My husband and I (along with our 2 year old ShihTzu) moved to Penang for work and needed a pet friendly place to stay for at least 3 weeks while we house hunted. We had never been to Malaysia before and the Muntri Mews couldn't have been a better place for us to start out!
The staff are so sweet and were very attentive. They knew us by name when we arrived to check-in, carried our luggage, and were eager to help us with everything. Every time we got back to the hotel from exploring they would immediately bring ice water to our room. Each room has an outdoor patio table and there are a few outdoor cabbanas that are great for enjoying a drink, reading or chatting with other hotel guests. If we were sitting outside the staff would bring us water and a fan to keep cool. Our rooms were cleaned twice a day and according to OUR schedule which we really appreciated. The house keeping staff would wait until we were out to eat or exploring the town to come in and clean. If we decided to sleep in or not leave the room at all that was okay too! They never once bothered us or knocked on the door. It was quiet and private and I felt that myself and all of our belonging were safe and secure.
The restaurant and outdoor cafe were always very clean and have AMAZING coffee! The food was good too :) We ate breakfast at the outdoor cafe almost everyday (we preferred our breakfast outside so that our furry friend could join us on his leash!) and when we were too tired to adventure into town for dinner we would eat at the hotel restaurant or outdoor cafe. They have the same menu and both can be VERY romantic! The lighting and candles are beautiful and they always have some soft jazz playing in the background.
Also, the staff can send your laundry out for you in the mornings and it will be returned to you clean and nicely folded the following afternoon for RM10 (just over $3 US dollars). What a steal! We would send about a small laundry baskets worth every few days.
We took our dog on 2 or 3 small walks a day and you do have to walk about 1 block down before you will see a patch of grass for potty time. If your pet likes longer walks there is a good 10-12 minute loop around the block with sidewalks and grass. Take a right out of the hotel and take a left at each intersection until you are back on Muntri :)
The hotel provided brand-new toothbrushes, toothpaste, body wash, shampoo, towels, hair dryer, shower sandals, shower stool, clothes rack, small table and chairs, and 2 glasses with 2 large bottles of purified water that they replenished everyday. No wash cloths though. The bathroom and shower were modern and had great water pressure. They also provided us with a temporary cell phone since there are not landlines in the room. It was great to have a cell phone that could call and text until we picked a service provider here and our new cell phones arrived.
Helpful hints: They hotel is hard to spot if you are driving! You must drive VERY slow or be walking. From the street you will see a bunch of trees/bushes and the outdoor cafe but the sign is hard to spot because of the angle. You have to walk thru the hotel's outdoor cafe to get to the front desk/check-in. Also, you are literally in downtown so the streets are narrow and there is no hotel parking. You must park your car on the street. However, everything is in walking distance so you don't really need to drive! We left our car parked in the same place for days and just turned our parking slips into the hotel who pays them for you as part of your stay.
This hotel and the staff have a special place in our hearts! Now that we live here we plan to visit the outdoor cafe at Muntri Mews frequently and intend to bring along friends and family who are visiting from the U.S.
- Also Known As:
- Muntri Mews Hotel
- Muntri Mews Hotel Georgetown
- Muntri Mews Penang/Georgetown
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Muntri Mews is affordable luxury accommodation for today flash packer located in the heart of Georgetown the UNESCO world heritage site.every room come with spacious lounge areas opening out to the Verandah upstairs or to the lush private tropical garden downstairs.Muntri street has one of the best preserved rows of townhouse residence in Malaysia. elegant expression of 19th century straits Chinese architecture, equivalent to Singapore Emerald Hill. these grand terraces invariably had mew- private stables for horse carriages, with staff quarters upstairs which then became garage for motor cars during the Edwardian Era. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda and Booking.com so you can book your Muntri Mews reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.