“good one..” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Super 8 Hotel

You added Super 8 Hotel to your Saves list
Super 8 Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   81, Tye Sin Street, George Town, Penang Island 11050, Malaysia   |
Ranked #33 of 54 Hotels in George Town
Pune, India
“good one..”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

We had 2 family rooms & one standard room. Rooms were very clean & well maintained. Family room is very spacious. Location was also good - calm & quiet. There is car parking as well. Good place to stay.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Indonesian first
Jeonju, South Korea
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

In general, I've found the customer service at Malaysia hotels and hostels to be poor.

However, Super 8 was an exception. The front desk lady was so nice and helpful and willing to answer our questions about how to get around Penang.

The rooms are big and comfortable. I consider them an excellent value.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Auckland Region, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

The hotel itself, I found to be very pleasant, clean & tidy. The housekeeping / rooming staff are brilliant.

Budget rates. A/C included. No fridge. Great tele, and the build is modern / new. ++

My companion & I stayed for 5 nights. We asked to extend our stay & the night duty receptionist told us OK but we would have to move rooms the next day. I packed up that night (in preparation) and cancelled plans for a day trip exploring on the day we had to move rooms. I returned at the check out time the following day, expecting to have to lug my bags to the new room, and was told politely told we could in fact stay in the room we were in, by the day receptionist. Nice timing. I lost a day.

The biggest drawback in my opinion about staying in this hotel is ... (& I see another traveler has made a comment before me !!! beware / wary when venturing outside or if you can't tolerate barking mad dogs !!!)

There is a house across the road from the hotel. While walking past this address (email me for more info) early one morning, I was attacked by three dogs (which I found out too late, roam this part of the town unleashed) and was bitten by one of them in the leg.

This was a slightly upsetting experience, injections & antibiotics were needed, plus dressings and a ripped pair of jeans. I suffered a nasty puncture wound I hope does not get infected. No one at the house would even acknowledge who the owner was although the dogs were clearly registered. My medical expenses, loss of clothing, taxis to & fro were below my insurance excess, so these bills came out of my already exhausted pocket.

The Police couldn't give a hoot and the city dog control, actually laughed at me as if I was dumb and didn't even acknowledge my report! I left wondering whether anybody was prepared to take responsibility.

The hotel management were sympathetic and provided a bowl of fruit. Nice touch. : - )

They later asked for a copy of my Police & Council complaint form and said they would follow it up. The responsible dogs still roam free, and sit outside the house still and there are many others around anyways.

I suggested to hotel management that they warn travelers (especially foreigners and those with women or kids) about the obvious risk of attack and or fright as I did nothing to provoke the animals at all.

The offending black dog simply ran out from under a car parked outside said house, with two other dogs, barking loudly and chomped my leg. Scary. I shouted the animal down but had some unpleasant thoughts about what could have happened if I was or was with a kid.

Lucky I am a big & solid enough to take care of myself, and to be honest, I've sustained worse injuries on a motorbike being hit by a car so the physical shock, injury & pain didn't really bug me, but being attacked by 3 dogs was a first, personally.

There is a barking noise problem in this area, but I have owned dogs before so this was not a problem form me, moreover I have concern for future foreign travellers to this locale. The whole block has dogs roaming free.

Of course this unexpected unfortunate experience is of no fault of the hotel & shouldn't reflect on them or their staff in any way, and they are aware of the problem, but can do little about it.

The attack colored my trip, in a painful, uncomfortable (and expensive) way.

Lesson to travelers, be prepared, always remember your first aid kit in your bag and carry extra cash for those unexpected expenses which pop up out of the blue :-)

Cei la vie!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013 via mobile

I stayed in a huge room with 2 queen size bed and a big toilet for Rm132.
If you have kids they would love this room.
It is situated near 1avenue and komtar. And you can walk around georgetown easily.

• Stayed June 2013
KL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Room is big enough for two, shower much much better than expected, actually is great! Pity there isn't a fridge. Aircon was functioning well so was the TV.
Location: walking distance to malls and eateries.
Problem: across the road, there is a house full of dogs and every morning there is painful howls coming from that house.
Reported noise to front desk but they simply don't care. Spoke to the owner of the dogs and again she ignored us.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms facing street.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Jakarta, Indonesia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

It has spacious room,but no window,the cleanliness was great,it has small bathroom though.they provided coffee and tea in the room and water dispenser next to the elevator. The location is near from Komtar. I asked the receptionist for a cab to go to the airport and they gave me fixed amount to pay in front which was little bit more expensive than actual taximeter.

• Stayed December 2012
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

My 2nd time visit Penang,also my 2nd time choose to book this hotel.Still comfortable,value for money! Keep it up! Very recommended to those coming to georgetown for holiday.But remember,u must have transport.If u just a walk backpackers,it may hard to u.

• Stayed May 2013

Been to Super 8 Hotel? Share your experiences!