc. But the bar and reception area could do with some updating. Also I wouldn't bother with the pool its tiny. The location is ok if you want to go to Gurney Drive which is a short walk but its a good 10-15 min taxi ride into Georgetown.

Lastly do not trust the scale on the tourist maps in the reception area, they aren't published by the hotel but what appear to be short distances on the map can actually turn out to be a couple of miles! Which in 33 degree heat is not comfortable!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

I was there for a friend's wedding. I stayed at Georgetown City Hotel for 3 nights, formerly known as Berjaya Penang Hotel. There is one Georgetown Hotel at Georgetown. If you are going to take taxi back to hotel, please make sure the taxi driver knows the hotel address since a few drivers just drove me to Georgetown Hotel.... These two hotels are totally different and different locations...
The hotel room was clean and the location was just okay. A few local food courts near the hotel. I was having breakfast at the food courts rather than hotel restaurant. However, if you don't like hot weather in the morning, better stay in the hotel.
It took around 20 mins from Airport to hotel. Overall is a good hotel~!

Room Tip: I chose the cheapest room among the choices since I would not stay at the hotel room. However, if pl...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Kuala Lumpur, Wilayah Persekutuan, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

My last trip to Penang was more than 15 years ago & this is my first trip where I have to arrange from A to Z. Since I have won a complimentary night at Hard Rock Penang in a seaview studio suite, I managed with the help of a friend to book a superior room for 1 night at Georgetown City Hotel at Berjaya club member price.

We checked out very early at Hard Rock as there was nothing much to do there & we wanted to see as much of Penang as we can in this short 3 day trip. We arrived at GCH before 12 noon well before check in time, we planned to drop our luggage at the reception & proceed with our day tour to Penang Hill & Kek Lok Si temple. We informed Rachel at the reception that we will check in after we come back from our day tour and much to our surprise & delight we were told that we can actually check in early with no extra cost.

As we were provided a room at the 27th floor, I was hoping to catch a good view of Penang but I was a bit disappointed with the view as it was limited coz it was blocked by the next tower. Apart from the view I have no complain with the room. The aircon is very strong & the coolness can be adjusted. My wish came true when I saw the bolster on the bed as this was not available at Hard Rock. Wow I had such a good sleep after a sleepless night on the train & another at HRH. Surprisingly, even though our room was just in front of the lift it was rather quiet.

As usual we checked out very early the next morning so that we can stored our luggage at the bellboy service & to do as much as we can before we catch another train back home. After a tiring day under the hot sun we had had enough & returned to the hotel to cool down after lunch. Rachel was always around the reception area during our stay & she saw to all our needs. As she could see that we are all worn out after our trip, she arranged the hospitality room for us to rest & to charge whatever needed to be charged. We also had a good steamboat buffet at GCH at a discounted rate as guest.

I must say that the Rapid bus transport in Penang is very good as we saved a lot on transportation. Bus 101 took us all the way from the jetty to Batu Ferringi & GCH and also to most of the places we visited. We hardly need to take the taxi as it is so convenience with the bus stops just next to the hotels. Just in case you need a taxi, we met a very friendly one by the name of Muhammad (0125246435). He even gives us a short tour around the place we wanted to go for a reasonable fee of RM15 all inclusive.

We had a very enjoyable trip & Rachel even texted us a safe journey home message while we were on the ferry. I will definitely stay in Georgetown City Hotel in my next trip to Penang.

Room Tip: Request for higher floors
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Porirua, New Zealand
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

This hotel need some tender loving care.
The list of things that were wrong and went wrong is fairly long. Door handles falling off, lights not working and lifts without lights to name a few.
Took over 24 hours to get at least one one the lights fixed in my room and another wasn't even fixed during my 7 night stay. I ended up fixing the door to my room myself as it took over a day to get maintenance to fix the same problem at the room next door.
Sometimes our room was not made up until 3 or 4pm and the house keeping times were all over the place.
Traveled here with a group and we all had similar experiences .
The breakfast we had was not good and even though it was part of the group package price we paid I didn't eat there after the 1st day as it was cold and the bread was moldy.
Found a great place next door in the mall/arcade called Satay Lounge for a good meal at all sorts of hours of the day and night.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
C-Xin, General Manager at Georgetown City Hotel, responded to this review, June 15, 2013
We certainly regret that Reviewer Malcolm T seems to have a number of problems in our Hotel. While we would like to thank him for pointing it out to us, it would have been better if he had reported it to us at that time so that it can be rectified. Our records show that one standing lamp was fixed and TV tuning was done on 6 June in his room.
With over 100 rooms from this group itself and the hotel at high occupancy during this school holiday period, we sincerely regret if we are not able to keep up to the standards, especially if the problem was not reported to us.

We would also like to clarify that the Hotel housekeeping is at work from 8am - 6pm daily. We believe this is the norm in all hotels and during busy season, it is unavoidable for some rooms to be done early while others will be done in the evenings.

Notswithstanding the above, we would like to convey our apologies to Reviewer for the inconveniences he went through during his stay. We will look into the areas mentioned and make the necessary improvements.

Been to Georgetown City Hotel? Share your experiences!