“Decent” 4 of 5 stars

62, Muntri Street, Georgetown, Penang Island 10200, Malaysia   |
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Decent”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

Everything was pretty good at Ryokan. Clean room, strong but quiet aircon (which is very important during hot days), clean and spacious toilets, SUPER STRONG showers (the best I have experienced), basic breakfast, central location and the street seems pretty safe. The only downside is the noise, which came out from the wooden floor when people walked past the corridor. During our stay there was construction going on next door, and they started hammering and drilling at around 8 o'clock when most people were probably still sleeping. The noise was too loud for us to continue sleeping. Other than that, it was a pretty nice stay there.

Room Tip: Our 4-bed dorm had a window but it's connected to the corridor, so we had almost no natural ligh...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
K-City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

Actually i visit Penang and stay in this cozy hotel was 2 years ago. It was really memorable, and we re really appreciate for the totally service they give to us.

We re choose the mix dorm, so we re prepare to sleep in same room with any man. That was not really peak season of holiday, thats why we got 1 room for ladies only. Small room, with 4 beds. This hotel is easily to reach by walk from the main street. There were cozy place, good people who help us and give us some advise till the last day we stay. That really attractive paintings,greeting you when you arrive at this hotel.

Room Tip: Try to ask more information if ur book the room on site. Can we get private room, only ladies, etc..
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2014

We stayed in a 4-bed dorm for 2 nights. Initially, we had booked for 1 6-bed dorm but were granted a free upgrade to a 4-bed one with no extra charge (probably due to vacancies!). Just a note that the 4-bed dorm has no windows, so for fellow claustrophobic travelers like me myself, you might want to consider a 6-bed dorm with windows (which really helped to remind you of the time of the day with all that natural sunlight.. haha). The bathrooms were plentiful and water pressure was really comfortable for a warm and comforting bath.

Dorm bed was really comfortable and design was modern and classy. Air-con was well-functioning and there was enough walking space and 4 small cabinets to place your luggage in. Hostel staff was really nice and friendly. Breakfast was a typical fried eggs and 2 sausages, with unlimited coffee and toast (of course with your choice of butter, jam or kaya!). I would suggest you eat just a little to save some tummy space before you indulge in all that delicacies Penang offers.

Location wise, I quite like where Ryokan was located as it was quite accessible to everywhere we wanted to go although we had a car to travel around. The whole Georgetown is really walkable and there are 2 street arts nearby the hostel as well!

One downside was that the construction sounds were pretty disturbing as they start hammering early in the morning (like 7-8am ish, and weirdly enough, they stop hammering at around 11am when most of us would be away from the hostel...). It kinda served as a natural alarm clock but was honestly a little annoying. And for non-cat lovers like me, there was a cat who may give you a surprise attack by entering the dorm but the kind staff Edward actually helped me to chase the cat away and several times, I saw him shooing the cat away as it attempted to enter. Much thanks to him for that.

All in all, I really enjoyed the stay in Ryokan and we spent around RM248 for 2 nights, 4 people in a dorm. I was never expecting that kind of price for this kind of room so we were really glad with our stay at Ryokan.

Room Tip: Try to choose a room towards the end/away from the stairs because you can actually hear footsteps of...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Jakarta, Indonesia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014 via mobile

It was my first time coming to Penang. Had nothing to expect. The moment I got to the hotel, I knew I made the right choice staying there. Muntri street is like an old neighborhood block. There's a beautiful temple nearby, old buildings, murals, and still very close to the heart of George Town.
The place itself is clean and tidy and hip. Perfect for a solo trip or trip with friends. The staff are friendly and nice. The best part? Bike rentals and cable TV! Hahahaaha

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Bangalore, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

The dorm we stayed in was a 4-bed one. 3 people and the 4 the person didnt show up. Which is super cause the dorms are super-duper small. And yet Ryokan bears my highest recommendation! If you want windows and fresh air, please step out. :D
The dorms are cleaner than ANY I have see ANYWHERE! They are small but compact and the beds and linen is extremely great quality. The AC works fabulously...The shared baths are very clean and I just took a few extra showers because the water pressure was so great. The location is superb regardless of what you want to do.
I must say that Georgetown was a revelation for me and Ryokan made our stay perfect!
They have a restricted but sufficient breakfast. They served us an early breakfast on the day we were travelling out...
The winning thing about Ryokan is their staff... they are more than eager to help...honestly when you travel its a lot about the people you meet...and Ryokan has their act firmly firmly together...

I happily extended my stay with them a day longer!

I will strongly recommend Ryokan! I will go back in a heartbeat!

Ryokan does the small things right! Great job guys!!

Love from us.

Room Tip: Its a new property, stay anywhere you like!! They do have rooms with ensuite baths but the shared ba...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Jakarta, Indonesia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2014

actually this hostel is really nice with comfy bed and sofas in living room and also free breakfast. I stayed here on last feb for 2 nites with my friends. my first nite staying here, I got female dorm because bed on the loft dorm was fully booked. the bed is really comfortable and looked solid. but no window at the room. when we was sleeping at night, the lane outside my room is really noisy esp. when people walked from their room to shower room. at my second nite is on the loft, the only room in 3rd floor with private bathroom. it much better since we can slept better without noise of others footsteps, but wifi can't reach the room. but overall, this hostel is recommended, the free breakfast is include scrambled egg, sausage, all you can eat bread, and fruits. the receptionists, they are kind and helpful.

Room Tip: the loft, for better sleep, but you have too pass extra stairs and no wifi inside
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Worcester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014

Stayed here in the 6 bed dorm. The hostel is in a good location, is clean, tidy and with enough showers and toilets. The design is very chic, with cool little areas filled with beanbags to chill out in. Breakfast was good. The guy that checked us in was v friendly and helpful, however cant say much for the other members of staff, could smile more. Woukd recommend.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Ryokan @ Muntri Street? Share your experiences!