“Great staff, nice location, superb atmosphere” 4 of 5 stars

You added MoonTree 47 to your Saves list
MoonTree 47
47 Muntri Street, George Town, Penang Island 10200, Malaysia   |
Warsaw, Poland
“Great staff, nice location, superb atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013 via mobile

Hotel is very cozy, clean and designed in an old fashioned colonial style so to speak. There are many details that stick to the overall design beginning with breakfast menu and ending with tap. Rooms we've stayed at were small, with 2 levels. It was pretty hard to get upstairs due to narrow and small steps. Ac was ok. The location is good-you can easily access the town and busses on foot. The staff, especially owner, are super friendly and super helpful. I fully recommend for backpackers who want to get good vintage clean friendly place for reasonable money.

• Stayed June 2013

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Penang Island, Malaysia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

The place looks nice from outside and the cafe is great. However, they did not spend much money in rooms and rooms are very dark and just dirty, not antique looking. Their mattress has bed bugs and smells very funny. Bed bugs were in the small room (shared bathroom).
Additionally, male owner was not nice at all!
When we arrived with lots of luggage, he said "So many luggages. How many people are staying?". I thought what's wrong with my luggage? I just had to travel with lots of luggages!
On another day, my local friends drove me to the guest house and we decided to have a cup of coffee. This guy immediately said "all of you cannot enter!", assuming that my friends were going to enter my room. It was very rude of him.
If he did not want my friends to go inside the room, why so? Did he think that all of them would stay there?

I have to admit that the location is nice and some of his services, such as giving me a friendly map, was nice. But I will never go back there.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Dear Sir

Thanks for you kind review and We are so sorry for bed bugs problem, we do have doing some treatment monthly to prevent bed bug and termite control. After the treatment, it might have some smell.

I would like to apologize for my impolite way, maybe i don't your friends just come for visit you and i thought all of them will be join you in your room. Cause our rooms area is straightly only for room guest.

For the above matter, we will like to offer you a night stay with us again and all with compliment. All you need to do is tell us when is the date and we will reserved for you. If we don't have room for the date you mention then you might like to choose other day.

petaling jaya
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

Our bed was basically a mattress on the floor with 2 pillows. The whole place was shabby but we decided since we were only just sleeping there and going to spend the whole day outside it'd do. Also we felt bad about maybe cancelling on the same day. Bad mistake. Because the walls are latticed at the top, we could hear every single sound from the adjoining rooms. One room's occupants came back late and we got up. The next room got up at 7am in the morning and started playing Carly Rae Jepsen's 'Call Me Maybe' on repeat for about 45 minutes. We could also hear the occupants chatting. There's only one toilet and shower (outdoors) shared between 3 rooms. They were clean enough but there's a super lack of privacy, especially for the toilet because it's just shutters and there are small gaps at the sides of the doors. The worst thing however was that after waking up the next morning, I saw some insect bites on my right arm, feet and neck. At first I thought they were mosquito bites but they seemed harder and itchier. While packing up, we found a fat bed bug! After killing it, there was blood. We found another smaller one and same thing, it was filled with blood too! All in all, I've around 40 bites and I'm still itching and regretting having stayed there. They are definitely bed bug bites as I've checked on the internet, they look the same, their itch is unlike mosquitos and also I sleep on my right which explains the lack of bites on my left arm. Also having killed 2 bed bugs found in the room itself, there's no doubt in my mind I was bitten by bed bugs in this backpacker's place.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Sir

For the noisy between room to room, we can't control it cause that is an old fashion rooms. Anyway I would like to apologize for all the above matter and for this matter, we will like to offer you a night stay with us again and all with compliment. All you need to do is tell us when is the date and we will reserved for you. If we don't have room for the date you mention then you might like to choose other day. For sure, i will arrange you a quiet room which is the room at the back and the room is with air-con and attach bathroom.

best regards
dickie
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

Dear backpackers, please do not stay in Moontree 47. Why? The mattress i had was infested with bed bugs. My girlfriend and I were bitten all over. Woke up the next morning to see bugs (with our blood) crawling on our sheet! He should be lucky we didn't ask for a refund and medical bills. Apart from that, Our room reeked of insect poison. No wonder the owner was wearing a face mask. He didn't bother to tell us about the smell. Wicked. Electric socket isn't working. He had the guts to charge us RM100 for a night stay. With that price we booked another hostel nearby the next day with air con and individual toilet. Moontree 47 overcharged us. Boo!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Sir

I would like to apologize for the above matter and for this matter, we will like to offer you a night stay with us again and all with compliment. All you need to do is tell us when is the date and we will reserved for you. If we don't have room for the date you mention then you might like to choose other day.

best regards
dickie
Malaysia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

Thisboutiquue motel (I don't think they deserved to be addressed as "hotel" from Malaysian point of view) is selling it through vintage and old furnitures as the boutique theme. But somehow, the motel is poorly maintained. If you are a fan of vintage, I would recommend you to visit the Peranakan Mansion which is within walking distance instead of spending hundred dollars staying in this motel.

We booked a suite type room with USD 110 per night. The room is dated, wood floored (note, I use wood instead of timber as you feel you will be falling off fromthe wood floor), dirty (seeing spider webs and dust) and with very basic arrangement - Just four mattresses on the floor and a simple hanger wood (Not even a clothes cabinet is provided). Noisy fan and air conds. That is all you have in your room. A LCD TV is set with no channels available in that studio room, slow wi-fi, and a washing basin in the living room. What a weird arrangement. And they give you a lock to lock your room.

The food and beverages are overpriced and the food quality is decent.

The owner who is the front desk staff is rude and unfriendly. But what to expect from a MOTEL owner? Though they tend to decorate their motel with a lot of dated accessories, but to me, the decoration is more likely haunted feeling than giving vintagel feeling. Cats running around at the dining hall. How inhygient is it when you see cats running around while dining.

It is unlikely to give compliment and providing a pro of this motel. Which normally i will try to look for something good during my stay. But, unfortunately, I can't really find any in my two nights stay.

I would recommed some other hotels along or nearby Muntri Street if you think you want the strategic location. I will not recommend this motel to anyone with present condition and bad attitude. Save your wallet and witht he same price, you can go to Cititel which is nearby and i am sure you get better value from the money spent.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Kuala Lumpur
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Being a great big fan of old vintage furnitures and accessories, I absolutely love the experience of exploring the hotel various items that graced every corner of the common area. We got the double-storey rooms at the back of the hotel, which is cute, but unfortunately can feel a tad too claustrophobic for some with narrow spaces and low ceiling.

The narrow, steep stairway connecting the two floors can be a real hazard and should be used with great care at all times. The shower area on the top floor is technically right at the balcony overlooking the common walkway downstairs, and while it is an excellent spot to while a cooling afternoon away, can also compromises on your privacy. Also the tightly-packed rooms and thin walls mean your pleasant stay is at the mercy of various sources of disturbances, especially from inconsiderate patrons. We experienced one just like that, who blasted latin music from within their room next door. The owner, Dickie, did nothing to stop them, nor did he follow-up with me after having received my email about the incident.

The price range of this hotel means that we do not expect anything close to luxury, but there are unfortunately two items that the management has obviously stinged on. The first one is the thin sheet of towel that not only does very poorly in absorbing water, but also smells rather bad when wet. The second is the thin small sheet of blanket that is big enough just for one person, despite that being meant for two.

Apart from the above, the stay was a pleasant one, and so is the excellent location of this hotel. Nevertheless, there are many hotels of this price range around Georgetown so I will definitely try some of these out before coming back to this one again.

Room Tip: Rooms in the same building as the reception has no air-conds, rooms at the back of the hotel is spli...