“NOT TOO BAD” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Gurney Resort Hotel & Residences

You added Gurney Resort Hotel & Residences to your Saves list
Gurney Resort Hotel & Residences
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   18 Persiaran Gurney, George Town, Penang Island 10250 , Malaysia   |
Ranked #36 of 54 Hotels in George Town
Singapore, Singapore
“NOT TOO BAD”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

Having made the mistake of not reading the trip advisor reviews before booking this hotel, which were not very complementary, I was surprised to find this hotel reasonable for the price. The staff were good except for the front desk staff who were incapable of doing their job. The pool was great and big with very few people using it. Overall the place is a bit run down but not as bad as I expected and in a good location.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
GurneyHotel, General Manager at Gurney Resort Hotel & Residences, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your comment and appreciated it. We will follow up to inform the manager on the front desk staffs concerned. Besides, the hotel had been operated since year 2000 and we are in current process to refurbish and upgrade the guest room.
We are looking forward to welcome you for your future stay with us.

The management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

Gurney Hotel is actually a good hotel, in terms of location, view, and accessibility to Gurney Drive's hawker, and those few shopping malls located on the stretch. However, in terms of service is very poor. Here's why, I'm quite familiar with this hotel as I've stayed here almost more than 7 visits, over the last 3 years, and my family also held reunion dinner here for chinese new year a couple years back. But since my last two visits I will never recommend any of my friends back here. I checked in on the 23 August, stayed only for 1 night, arrived at 11.00 am to check in, the receptionist was friendly, I requested for a refurnished room, room given was at floor 27, but its only available after 2 hours , so ok, I went for a walk. I asked for welcome drinks, but the receptionist said that she included the voucher in the gold colour welcome folder. After Two hours I returned, Another receptionist, a different shift, gave me the room card. I ask about the welcome drinks voucher, she said that the drinks are only given to guest while waiting for their rooms to be ready???, ask about fruit basket, said don't have??? Anyway dint want to ruin my stay, went up to the room at floor 27, (a NON SMOKING floor), a bald doorman followed me up although I declined his service, but He insisted, When entering the room there is a cigarette scent, But I ignored. After placing my begs the bellman still refused to leave, he went in and pretended to adjust the curtains, turn on the tv , adjust lighting although I told him not to, He was acting as although insisting in a tip. So fine I gave him. I was waiting for my relative to fetch me for some sightseeing, so I only spend 15 mins in the room, on my way out I saw the housekeeping cart, I requested for extra bath soap (note that this hotel only provide, a soapbar, 2 foam bath, 1 shampoo and a sewing kit nothing else not even a razor kit nor a comb aren't these necessary? ) , the guy which looked like a foreigner from some third class country, barely spoke English, ask me why I need more, and that it was already provided in the room???.Returned at 5.00pm upon entering the room there is an intoxicating strong scent of cigarette, when my entire family is allergic to, requested the housekeeping, which weren't that fast to process request to check out the room, the housekeeping lady brought in a air freshener spray and started spraying the carpet, now the room ambience is a mess, called reception, said will send housekeeping???, but useless they did nothing, third time then the reception said they will change the room to level 33. Athough it was said that all rooms above 27th floor are refurnished its just only the change of the CRT tv to a LCD and the marble frame on the tub. This hotel must really improve on their service and their toilet amenities. The buffet breakfast was disappointing although kinda expensive RM 25 per person, varieties are poor but the Coffehouse service was actually good, and friendly. Not to mention when I actually first called this hotel on the 15th August to inquire on their availability and their rate, the reservation lady screamed and said there is no more rooms, the rate was 270 per night without breakfast for a studio suite, but hah that day itself I called my tour agent and they got me a room at RM230 same room with breakfast for two. aly slow and breakdown often, aircond takes at least 20 min to really cool up the room, and room service way overpriced, I guess thats usual. Anyway I moved the next day to Cititel 4star in georgetown (a much cheaper rate) to complete my trip in Penang, although their rooms arent that spacious compared to Gurney's but their service was Superb and Excellent, welcome drinks and a welcome fruit basket provided upon checking in without asking and a whole bunch of good toilet amenities. Gurney hotel is actually not bad, good view, at first very nice, but this place really need to buck up, and please refurnish all your rooms, and improve your service and standards, I intend to visit again if I change my mind.

Room Tip: When planning to visit think twice, if you want the best refurnished room request above floor 33, an...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for your recent stay with us. We apologizes for the shortcoming during your stay with us and the comments have been shared with the respective managers to further improve on the services and facilities we are offering and hope to see your again.

The management
Mumbai (Bombay), India
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

The hotel is nicely located and one can have a nice walk and view of the ocean. But has only a few rooms which are up to the mark. In every room there is some problem or the other. I had to change 4 rooms before settling into one which was manageable. Either the split air conditioner was not working or the shower not working or carpet being smelly. The worst situation was one room where the intercom was not working and I think I was on the 35th floor. I had to take the elevator to the reception to complain about the situation. In the restaurant you hardly have any things for vegetarians. Elevator is slow.

Room Tip: The upper floors were renovated (probably from the 29th going upwards). These rooms have new carpets...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for the recent stay with us and your comment.
We apology for the shortcoming of the lift and room conditions, however, for your information, our room upgrading project is currently carry out on stage by stage basis.
we are sorry and looking forward on your future stay with us.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

Been there took up 10rooms

Good stuff
- great location with nice sea view
- huge rooms

Not so good stuff
- you may have to take the stairs during peak hours or weekends. The elevator extremely slow. I ran down by stairs as others we were waiting for me at the lobby. Kinda freaky being the only lady in the emergency stairways. I waited for a good 20mins at the lift lobby.
- rooms are outdated
- breakfast so so
- couldn't get breakfast vouchers upon check in. Staff was too busy to write room numbers and names into 20pieces of vouchers. had to approach front office 3 times for our breakfast vouchers, which then was troublesome for me. I had to ring on all other 9 rooms to pass the vouchers. To do so, again, I had to save time by taking the stairs. Lift just doesn't arrive. Vouchers for breakfast??? Really outdated..... Just print a list of room numbers, guest can just mention room numbers at the restaurant. Please consider.
- upon room bookings, I have informed the reservation office that I need all 10 cars to be parked at the hotel entrance. Somehow they agreed for all, but upon arrival, we were all scattered and staff discussing among themselves on how to arrange. Couldn't wait, some of us parked by the road, public car parks.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
GurneyHotel, General Manager at Gurney Resort Hotel & Residences, responded to this review, September 28, 2013
Thank you for the recent stay with us and your comment.
We apology for the shortcoming of the lift, breakfast voucher and car park arrangement. We will consider your suggestion for the breakfast voucher and the car park arrangement at entrance we have 7 VIP parking lot which my reservation must have make a mistake to agreed with 10 parking lot for you. I will do meet the front office manager to get a better picture. Once again we apology for the shortcoming.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

Spent last weekend 20-23 September 2013 in Georgetown, Penang Island. Booked a two room suite for the family. Nice room and view of the Gurney Drive, especially at night. Breakfast can be better. Good walking and jogging area by the beach. Service especially reception can be better

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for the recent stay with us and your comment.
We had noted on your comment especially on the breakfast and our reception service. We certainly looking forward to welcome you back again on your future visit to Penang.

Petaling Jaya, Malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

The size of the double room is fantastic compared to other hotels. It can easily fit in an extra single bed. But there is no central air conditioning only an air cond unit which seriously need upgrading as it was not cold. The bathroom is a good size but the toilet flush can be improved.
If you want the sea view you have to put up with the setting sun heat.

Breakfast is a good mix from local to Japanese and a good variety.

Downpoint is you have to climb up the stairs from the basement carpark. So remember to stop at the front, check in with your baggage then go and park your car i.e. if you are driving.

Room Tip: If you want the sea view ie facing Gurney Drive, it can be quite hot when the sun sets.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for the recent stay with us. All our guest room come with split unit air con and we regularly carried out our maintenance service non stop on the whole year. We apology for the air con not cold enough for your room.

Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

Revisit Gurney Hotel last weekend for an event in Penang.

Hotel staff check in was really slow, only 2 staff at the counter with a long queue. Waited for almost 15 minutes.

The usual friendly staff at the front desk and door-man is gone. The usual greetings of welcome and warmth hospitality of Penang is lost.

Rooms not much improvement though sometime ago there was a refurbishment of the rooms.

The only thing I saw changed was the CRT 16 Inch TV to now a flat screen. Rooms still smells of musk and sofa still feels old and dirty.

Power points in the rooms are now even lacking in proper areas to charge your phone.

Well, still has the beautiful coastal view of penang from the high floor rooms.

What to do... will reconsider to change hotels but Gurney still provides value for money with the view in a location.

Room Tip: High Floors XX05 or XX06 gives beautiful views.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for the recent stay with and your comments are well noted. We apologies for the 15 minutes wait for check in and had spoken to the front office manager on staff manning to avoid prevention of long queue. Room refurbishment had completed on number of floors and still ongoing to upgrade the rest of the guest floor like 32" LED TV, linen, curtain, sofa seat etc...

The Management

Been to Gurney Resort Hotel & Residences? Share your experiences!