We had a two-bedroom suite on the 12th floor
1. The room shows signs of its age and a lack of proper maintenance, marks on the walls, tired curtains, lamp shades fixed with sticky tapes, etc
2. Air-conditioning is not centralised, but 4 separate split systems. We had to keep them running all day to keep the room cool to our liking, gave us a guilty feeling of wasting electricity. But doesn’t mean central air-con can save electricity
3. Many features and things in room advertised on hotel booking sites are either removed/non-existent or malfunction. For example, microwave (not there), in-room safe (not there), TVs (not working), Jacuzzi (not working). If you want me to come back, IN-ROOM SAFE PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!
4. Furniture is obviously of cheap quality and outdated, but serves the purpose well. I am not sure I would like the modern, Ikea-style ones better.
5. Hotel appeared being run with minimal number of staff. Service can be slow, but still reasonable, just be 5-10 mins more patient
6. But we got a very good size suite room. Plenty of space, a living area, small kitchen, cleaned everyday well (note that cleaning the room doesn’t make it look new/modern)
7. All the complaints you read here, we didn’t feel that horrible/bad as people say. But you have to adjust your expectations a little bit.
8. Location is great, particularly if you are not keen on going downtown. Just along the water front outside the hotel, you will find places to eat (from excellent/pricy to low end/tourist traps).
9. The swimming pool on 7th floor, really great and romantic. Can’t beat that
10. The gym, is a ‘nevermind’
11. Breakfast is great, but the Coffee House is understaffed, so be prepared. Breakfast starts at 6:30, thus if you are like us (catching the 8:35am flight back to KL) ask the reception to inform the Coffee House you want to have whatever is available at 6:00am
12. The lifts, worked really well and fast. Never had we to wait for long. We were on 12th floor.
13. Understaffed, but staff is great. The receptionists, some people here say they are rude. But I will say, if you want efficient check in, you have to be a smart guest
14. Once you get over to the initial shock when you first see the room, everything is fine
15. I don’t see it being over priced. But let’s say “it is time to move on, Gurney Hotel”. Keep running your hotel like this because you still get good occupancy rate is no guarantee we will come back
16. If you are a single traveller, you will find the 15-ringgit taxi ride going to town a bit annoying. But we didn’t find it necessary to go to town that much.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Brimming with matchless elegance, top-notch provisions, and cordial, genuine service, The Gurney Resort Hotel & Residences in George Town, Penang, Malaysia truly stands out among the multitude of hotels in the locale. We invite you to bask in well-appointed suites replete with essential amenities, such as free Wi-Fi Internet access, cable TV, and a private bath with jacuzzi. Business travelers can use spacious and well-lit conference halls, while holidaymakers can have a relaxing time in our restaurant, pool, and spa. Sitting along the tourist belt of Gurney Drive, adjacent to the Central Business District, our 4-star resort is a few kilometers from the airport and ferry terminal. It also enjoys an address with easy access to shopping centers, like the Gurney Plaza, Gurney Paragon, and Batu Ferringhi night market. Moreover, it is just a short drive away from several tourist attractions, such as the Kek Lok Si Temple, Penang Bird Park, and Snake Temple. With these wonderful features, The Gurney Resort Hotel & Residences in Penang truly is the preferred luxurious accommodation for any occasion at anytime. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, Booking.com, HotelTravel.com, Odigeo, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Agoda and Hotels.com so you can book your The Gurney Resort Hotel & Residences reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gurney Resort Hotel And Residences
- Gurney Hotel Penang
- Gurney Hotel Malaysia
- The Gurney Resort Hotel & Residences Penang/George Town