“oDisorganised.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Jen Penang

You added Hotel Jen Penang to your Saves list
Hotel Jen Penang
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Magazine Road, George Town, Penang Island 10300, Malaysia (Formerly Traders Hotel Penang)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #13 of 54 Hotels in George Town
“oDisorganised.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013 via mobile

We made reservations well ahead only to be told on arrival that the rooms were given to someone else with no further explanation. When we insisted further that we had made reservations, we were then allocated rooms in the smoking floor which considerably less that ideal given the strong odour of tobacco.

Parking space is very limit. We had to wait over an hour for a parking bay.

I would rate this as the worst hotel I have stayed in Penang thus far.

• Stayed December 2012
ernestloi, THPSM, Director Of Sales & Marketing at Traders Hotel at Hotel Jen Penang, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
June 14, 2013

Dear KenHT
Greetings from Traders Hotel, Penang.

We are truly appreciative of the effort that you've taken to share your experiences with us. The service shortfalls mentioned in your review are of great concern to us. We would like to obtain more details about your stay so that we can address these issues to prevent future recurrence. Can you please contact me directly at email: ernest.loi@tradershotels.com

With best regards
Ernest Loi
Director of Sales & Marketing

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (228)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Macau, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

Good location with a big malls just besides the hotel. Quick friendly staff at reception. Good variety of food at breakfast. Very attentive restaurant manager Mr.Vickey and a good team at the Islander restaurant. The only thing that need improvement is their internet speed is super slow & I was told they will upgrade their system this year.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Streamwood, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

I've stayed here before about 4 years ago and was a little disappointed this time due to the quality of the room. The lobby was nice, the breakfast buffet had a good variety of food, and the staff are very helpful and friendly. The level of service was great as I expected from a Shangri-La property. The location of the hotel is very conveniently located in Georgetown near many historical sights as well as shopping malls. But the room felt old and worn. The material on the furniture looked old. There was hair on the floor in the bathroom and there were big stains on the carpet. This hotel needs to be refreshed/refurbished. I would definitely stay here again after the hotel is refurbished.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
ipoh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

I always enjoy staying at Traders Penang due to their fantastic staff. On my first stay, it was their great service that encourage me to come back again and recommend my parents for a stay during the year.

Since I had a seminar there, I booked a club room and looked forward to enjoying it with my family. The hotel itself is located smack in the middle of georgetown. It is within walking distance to many favourite local food haunts at Lebuh Chulia and Masjid Kapitan Keling.

The hotel provides free parking service for hotel guests though I may suggest improving it since the car park is not disable friendly.

The employees did not disappoint and whisk us up immediately to the club floor for check in and brought us welcome drinks on a hot sunny day. Snacks and cakes in the executive floor was immediately replenished during cocktail hour and though they had only 3 waiters, they tried their best to serve everyone.

Rooms were slightly dated, but clean, comfortable and cosy enough for our family. Room service was good if you do not intend to go out on a rainy day and the breakfast spread was excellent.

I would definitely come here again just for the service. Thank you.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

My family stayed here during our first visit to Penang. We managed to get a good deal for the Traders Club room and stayed there for three nights. This gave us access to the Traders Club lounge, which has an ample supply of free drinks, evening cocktail + canape hours, and munchies like keropok (savoury crackers), peanuts and cookies throughout the day. The lounge came with a great view of Georgetown and it was pleasant to hang out there and read or make good use of the free wifi access on our iPad.

We also enjoyed complimentary buffet breakfasts throughout our stay. The buffet breakfast featured quite a good spread with good old eggs, chicken sausages, baked beans and breads, but also local favourites like nasi lemak and my favourite, a noodle soup station with pick-your-own ingredients like shredded chicken, prawns, fishcake, bean sprouts and choy sum.

The rooms were comfortable and neatly made with all the requisite facilities like toiletries and complimentary coffee, tea and mineral water.

The hotel is located in the heart of Georgetown and it is very easy to roam around the area. The various world heritage monuments are all within walking distance and it is very pleasant to just stroll around the area. Foodies will be pleased to note there are many little coffee shops around where you can taste local fare. The bus terminal is located next to Traders hotel, making it convenient to get to different places like Penang Hill.

There's also a free shuttle bus to Traders' sister resort at Batu Ferringghi Beach, Golden Sands resort, where one can use the pool, towels and lounge facilities.

All in all, a very pleasant stay and I would book a room there again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Leopold
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

I have been going to Malaysia for many years included in my trips are some type of charity work. In 2012 I included Bangkok in my trip.
From Bangkok I flew to Penang arriving at the Traders Hotel around 22:00pm to my surprise my booking could not be found the clerk at the front desk said they would follow up the next morning and kindly allocated my room.
The next morning I was asked to go to the business center where the Manager and staff were waiting to inform me that my booking that was fully paid for was bogus. They then showed me a web site blog that included hundreds of complaints about the company I had booked with.
To make this story short I was very distraught.
I would like to say that the Management and Staff of The Traders Hotel Penang went out of their way to help me. Had it not been for their kindness my time in Penang would have been a disaster. The Hotel was a great place to stay comfortable bed and breakfast had an outstanding menue choice. Thank you to all at The Traders!

Cheers
Bonnie (Australia.)

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

Stayed here, for 2 nights, its kind of old, however well maintained hotel. Parking was a breezed as they had ample space for guest during this festive period.
The deluxe rooms are your standard 5 star hotel rooms, neither big nor small. Comfortable for 2.
Service was always crisp and fast. Room Service was dedicated and also the house keeping always greeted us with a smile.
I had requested them to make the room, as we went for breakfast. We came back in an hour with everything neatly made. I definitely recommend this hotel for anyone who wishes to stay in Town.

Room Tip: Request for rooms facing the pool for a better view of the surroundings. If you want quiet then the...