“Fantastic 60s-70s Nostalgic trip Hotel stay!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Malaysia

You added Hotel Malaysia to your Saves list
Hotel Malaysia
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   7 Penang Road, George Town, Penang Island 10000 , Malaysia   |
Ranked #45 of 69 Hotels in George Town
Singapore
“Fantastic 60s-70s Nostalgic trip Hotel stay!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2009

Hotel Malaysia is a time-capsule - of a 3-star hotel somehow locked in a timewarp from the 60s-70s! For nostalgic people like me, its a fantastic experience! The faucets in the toilet, the tiny one-inch mosaic tiles on the floor, the aluminium-frame doors, the musty burnt-orange curtains, the roughed textured painted concrete wall finishings, the round globe-lamps in the coffee house, the ugly-as-hell concrete fake rock mountain and fountain in the lobby, the lighting fixtures, wardrobe and dressing table in the rooms, all came straight out of 1965! Its perfect! If you want to make a period movie or TV show, just come here! Everything may be retro and vintage and everything works - the beds clean, the lifts go, every light turns on, every powerplug works. Just don't ask for anything (like broadband internet or cable TV) that is invented after 1979 ....... HAHAHAHAHAHA it was a fantastic time-travel BLAST and I'd make sure I stay there again and again and again ....... complete the 70s experience by visiting the KOMTAR shopping complex, a shopping mall stuck in the same era. Just a postscript - a storm broke out during my stay there and the wall of my room leaked SO BADLY a miniature waterfall (like the one in Kota Tinggi) was created! However, since it did not flow ONTO my bed it just added to the inimitable charm of the hotel. I mean, which OTHER hotel has an en-suite water-fall? Not even the 7-Star Dubai Burj al Arab hotel's Presidential VIP Suite has a waterfall ....... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

• Stayed June 2007, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Korean first
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2009

We decided on this hotel after walking around Georgetown in the boiling sun with heavy bags. Walking in they had a room available at a good price so we decided to give it a go. We had a room on the 9th floor I think which was nice and clean, the bathroom too. The location is good, right next to restaurants, the E and O, a pub and good for sightseeing around Georgetown. Breakfast the next morning was tasty, though being a vegetarian a little limiting.

Would recommend to budget travellers looking for something a bit nicer than the basic budget accomodation but not those looking for luxury, would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Melbourne
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2009

Hotel Malaysia is extremely central. Situated on Jalan Penang, one of the main streets in Georgetown, it is conveniently located for exploring the city on foot. The rooms are nice and big and the view we had (out over Cheong Fatt Tze's mansion and across to Penang Bridge via a busy food court) gave us a lovely snapshot of the island.
Unfortunately, it has its shortcomings, and most of them are bathroom and hygiene-related. When we checked in, we found that someone before us (the cleaner?) had obviously been desperate to use the toilet, and hadn't thought to flush, let alone clean, the toilet afterwards. Whoever it was had left an acrid smell behind him/her. You might suspect the room hadn't been cleaned, but the someone had made that obligatory little origami fold in the end of the loo paper which is supposed to reassure the wary guest that cleaning has been rigorously attended to. Even that was unconvincingly crooked, and in any event, the toilet present and the brown bath and sink all made this little token detail look a bit silly.
The bathmat was spotted with mould, as was the non-slip rubber shower mat we were urged to use to combat 'slippery tiles'. Rather cheaply, the hotel does not provide separate soap and shampoo. Instead, a grotty looking dispenser (of the sort you see in public loos or the local swimming pool) spits gobs of 'body and hair shampoo' out if you pump the button hard enough. Ours was empty when we arrived, though to be fair this was quickly addressed by the staff when we told them about it.
Out in the main part of the room things were better, but the airconditioning, which was piped through the entire hotel from a central point, could not be varied, controlled or simply turned off and made a noise not unlike a deisel generator, which had the one dubious advantage of drowning out the sounds of cheesy cabaret entertainment wafting up from the food court. Perhaps because it was piped throughout the hotel, it brought the foul stench of someone's cigarette smoke with it. Anyway, it was singularly responsible for my very broken night's sleep - if it wasn't that I was freezing, it was the constant rattle of the thing and the strong smell of smoke coming out of the vent.
Breakfast was ordinary. There wasn't much of a variety of either Western or Asian cuisine. It all felt a bit budget.
If you are looking for a centrally located, reasonably priced hotel in Penang and you're not expecting too much, Hotel Malaysia will probably suffice. However, be prepared. Make sure you take along your own toiletries and earmuffs.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2009

I always want to stay in this hotel but this hotel turned out to be an absolute horror... They state of cleaniness is appaling.. We booked months ago and checking into horrible and flirty rooms on the lower floors. 2 of the three rooms we got had leaking sinks, and all of them had flirty bathrooms.. The bath matts were disgusing... With black mould on it.. I had to ask for room services and threaten to buy the matt myself and charge it to them. But they gave us replacement matt, this time are those with dark colours, I pressume they hope that we could not spot any moulds in it.. And then the airconditioning blowing freezing cold air.. They finally moved us up to the 6th floor and 4th floor rooms, Immagine a party of 5 with 3 rooms booked ages ago and they couldn't allocate us adjacent rooms??? We don't mind that the hotel is old, I think it is very 70's way pass its time but there are no excuse for poor hygiene. I told the cleaners that guests are going contract diseases from filthy bath matt and they were shocked.. Our first complain about they the linking sink were not taking notice off.. This is a typical hotel that gives Malaysian hospitality service a badddddd reputation.. The rooms on higher floors are better.. But the bed are firm and comfortable.. The noise across the street at night played Karoukee till 12 midnight so if you are a light sleep, forget about staying here.. I am afraid this is the worst place we have ever stayed..

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Everything..
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Petaling Jaya, Malaysia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2008

I have stayed at this hotel before. the second time was just a bad experience. booked over the phone and only had 'superior' room left. so took it for 2 nights. its charged at RM138 (approx. USD40)

it was just bad. the room was dirty and that it looked like house keeping just made a quick clean up of it. it had stains (on the bedside lamp?) all over the place and frankly speaking, it do not remember it was like this when i stayed back in July this year.

i called front desk and complained, they hardly bothered to entertain and kept on saying the hotel is full. if you want to leave i may do so but when i did... they said they will charge me at a discounted rate. which wasn't even a half days rate! after the hassle...i had the maintenance chap to check the room. mind you the manager DID NOT even want to step out from behind the front desk.

the maintenance guy apologised about the manager but that was all he could do. in the end we stayed the night and checked out in the morning. i think the next door hotel is way be better - Continental Hotel, as i've stayed there many time but this trip couldn't get a booking.

• Liked — perhaps its location
  • Disliked — staff attitude and this time the state of the room
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Phuket
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2008

I wouldnt want to stay in this hotel again. Its staff are not very accommodating to its guests. First, I asked a simple close-ended question by phone if I can change my room into a smaller room since I'm alone and my neighbor next door were very noisy during my first night, and the reception told me to come down because they're so busy with other guest downstairs. Second, I couldn't dial locally using their given instruction in dialing but I tried thrice and it didnt work. So I called the reception to ask how I can call locally, and the staff who answered my call just said to follow the instruction then hang up on me without even asking if I need anything else. Bathroom doesn't have shampoo, soap, cotton buds and other basic necessities that a traveler like me need. Well yeah, they have this liquid soap that according to them is a "body and hair shampoo". Complimentary breakfast have limited food variation. I wouldn't complain if I didn't pay a good amount of money...but I did. Continental Hotel, which is beside Hotel Malaysia is far better in terms of room, staff, and breakfast...

• Liked — location, convenient place
  • Disliked — Unfriendly Staffs
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Kuala Lumpur
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2008

Recommended for long term and budget stay. Friendly staff.

• Liked — Price
  • Disliked — Breakfast
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Hotel Malaysia? Share your experiences!