“Worth the penny!!!” 4 of 5 stars

62, Muntri Street, Georgetown, Penang Island 10200, Malaysia   |
Ipoh, Malaysia
“Worth the penny!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

I stayed at this guesthouse with my sister last Friday. We took up the 4-beds dorm for RM 80 with shared bathroom.

The guesthouse is decorated very modernly and simple. The guesthouse is also quite easy to find and it is within walking distance to delicious food and bus stop to take buses. By the way, the street is quiet during night, so you can expect a good night sleep. Though there will be some noises when people walk along the corridor, I think that is tolerable considering that the wooden floor.

The room is clean and spotless and very well air-conditioned. The bed especially is very comfortable. The same goes to the pillow as well. I do have one complaint about the blanket. The blanket is way too thin and too small in size. It cannot cover the whole person and it cannot keep people warm. In my opinion, the management has to take note on this matter as many of your customers is tall in height.

The bathroom is one of the highlight of this guesthouse. They are clean and well-decorated. I especially like the rain shower head. It definitely helps relieving my tiredness after a day of sight-seeing.

The staff are helpful and they have good attitude.

In short, within the price range, it is definitely the guesthouse to go to. I'd stay here again for my next visit.

Thanks for giving us such a pleasurable time.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

340 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

Great hostel. Nice rooms: comfortable bed, big lockers, and light and electrical plug at each bed. clean bathrooms and shower has shampoo, body wash, and a rain shower shower head! excellent staff, nice free breakfast and water! I would definitely stay again and recommend to all!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013 via mobile

I booked the Luxury Room for 2 nights and paid in full online. I expected good customer service but I was wrong. The day we got here, they just showed us the room and that was it. They're not as helpful as everybody else says which makes me wonder why we were treated differently. The room is average. It's far from what you see on the internet. Also, the wifi doesn't reach inside our room 103. I have to go out to the lobby to connect to the wifi then trace my way carefully back to the room and stand beside the toilet so i won't lose the wifi connection. They did not do housekeeping in our room as well. Everything is disappointing. They did not try to talk to us or give us advice or anything. No good customer service whatsoever. How can they expect people to come back here? Well as for me, i will never go back.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

I was here with 40 of my students, and 4 colleagues. We took up the entire hostel and despite the number of people, the staff were cool, and handled everything well. Big Kudos to Luffy! You are the best! From helping to arrange for catering, to booking of transportation, to even being our guide! Thank you for everything! (Your boss should give you a big raise!!)

The beds were nice, toilets were clean, with nice smelling fragrance. We loved the Luxury rooms which came with our own toilet and showers.

The area around Ryokan is absolutely lovely- being near to eateries, and the interesting Love Lane. Big al fresco Food Court that opens late is just 5 mins walk away.

Love it so much, we will definitely be back!!

Room Tip: Best luxury room, is 103, furthest away from the dining area and lounge area as it was quiet. The lo...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013 via mobile

Great value and so clean and the staff go out of their way to help you with anything! Will be back soon to stay with them! :)
Fast wifi and bean bags and food and drinks and clean bathrooms and brochures and maps and push bikes anuthung that you could need ever!

• Stayed June 2013
j.b
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

stay for 2 night in "LUXURY by RYOKAN", except some noise cause by walking wooden made building. overall good for value, chic, you can meet new friend, friendly staff, location near a lot delicious local penang food.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

I stayed at Ryokan for 3 nights while in Penang. My booking for a 6-bed dorm was upgraded to a 4-bed dorm because the hostel wasn't busy, which was nice. The location is great - right in the middle of the city, so the sights are within walking distance. The free breakfast is filling and a great bonus - eggs, sausage, toast and coffee / tea. Most importantly, the staff are very helpful with advice about things to do in the city as well as general travel plans. They dialled the numbers of hostels for the next city, so that I could make a reservation at my next destination.

The only downside (for some) might be the co-ed bathrooms, but this wasn't an issue for me as they are kept clean. Also, the property doesn't have a lift, but the receptionist carried my bag for me at check-in, so you only need to carry it down the stairs once when you leave :)

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Been to Ryokan @ Muntri Street? Share your experiences!