“Who let the dogs out ? Attacked by dogs !” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Super 8 Hotel

Save Saved
You added Super 8 Hotel to your Saves list
Super 8 Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   81, Tye Sin Street, Georgetown, Penang Island 11050, Malaysia   |
Ranked #27 of 49 hotels in Georgetown
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Who let the dogs out ? Attacked by dogs !”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

The hotel itself, I found to be very pleasant, clean & tidy. The housekeeping / rooming staff are brilliant.

Budget rates. A/C included. No fridge. Great tele, and the build is modern / new. ++

My companion & I stayed for 5 nights. We asked to extend our stay & the night duty receptionist told us OK but we would have to move rooms the next day. I packed up that night (in preparation) and cancelled plans for a day trip exploring on the day we had to move rooms. I returned at the check out time the following day, expecting to have to lug my bags to the new room, and was told politely told we could in fact stay in the room we were in, by the day receptionist. Nice timing. I lost a day.

The biggest drawback in my opinion about staying in this hotel is ... (& I see another traveler has made a comment before me !!! beware / wary when venturing outside or if you can't tolerate barking mad dogs !!!)

There is a house across the road from the hotel. While walking past this address (email me for more info) early one morning, I was attacked by three dogs (which I found out too late, roam this part of the town unleashed) and was bitten by one of them in the leg.

This was a slightly upsetting experience, injections & antibiotics were needed, plus dressings and a ripped pair of jeans. I suffered a nasty puncture wound I hope does not get infected. No one at the house would even acknowledge who the owner was although the dogs were clearly registered. My medical expenses, loss of clothing, taxis to & fro were below my insurance excess, so these bills came out of my already exhausted pocket.

The Police couldn't give a hoot and the city dog control, actually laughed at me as if I was dumb and didn't even acknowledge my report! I left wondering whether anybody was prepared to take responsibility.

The hotel management were sympathetic and provided a bowl of fruit. Nice touch. : - )

They later asked for a copy of my Police & Council complaint form and said they would follow it up. The responsible dogs still roam free, and sit outside the house still and there are many others around anyways.

I suggested to hotel management that they warn travelers (especially foreigners and those with women or kids) about the obvious risk of attack and or fright as I did nothing to provoke the animals at all.

The offending black dog simply ran out from under a car parked outside said house, with two other dogs, barking loudly and chomped my leg. Scary. I shouted the animal down but had some unpleasant thoughts about what could have happened if I was or was with a kid.

Lucky I am a big & solid enough to take care of myself, and to be honest, I've sustained worse injuries on a motorbike being hit by a car so the physical shock, injury & pain didn't really bug me, but being attacked by 3 dogs was a first, personally.

There is a barking noise problem in this area, but I have owned dogs before so this was not a problem form me, moreover I have concern for future foreign travellers to this locale. The whole block has dogs roaming free.

Of course this unexpected unfortunate experience is of no fault of the hotel & shouldn't reflect on them or their staff in any way, and they are aware of the problem, but can do little about it.

The attack colored my trip, in a painful, uncomfortable (and expensive) way.

Lesson to travelers, be prepared, always remember your first aid kit in your bag and carry extra cash for those unexpected expenses which pop up out of the blue :-)

Cei la vie!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

53 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Indonesian first
Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013 via mobile

I stayed in a huge room with 2 queen size bed and a big toilet for Rm132.
If you have kids they would love this room.
It is situated near 1avenue and komtar. And you can walk around georgetown easily.

• Stayed June 2013
KL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Room is big enough for two, shower much much better than expected, actually is great! Pity there isn't a fridge. Aircon was functioning well so was the TV.
Location: walking distance to malls and eateries.
Problem: across the road, there is a house full of dogs and every morning there is painful howls coming from that house.
Reported noise to front desk but they simply don't care. Spoke to the owner of the dogs and again she ignored us.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms facing street.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Jakarta, Indonesia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

It has spacious room,but no window,the cleanliness was great,it has small bathroom though.they provided coffee and tea in the room and water dispenser next to the elevator. The location is near from Komtar. I asked the receptionist for a cab to go to the airport and they gave me fixed amount to pay in front which was little bit more expensive than actual taximeter.

• Stayed December 2012
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

My 2nd time visit Penang,also my 2nd time choose to book this hotel.Still comfortable,value for money! Keep it up! Very recommended to those coming to georgetown for holiday.But remember,u must have transport.If u just a walk backpackers,it may hard to u.

• Stayed May 2013
Pattaya, Thailand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

This is a relatively new hotel situated near the heart of George Town. The room is clean and has the best strong showers (hot or cold) in town - very powerful - better than other more expensive hotels in town. Near a large shopping centre (GAMA) which supplies all your needs. Local food especially Indian and Chinese foods are nearby. Walking distance to Komptar the bus network center of Penang. The staff is very polite, helpful and efficient. The surrounding is in the older part of the city and there is noise from barking of dogs from opposite the hotel. For the price, this is worth it being close to transport and shops.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the higher level facing the back.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Kuching, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

My friends and I just got back from a 3D-2N spontaneous trip to Penang. The hotel is definitely a value for money (we paid about RM 220 for 2 nights).

The room was spacious. It wasnt sound prove but we were too tired and fell asleep once we headed to bed, so it wasnt an issue for us. What we loved the most was the powerful shower head and spacious bathroom. Towel provided. After a whole day touring around the city, we were all sweaty and tired and that was exactly what all of us needed. Kudos to that! but personally I think the sink can be slightly cleaner.

Locality wise, it is near to 3 malls, and walking distance to the main bus station for both normal bus and penang CAT (komtar), so basically you can get to anywhere you want. We found the nicest local food at the nearby market upon arrival, at a walking distance. We also LOVE the cakes from Ms. Cake House, a small but yummy cake shop at Lebuh Presgrave (nearby the hotel), remember to try the green tea cake!

Wifi and water dispenser provided and receptionists were pretty friendly.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Super 8 Hotel? Share your experiences!