“The staff make all the difference-recommended” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Jen Penang

You added Hotel Jen Penang to your Saves list
Hotel Jen Penang
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Magazine Road, George Town, Penang Island 10300, Malaysia (Formerly Traders Hotel Penang)   |
Ranked #13 of 54 Hotels in George Town
Bristol, United Kingdom
“The staff make all the difference-recommended”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

This is a typical corporate hotel in design and finish. If you are looking for something a bit different or "edgy" then this is probably not for you. Rooms are typical comfortable modern corporate style, slightly dated though perfectly serviceable. However, the helpful attitude of the staff make it also a very good tourist base. It is well priced, well located, and a very pleasant base to explore the delights of Penang. Our first room was next to the lift and smaller than the others, but they quickly changed it, and apologised for giving it to us in the first place. We would come here again. This hotel had bad reviews up to 18 months ago, but apparently there has been major changes in senior management, and the earlier comments re poor service and cleanliness certainly did not apply on our stay. One of the managers told us that the rooms are being updated over the next year-and our room was really quite good as is!

Room Tip: Avoid any room ending in 01 ie 1201. These are adjacent to lift and smaller than the others, with no...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Weymouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

This is a very nice hotel with an excellent location to discover all that Georgetown has to offer both by foot or by other transport. For shopping folks, you are right by a huge First Avenue shopping centre that has shops for pretty much every brand and item that you could wish!

The hotel itself is gently dated but is by no means unacceptable. The staff are charming and do all that you could possibly want to assist you. Our room - even though it looked out over a building site (!) - was very comfortable and well appointed but a tiny bit dated.

Because there are such excellent "hawker" food stalls within 10 minutes walk, the poor hotel Chef must pull his hair out in frustration at the number of customers who do not dine in the hotel. But "sorry" Malaysian cuisine from hawker stalls is SO nice!

The hotel pool is excellent and the pool staff are most attentive. A very pleasant stay - thank you.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

I am a frequent traveller and stayed in hotels around asia every month and I will only write a review if is very good or very bad. In this case, is very good. Why do I say so? Let me share my whole experience.

I choose Traders Penang because I have a wonderful experience in my previous visit and this time I am experiencing the same. From the airport, take rapid bus 401 can easily bring you to Komtar and the hotel is right beside it. The moment I step into the hotel, the front desk wanted to help with my check in. Since there are others who also wants to do check in, I told her that I will do the check in at the lounge as I have booked a club room. She ask for my name and I went up to the lounge.

Never did I expect that Lina, the staff at the lounge was standing outside waiting for my arrival. She greeted me and all my details are already on the desk. That was fantastic. As a member, she only ensure that my details have not change. I was early so the rooms are not ready and she advice me to go for lunch. I ask if i can leave my hand luggage, she gladly say yes and ensure that I have no valuable inside.

After I returned back from lunch, Lina pass me the keys to my room. Hotel was pretty old but was well-maintained with the heritage feel. Can't write much because there are no complains for me to write. Other areas to compliment was the operator, housekeeping who go extra miles and i shall not say the details. Car park was complimentary for those who drives and there are shuttle service to bring you to their sisters hotel. Breakfast at the islander was pretty similar compared to other hotels.

What I expect from a hotel is not only the rooms and location but more importantly is the service provided.

Other things about the hotel was the location. It was located around many major shopping malls and also the current streets art so I will definitely come back to Traders in my next visit.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013 via mobile

Yes it's true the hotel is dated but its spotless and the service in the club lounge above and beyond
A special mention for Gary and sanjez who could not do enough for us
Went to rasa sayang on the shuttle bus which we stayed at last time and its perfect

• Stayed January 2013
Doha, Qatar
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

Friendly staff but that's about it. Basic rooms. Poor service in the bar. We ended up in the shopping mall next door to have meals and coffees. We can recommend The Dome which near to Starbucks.

We took a complementary shuttle bus, provided by the hotel, to the sister hotel Golden Sands resort which they said would take 20mins, an hour and ten minutes later we pulled up to this hotel. It was awful, the whole place was like an ants nest and people were crammed into every space. Service was dire in that hotel too and we couldn't wait to leave their either. The beach is not owned by the hotel and stalls and other services e.g. massage etc have set up along their. There was a very small section of water cordoned off for bathers but the majority of it was for use by those selling watersport activities such as parasailing.

Also onthe way to the other hotel there was an accident where a car had hit a cyclist just in front of our bus and our driver beeped the horn for them to move the newly injured cyclist out of the way so he could continue driving.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Poole, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Staff were very helpful in the hotel, especially on the club room floors and complimentary bathroom products were good.
The hotel it's self is very dated, rooms are small. The area doesn't feel very safe.

• Stayed January 2013
ernestloi, THPSM, Director Of Sales & Marketing at Traders Hotel at Hotel Jen Penang, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Dear KohSamuiMarie

Greetings from Traders Hotel, Penang and thank you for sharing your comments regarding your recent stay with us.

Please contact me direct via email: ernest.loi@tradershotels.com for us to address your concerns.

With best regards
Ernest Loi
Director Of Sales & Marketing
Bandung, Jawa Barat, Indonesia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

The hotel has a very nice location. Surrounded with several shopping malls, we found that it was very easy to find foods, especially halal foods ( since it is kinda hard finding halal foods in Penang ).
The hotel also provides shuttle bus to the Adventure Zone. We felt it so helpful because the Adv Zone is located quite far from the hotel.
Rooms and service are just OK, but it's totally fine because the price are not too high compared to other hotels.

• Stayed June 2012

Been to Hotel Jen Penang? Share your experiences!