“Too Tired to Party part II: Too Bug Bitten to Party” 2 of 5 stars

You added Reggae Penang Love Lane Hostel to your Saves list
Reggae Penang Love Lane Hostel
57 Love Lane, George Town, Penang Island 10200, Malaysia   |
chicago
“Too Tired to Party part II: Too Bug Bitten to Party”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

If you read my other review about Reggae Mansion in KL, you'll know that I have a love/hate relationship with this particular hostel brand. Anyway, I went back into the fray because I thought I had a handle on the whole Reggae experience and I missed the glorious breakfasts.

I can say that this place has all of the flaws of the other-- the blaring music, sleepless nights and rude dorm mates-- without any of the upsides. The breakfasts weren't very good, the facilities weren't as nice, etc.

The staff were, for the most part, very pleasant and extremely helpful, moreso, in fact, than at the Reggae Mansion in KL. My last night, I had a very very bad experience with a rambunctious group of travelers that shared my dorm, but this was outside of their control and, all things considered, they really did do a good job of resolving the situation.

The thing that mostly informs my 'poor' rating is that bed D10 at least is infested with bed bugs. I know that in the hostel business this is a strong accusation, but it is 100% true and verified, by not only myself but by another guest who was staying there at the same time. The little critters were in fact very bold by my last night and a saw quite a number of them in my sheets and on the privacy curtain. I have bites all up and down my arms and legs. By the last night, between the violent drunks and the bedbugs, I finally just gave up, packed my bags and went down to reception at 6am to book a different hostel, have some coffee and kill some time until I could check into the other place.

Due to the bugs, I had to spend almost the cost of an extra night's stay to have everything I own steamed and washed, so as not to bring the infestation along for the rest of my journey.

Be careful of this place.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Bangkok, Thailand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

I booked to stay at Reggae for 4 nights and ended up staying for 6 mainly because of Charlie, the daytime manager who makes you feel so at home and will do anything to help you. He is an angel.
The beds are cubicle style with a mirror, curtain and light, making it very comfortable and private.
The bathrooms were clean and there is hot water too,
The atmosphere is very sociable, but it can get noisy in the evening.
I had a great time, met some lovely people and didn't want to leave.

Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Newark, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

Overall...great worthwhile stay. This was the first hostel I stayed in during my travel. The staff definitely made the experience as well. They were not only friendly, detailed, informative, and kind...they were hilarious, and a fun crowd to be around! We had some fun nights chatting with the entire staff.

The only reason I'm not giving it the full 5 stars is the issue there isnt a whole lot space, but that maybe standard in most places in Georgetown, due to its colonial architecture. Its a beautiful building but the infrastructure is a bit weird, and the set up caused it to be a bit crammed throughout the place.

But nonetheless, we didnt spend that much time at the hostel, so having it be "roomy," was not necessarily at the top of criteria.

The hostel itself had an amazing location, and we were able to get to and from most places with ease. And if you did get lost, most people knew of Reggae Mansion Hostel and could point you in the right direction.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

I was really impressed with this place. Ordinarily I wouldn't book into a party hostel but I wanted some friendly company so I chose here. The owner checked me in and couldn't have been more friendly (some of the other staff are less friendly/helpful).

I arrived on Saturday night and the music was loud until 4am but I was so comfortable in my little cubicle that I actually didn't care. It stopped earlier on subsequent nights. The room was great, I was in a 4 bed dorm and had my own power points, cupboard and locker under the bed. A locker was also available in the lounge area if I wanted.

One of the highlights was breakfast, not only because they served eggs a different way each day (omelettes, scrambled, french toast) but because the owner greeted everyone personally and got them a cup of tea or coffee, and matched up solo people so they had someone to talk to. I spent the whole day with one breakfast buddy trekking in the national park and had an awesome day.

The bathrooms were excellent - basic on first look, and you can't flush toilet paper, but the showers are fantastic with great water pressure and HOT water. Laundry is available with same-day service (fresh PJs!) and they are really good with booking bus tickets, it's so easy because a minibus comes to take you to the main bus.

Overall I really enjoyed this hostel and would recommend it for solo travellers who want to meet up with other people.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

This hostel was simply amazing! I knew from the minute I walked in that it had great character, atmosphere and friendly staff. Good place to meet other backpackers. The dorms consist of individual cubicles with light, powerpoint and even a mirror! The manager from Reggae Mansion KL was visiting and she was lovely! Took her own time to take a group of us to the markets and the chinese new year festival. I was also lucky enough to meet the owner of the Reggae chain. He was a fantastic guy! Really friendly and took us on a tour around the new Reggae Mansion Penang before it opened. The old guy at the door was so nice. Gave me a big hug when I left. The only downside was the lady with the glasses who works at night. She should be fired. The rudest person I've ever met. (You'll see what I mean when you get there). Aside from that, thumbs up! This place was great and I'd recommend it to anyone :)

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

Reggae hostels is part of a chain of hostels in Malaysia. There are a few locations in KL namely. When I first arrived, I was greeted in a less friendly manner than I'm used to. I later found out that this is usually the case at the hostel. The staff never seem that friendly except for the 2 managers/owners.

I liked the cubicles as it provided a cozy place to sleep. You had your own socket+light in addition to privacy. Rooms were air conned and there is a balcony to hang out. There is also an area to watch movies and 2 computers to use. There is no real lounge area but you can hang out downstairs by the bar. Location is great as you can get everything from great street food to hookers within 5 minutes. Everything seemed clean and showers were good as well. It also came with an egg based breakfast (always a plus). Sometimes there's a party at the bar downstairs or you can just chill and drink.

Overall I recommend Reggae Penang.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

I started by one night in private room in a hotel, then move to the hostel next door to Reggae, and due to the recommendations from the group, I end up my 3 next nights in Reggae. So far, this is my best experience among all three. The bed is very clean, the ambience in social area is nice and enjoyable. Very good location, and music with good beats are a plus. Many options in social area: including bean bags, computers (internet is kind of slow), balcony, billards, bar counter, sofa, and happy hours. They have Reggae in KL too, and travel partner also recommends it.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo

Been to Reggae Penang Love Lane Hostel? Share your experiences!