This was my 2nd time at the hotel but the 1st time using the 2 room suite. Stayed there 5 days 4 nights.
On arrival we were instantly assisted with our luggage. Check-in was a breeze. Place has not changed since my last stay. Room rates were rather high compared to other better or newer hotels. I guess the rates are high due to their location and large children's pool.
The room was fairly spacious, however lights and other fixtures in the room were rather rundown but operational. Lighting in the rooms need to be improved, as it is actually quite dark. View from the room was great, but noticed that window glasses were dirty or blurred. I can imagine this room when it was new, it would have really looked remarkable, however, the management should seriously consider spending some money to bring this nice hotel to the 21st century. TV was and old CRT unit but had a reasonable selection of channels with and ok reception including childrens channel. Additional lamps were placed in the room as an after thought, but had their wires lying around messily. The wall grouting between the tiles were bad and stained. Throw pillows on the sofa had a large hole that was patch sewed. Main room was equipped with jacuzzi, but 3 out 4 jets were functional. Maintenance of this once upon a time fine hotel is really wanting, hopefully something is done before they loose all their guests.
Housekeeping needs a little improvement. Cleanliness can be improved. They just replenished soap, shampoo, water, changed the towels and nothing else.
Breakfast at the coffe house was reasonable but should be imrpoved. Its the same few things daily. Why is the coffe bar at the other end of the coffee house? A more centralized coffee bar will be preferable.
All the staff we met were friendly and helpful. Did complain bout housekeeping sevice at the reception, but did not notice any difference. Coffee Bean, Starbucks, Subway and a discotheque avilable at the ground floor. Hawker food available a short walk away. Shopping complex available a 15 or 20 mins walk away. For ppl unfamiliar with Penang, hotel is facing the sea but not a beach. Noticed that hotel is not suitable for disabled; access to lobby, coffee house and basement parking were via stairs.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Brimming with matchless elegance, top-notch provisions, and cordial, genuine service, The Gurney Resort Hotel & Residences in George Town, Penang, Malaysia truly stands out among the multitude of hotels in the locale. We invite you to bask in well-appointed suites replete with essential amenities, such as free Wi-Fi Internet access, cable TV, and a private bath with jacuzzi. Business travelers can use spacious and well-lit conference halls, while holidaymakers can have a relaxing time in our restaurant, pool, and spa. Sitting along the tourist belt of Gurney Drive, adjacent to the Central Business District, our 4-star resort is a few kilometers from the airport and ferry terminal. It also enjoys an address with easy access to shopping centers, like the Gurney Plaza, Gurney Paragon, and Batu Ferringhi night market. Moreover, it is just a short drive away from several tourist attractions, such as the Kek Lok Si Temple, Penang Bird Park, and Snake Temple. With these wonderful features, The Gurney Resort Hotel & Residences in Penang truly is the preferred luxurious accommodation for any occasion at anytime. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Priceline, Orbitz, Booking.com, HotelTravel.com and Agoda so you can book your The Gurney Resort Hotel & Residences reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gurney Resort Hotel And Residences
- Gurney Hotel Penang
- Gurney Hotel Malaysia
- The Gurney Resort Hotel & Residences Penang/George Town