“wonderful!” 5 of 5 stars

101 King Street, George Town, Penang Island 10200, Malaysia   |
Ranked #33 of 106 George Town B&B and Inns
“wonderful!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

This was one of our most wonderful stays during our 7 month trip through asia! We had such a wonderful time here.
Although the facilities are a bit basic, it's clean and nothing to worry about.
it's really the people (both guests and staff) and the atmosphere here that made our stay here one to remember.
Howie, the manager is a really nice guy, he really made an effort to make you feel at home. The fruittasting, and all other kinds of food he made us try were really nice.

• Stayed December 2012

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Nakhon Si Thammarht, Nakhon Si Thammarat, Thailand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

My boyfriend and I booked to stay at Cocoa Mews for three nights originally but extended the stay an extra night as we had such a good time in Georgetown and at Cocoa Mews. The staff are so welcoming and helpful - offering advice on places to eat, bus routes and things to see and do. There were a few occasions in the night when we could hear people walking loudly in the corridors but it is an old heritage house so it is perhaps to be expected. We were on a visa run from Thailand and the staff at Cocoa Mews advised us to get an agent to do all the leg work so we could just relax and enjoy Georgetown. So glad we did as it only cost 30 RM each extra and we had all the time to explore instead of going to and from the Thai consulate. Little India is an excellent location to stay- delicious, cheap food, beautiful architecture and a great atmosphere. This is now on my list of places to visit again!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

First the good things: the location , I stayed at the dorm section of this hotel for 3 nights (13-16 Dec). The location is right in the heart of georgetown (little india) from where you could walk to major places of attraction (within the george town area). Also the place is close to eateries and bus stand... Then air conditioned room at a very affordable price (around RM 25 per day).

Now the drawbacks: the beds have real poor quality mattresses (low density foam) and my back ached heavily in the mornings. The blanket they provided was just half-size- enough to cover just the legs ( was shivering away the whole night on the first day, till someone switched off the a/cs).The WiFi is free but is excruciatingly slow (and thus of little use), so I used my own wireless modem instead. Being housed in a heritage building (as written on their notices), the walls are thin-wood partitioned and you could even hear the whisper from the other room. At night found it really difficult to sleep.

I would advise travellers to choose this hotel for location and price but not to expect much in terms of facilities. However, if the hotel could improve on few things (the problems mentioned above) it would be a convenient place to stay.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

We arrived quite late and were greeted by Howie whose enthusiasm and friendliness made us feel right at home. The restaurants he recommended were spot on and he really went the extra mile to make sure all his guests were happy and comfortable, even going as far as taking us out for breakfast which he paid for out of his own pocket. He really made the stay memorable.

The hotel was great value for money and very clean and comfortable. The location is very good, being within walking distance of all the major sights and is easy to reach from the bus station. I'd also highly recommend you try Kapitan restaurant on the corner of the street for really good cheap Indian food,

Overall I couldn't recommend this place enough.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Swansea, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

Planned to stay for 14 nights but ended up extending for 5 more nights!

The staff are extremely friendly and helpful to their guests. Had trouble with my bookings through asiarooms, Staff were kind enough to refund me and notify me 3 weeks before arrival. Managed to book in person as my boyfriend lives in Penang (also for cheaper price!).

Prices are very cheap, rooms are small but it's a good place for those who just need a place to shower, sleep and wash and dry their clothes. Very well maintained and clean place. Laundry is RM5 per kg, very affordable! Location is in a lovely area for tourists, has several food places, a temple, bus stops and a convenience store nearby, also in a very safe area unlike other areas such as Lover Lane. Has free access to WiFi with passwords and usernames on the back of your room key.

Decor is great and has a lot of information for tourists such as other tourists spots, location to bus stations, events happening in Penang and history of Penang. Other guests were friendly when bumping into each other in the hall. Although I very much enjoyed my stay there and would recommend it to anyone, the only downside is that the floors were somewhat creaky (so was the door to my room, but staff helped me fix that with oil, thanks Arthur!) and some guests were not considerate towards others by coming in late at night, talking loudly and walking like stampede despite all the signs around the area saying "walk quietly" Especially for me as my room was directly across from the stairs on the first floor. (Not Cocoa Mews fault). Would definitely come stay here again!

P.s, Don't forget guys, you can't have any Durian in the Inn. (My Bad!, I'm still very sorry for this.)

Stayed July 2012, Travelled Solo.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012 via mobile

We stayed in Cocoa Mews for 3 nights. Our taxi driver had some problems finding the place. Tell your taxi driver to enter the street at restaurant Kapitan. The place looks nice and clean, and the staff is very friendly and helpful. The location is nice, in little India. It is à herritage house with paperthin walls. First night we stayed in room 4 close to the reception desk where everybody passes your door to Use the shower or toilet. Very noisy. We complained the next morning and got another room, at the 2nd floor, next to the dorm, which was ok. Stil very noisy, but this is because some people kust should't stay in a herritage building. They talk loud when they come home, walk very loud and don't respect other people trying to sleep. This not the fault of the staff, everywhere are signs how to walk and talk in à herritage building. Best room: nr. 2 and 5.

• Stayed November 2012
Paris, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

To begin with, the staff was very very friendly. There was some maps and other interesting infos on display at the reception. Too bad this hallway wasn't big and didn't have any living-room kind of area to chat with other guests. But you meet them anyway. I got very good vibes from most people in that place. I had a room that was small, and the mattress was too soft, the dvd I tried to watch wasn't working properly and the shower wasn't confortable but hey it's a backpacker's guesthouse, so take a bed in the dormitory and enjoy your excursions !

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to Cocoa Mews? Share your experiences!