This is not the first time we stayed in the Gurney Resort Hotel. In general we like the location - which is right on Gurney Drive with Gurney Plaza up the road and food places nearby. The foodie haunts of Jalan Selamat, Jalan Burma, Jalan Macalister etc are also within an easy 10-min drive.
We usually take the two-bedroom suite because we need the space for our family. Overall, the same factors that made us choose the Gurney are still there - location and size of the two-bedroom apartment.
However, the place IS getting old and tired and is really showing its age. The management really should do something about this. The drapes are stained and dusty, the carpet is matted, the pillows and mattresses no longer as firm as they used to be. And the television sets belong in the last century - certainly I no longer see 21-inch CRT sets in most hotels anymore. To its credit, the room did have very good wifi connections so the Gurney does have one toe in the 21st century.
By simply changing the drapes, upgrading the bedding, getting flat-screen TVs in place - that would do wonders in updating the look and feel. At RM380 a night (and this was a corporate rate) it is not exactly cheap either. The hotel really should put some money and work into this if it wants to keep its guests coming back.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Brimming with matchless elegance, top-notch provisions, and cordial, genuine service, The Gurney Resort Hotel & Residences in George Town, Penang, Malaysia truly stands out among the multitude of hotels in the locale. We invite you to bask in well-appointed suites replete with essential amenities, such as free Wi-Fi Internet access, cable TV, and a private bath with jacuzzi. Business travelers can use spacious and well-lit conference halls, while holidaymakers can have a relaxing time in our restaurant, pool, and spa. Sitting along the tourist belt of Gurney Drive, adjacent to the Central Business District, our 4-star resort is a few kilometers from the airport and ferry terminal. It also enjoys an address with easy access to shopping centers, like the Gurney Plaza, Gurney Paragon, and Batu Ferringhi night market. Moreover, it is just a short drive away from several tourist attractions, such as the Kek Lok Si Temple, Penang Bird Park, and Snake Temple. With these wonderful features, The Gurney Resort Hotel & Residences in Penang truly is the preferred luxurious accommodation for any occasion at anytime. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Despegar.com, HotelTravel.com, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Agoda and Odigeo so you can book your The Gurney Resort Hotel & Residences reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gurney Resort Hotel And Residences
- Gurney Hotel Penang
- Gurney Hotel Malaysia
- The Gurney Resort Hotel & Residences Penang/George Town