“A Fantastic Experience” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 19 activities in Georgetown
Type: Classes/Workshops
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Half day cooking class with wet market tours. You don't need to be an experienced cook to enjoy the class, just somebody who likes to try new things.
Seoul, South Korea
8 attraction reviews
“A Fantastic Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

We had an amazing time with Pearly and Chandra, who were so nice and welcoming. We both feel like we learned a lot about both food and cooking. We were picked up from the hotel, given a market tour and then the excellent cooking class. I strongly recommend this class.

Visited March 2013
PearlyK, Owner at Penang Homecooking School, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Both of you were so great. You have tasted some of the best food in Asia being in Korea. And you are so open to new food. But our Malaysian food is AWESOME, too..right...

Start the Nyonya chronicle in Korea ya!!!!!!

Melbourne
“A great experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

This class was one of my favorite parts of my trip to Penang and a great way to see and try some things you might not otherwise. Pearly and Chandra were both so lovely and were very welcoming hosts.
The day started with both Pearly and Chandra picking us up from our hotel and taking us to the market. At the market Pearly showed us many ingredients and we saw many interesting things and got to try some delicious local snacks.
The cooking class was held at Pearly and Chandra's home, in a lovely outdoor garden kitchen setting. Pearly is very knowledgeable and the food we cooked was so delicious! I am looking forward to doing some more cooking at home. I highly recommend this class

Visited February 2013
oh oh oh my my girl..It makes me so happy you are going to cook more at home. Way to go, girl!!!!
Sydney, Australia
“Penang Homecooking School - A must do!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

My partner and I were keen for some local/cultural experience into the world of Malaysian cooking, and we certainly hit on a winner here. Pearly and Chandra were amazing hosts, and made us feel most welcome in their home.

They picked us up from our Georgetown hotel, from there it was just a short ride to the wet market which was a feast for the eyes. Pearly introduced us to many local ingredients, some that we would be cooking with later, and others; homemade sweets, hoppers, and pancakes that we tasted on the spot, were just delicious.

From the market just another short trip to their home which is set up for student participation and not just demonstration. We had hands on cooking at our own work benches, and with Pearly's expert guidance and down to earth approach, we successfully cooked 4 traditional dishes and then sat down together and ate the lot!

Pearly has a great love for cooking, her recipes speak from the heart. She's a wonderful teacher, not just with the practical side of cooking, but she also has a wealth of knowledge of the historical and traditional aspects of Malaysian cuisine.

At the end of the day Chandra even took us to one of the local Buddhist temples before dropping us back to our hotel. We had such an amazing day and were very sorry when it was over. I would highly recommend the Penang Homecooking School to anyone visiting Penang, It's a
definite "must do".

Visited March 2013
PearlyK, Owner at Penang Homecooking School, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
You were both AWESOME! I love sharing our recipes with you both. Tanya is ever so happy cooking the food.

You enthusiasm inspire me to share lots of you. You love real nice vegetarian food, YES!!!

Nice to have met you both. ::))
Bangkok, Thailand
“Pearls of Wisdom and Flavour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

Pearly's cooking class is something you definitely want to do in Penang. It's such a great way to get an intimate insight into this rich and diverse culture. My friend and I ran into Pearly at the Spice Garden, such an engaging and friendly person, we were quizzing her on Penang''s culinary delights. It was only till the end of the conversation that she told us she ran a Nonya cooking school. Wanting to hear more about Nonya cooking as well as Pearly's incredible life we booked into a class the next day. Pearly and her wonderfully charming husband Chandra picked us up from our hotel and took us on a tour of the market, where they have the down low on what's what and whose who. They tailored the cooking session to food we wanted to learn how to cook. They invested so much time and effort into us and went above and beyond what was required. I cannot recommend this highly enough.

Visited December 2012
I truly enjoyed your company, 3 of you. I miss you heaps. Your smile, laughter still lingers on till today. When I think of the day I met both of you, it was the best end of the day gift.

Meeting someone nice is a real pleasure and you are one friend, I would love to have for a long time. Thanks for the great time. I still smile and see your tinkling eye, girlie!!!!!

Nice to know you, says Chandra too....
narromine
“A foodie treat..”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

This was one of our most treasured experiences on our recent trip to Malaysia. The morning started with a tour of the local market, pointing out and collecting the ingredients for the meals we were to learn how to cook. Then returing to Pearly's place to be expertly guided with warmth and good humour to create three vegetarian culinary delights. Most importantly, the key ingredient in the day was Pearly and her husband Chandra, and conversations spanned the health benefits of various foods to their cultural origins. Sitting to lunch with Pearly and Chandra felt like the best of times with old friends. Fine food, finer people.

Visited March 2013
Love begets love, nice people meets nicer people. Meeting both of you is truly a joy. You are a gem.

Chandra and I feels very privileged to know you.