“It's the service that touches the heart of customers” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Georgetown City Hotel

Save Saved
You added Georgetown City Hotel to your Saves list
Georgetown City Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1-Stop Midlands Park, Burmah Road, Georgetown, Penang Island 10350, Malaysia (Formerly Berjaya Penang Hotel)   |
Special Offer
FREE NIGHT OFFER
Ranked #25 of 51 Hotels in Georgetown
“It's the service that touches the heart of customers”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013 via mobile

I would like to use this opportunity to thank all the staffs in the hotel. From the receptionist to the wonderful chef to the cleaning lady, please help me express ny thanks to them in facilitating my stay. Their professionalism in serving the guests really amazes me. They entertain us with constant smiles on their face,and try their best to help customers to solve their problem. I think this is an advantage that keeps customers coming in. The warmth welcome and proactivity of the hotel staffs makes us feel relaxed knowing that the staffs are so ever willing to help in everything, despite being in a foreign place. I hope this will be kept up. Maybe with some appreciate for them?
However, I would like to point out some aspects that could be improved. The elevators can be quite a long wait, especially when there is a lot of people. I would like to suggest you put little chairs for people to sit on while waiting for the elevator because it gets quite tiring standing, if that is feasible. Besides that, the toilet plumbing system for the shower needs to be repaired as it produces a really loud noise on the wall in the room beside it whenever it is in use. As for the room card, is it possible to imprint the room numbers on the cards? On top of that, communication between staffs need to be better improved to keep them updated to the latest information.eg, a special wifi discount was given to us but some of the hotel staffs were not informed and wanted to charge extra.
Lastly, I would like to express my thanks to the chef as I enjoyed the food every meal. It was really good and worth the price.
all the best georgetown city hotel!

• Stayed April 2013
C-Xin, General Manager at Georgetown City Hotel, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Dear Mchieny, thank you for the ttle of the review - Service That Touches the Heart. We are indeed touched by your recognition of the core values of our principle for service rendered.
We have taken note of the few points for improvements you mentioned and will look into how we can improve.

Regarding the lift, we do apologise as were were doing some refurbishment/touch up on one of the lifts at the time. On printing room number on the key card, this is not advisable as it is a security hazard. About the special discount for wifi, this was due to the fact that it was a last minute request from your organizer and readily agreed to. We regret that this was not communicated fast enough to all our staff.

In any case, we thank you for the positive review especially about our service and good food.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Indonesian first
Vancouver, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

For the amount my friend & I paid for our rooms, it was not worth the money. The photos on the website must be the ones taken when it first opened. The hotel & its rooms are not modern at all. The room & the sheets smelled bad. The breakfast was terrible. The only good things about the hotel was the bellboy was great & front reception staff were efficient. The taxi drivers stationed outside the hotel were great, too. One other thing, I had pre-paid in full for 2 rooms a month prior to arriving to the hotel. Upon arrival, I was asked to put a deposit down for 150MYR per room, that is a total of 300MYR. I was told it would be used towards anything I spent on during my stay at the hotel. Any money remaining would be returned to me. Well, I spent only about 50MYR. I have never been asked to put down a deposit after paid for any rooms in full. This is a ridiculous policy. I do not recommend this hotel at all.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
C-Xin, General Manager at Georgetown City Hotel, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Thank you Numbum L for staying with us. Your comments above will be helpful for us to do some introspection to see where we can improve.
While I will not be able to argue against Reviewer's perception of our hotel as "not modern at all", we have to clarify that the pictures in our website (especially of the rooms) are all from past 1-3 years ago. They are definitely not from the date of hotel opening!
We of course regret that Numbum rated us low on value but booking through the online travel agency for peak school holiday period, one is less likely to get a good bargain price-wise.
In any case, we will look into the shortcomings mentioned by Reviewer in order to improve both our product and services in future.

As for the deposit, it is common industry practise to request such for miscellaneous expenses which may or may not be incurred. We believe an amout of RM50 per day (about a quarter of the room rate) is not unreasonable. As Reviewer mentioned, the balance was duly returned to guest upon check-out. Payment to the online TA covers only room in this case.

Finally, we do want to thank Numbum L for the good comments about our efficient Front desk and great Bellboys. We do hope that Reviewer will come back to see improvements in future.
Beijing
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

The hotel is dated, and needs a facelift. We booked 2 adjoining rooms for 2 nights for our family trip. One of the room's key card kept on de-magnetizing, we had to change it every time we return to our rooms. Some light bulbs were out (in both rooms), one of the toilet bowl pipes were leaking, and both our bathrooms' taps came off! Housekeeping personnel came up within half an hour, and had them all fixed.
A/C worked perfectly fine (a much needed luxury after being under the hot sun for hours), ample of underground parking lots. The hotel's location is perfect on along Jalan Burmah where restaurants and cafes are abundant.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you CyinMin all the way from Beijing who stayed with us and gave us feedback on our product and services.

We truly regret the inconveniences our guests went through with regards to the keycards, lights, water tap and leaks. We know that having check into a hotel, one would surely expect everything to be in good working order. While we fully understand his dissatisfaction, We hope that Reviewer would forgive our shortcomings during that busy school holiday season.

We also hope that Reviewer would give our team due credit for having fixed all the above problems within half hour. Thanks also for mentioning about our A/C, ample parking and great location.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

I'm a frequent guest at this particular hotel and I would say that it has improved a lot since my complain to the management on 2011. They changed the beds, carpets, and did some other refurbishments in the room which made me feel more comfortable to continue staying there in the future. It is better to choose rooms at higher floors, away from the bar. There's also a small pool at the 8th floor. Most of the time, when I arrive around 2-3PM at the lobby I would still need to walk for another half an hour or more for my room to be ready. This is a real nuisance sometimes as my family came all the way from KL and thats after a 5 hour drive on the road. Hopefully they can train their housekeeping to be more efficient. The hotel is right above Midlands Park which have nothing much to shop, honestly. But the good thing is, it is also situated right behind of Gurney Plaza and we can walk there within 5-10 minutes. Great for shoppers and families. The buffet breakfast is the same almost every time so don't harbor for much variety or changes. The good thing about Penang is, you have good food everywhere! So venture out and eat!

• Stayed December 2012
C-Xin, Owner at Georgetown City Hotel, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Thank you to Reviewer PuiYeng who is a regular at Georgetown City Hotel. We are delighted that she noticed and appreciated the improvements in the rooms. The hotel actually started refurbishments in 2010 floor by floor. In 2011, many of the rooms are still not done yet but as at present we are pleased to inform that almost 90% of the total rooms refurbishment has been completed.

Regarding waiting time to check in, our hotel check in time is 3pm (as are most hotels). However, as many guests checks out between 12.00 - 2.00pm, we really have very little time to clean up the rooms. We hope Reviewer will continue to bear with us especially during peak season. On our side, we will of course continue to make efforts to improve both the product and service for all our guests.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

Put up for 2 nites. Room was inintially cosy with great view until we noticed that it ran out of tissue papers and the shower dispenser ran out of shower foam and had to inform the staff. Breakfast contained limited choices. If you are someone who loves local food should be alrite. Out of 2 single beds, one of them on the 2nd nite contained visible stains on both the pillow cases and bed sheet.

Hotel has plenty of rooms for improvement....

• Stayed March 2013
C-Xin, General Manager at Georgetown City Hotel, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Thank you for staying with us KohaiAdventurous. We regret the inconveniences you mentioned in your review. Our Housekeeping Team has been reminded to be more alert in future.

In any case, we are happy that you like our cosy room with great views and hope you will be back again in future to see the improvements for yourself after your feedback.
Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

This was my third time to Penang, and I have always stayed in this hotel and in its junior suite. My friend(s) wanted somewhere near Gurney Drive, and this may be the best choice unless you have much more budget for G Hotel.

The suites are of arguably low rates, and are cosy and spacious enough. The hotel is near the temple with Sleeping Buddha (20-min walking down the road), and Gurney Plaza (15-min cutting through residential bungalows at the back of the hotel).

Other good points include old-school coffee shops nearby for breakfast, a KFC restaurant next door, convenience stores below, a bus stop and a taxi stand directly outside the hotel.

My one slight complaint is the swimming pool which was disturbingly milky during my stay. The gym is serviceable and well-attended though.

Room Tip: 1) Request for a room on a higher rise when you may even see the ocean. 2) Compare the package rate...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

Stay recently in March and very please with the service provided by all front line and coffee house staff.
Room cleanliness still have to improve as found dusty at certain area but over service is prompt and friendly.
Gym need an upgrade and pool is too small. The location is a +plus value.
Public transport like bus stop and taxi are just at the front of the hotel, very convenient for guest.

Room Tip: request room at high floor.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Been to Georgetown City Hotel? Share your experiences!