“What a gem” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Yeng Keng Hotel

Save Saved
You added Yeng Keng Hotel to your Saves list
Yeng Keng Hotel
3.5 of 5 Boutique Hotel   |   362 & 366, Chulia Street, Georgetown, Penang Island 10200 , Malaysia   |
Ranked #2 of 50 hotels in Georgetown
New Zealand
“What a gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

We stayed here for 5 days, loved it. We soaked in Georgetown and loved walking, sampling hawker food, seeing beautiful Chinese shop houses. The hotel was a wonderful haven to escape the heat and madness ( also smoke, we were there when the Indonesia fires were running riot). The locals were so friendly. Hotel was tasteful and liked all the little touches like the toothpaste,toothbrush,razor and shaving foam.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

540 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Burlingame, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

room was fine, location good but I needed leave a day early and I was forced to pay for a day I didn't use or need. I wouldn't go back because of that reason. I did like the architecture of the hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

I will probably regret writing this review - it's like sharing the Gower coast with the world - not lightly done!
Accurately described as boutique, this hotel is the calm in the bustle of Georgetown.
Recently renovated to a very high standard the hotel has the atmosphere of a traditional Chinese mansion, situated privately with its own grounds, quiet pool and courtyard.
Ground floor bedroom was compact but stylishly furnished and comfortable.
Adjacent to the hotel is the Yeng Keng cafe that serves residents a cosmopolitan and varied breakfast and is also open to the public. Lunch and dinner menus are reasonably varied and are attractively priced, as is the bar.
Staff were exceptionally efficient, helpful and polite.
The decor is traditional and characterful; just outside the gate you greet the buzzing cosmopolitan community that is Georgetown.

Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Kuala Lumpur
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

My family and I was very interested to book 2 nights stay at Yeng Keng. I can summed up my online experience and my phone call to a receptionist lady at yeng Keng on sunday 14 july, 7pm as utterly disappointing.
Firstly... The Mansion Double Room was listed as having 1 King size bed in BOTH hotel.com and www.yengkenghotel.com.my. When I enquired further I found out to my great dismay that it is 2 single beds joined together. I was then told for a family of 3, ie husband, wife and a child of 4 years old we have to take Courtyard Family room. Even the beds in the Courtyard Family room was listed as having a king size bed. I feedbacked to the receptionist that it is misleading. She replied, it is out of her control.

Secondly, I wanted to understand the hotel's children policies, so I enquired what if I my family is a family of 3, husband, wife and a child of 1 year old, the receptionist says we have to take a baby cot. I said I didn't need one, how do you charge? And the lady receptionist told me, it depends on the situation. I asked, what situation? And she replied, perhaps I can call back later and speak with her superior in the most agitated fashion!

I was quite shocked by then, but I was cordial still. I said, so you wldnt be able to help me then? She said she can, and she has already answered my questions but I continued asking this and that
Wow wow wow.. Astonishing!

I'm sorry to say I wld not be making my stay here unless the service level is stepped up. The hotel looks beautiful, however, with undertrained staffs like the one I just experienced, the hotel will definitely see a dent in its reputation and ultimately bottom line.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Bergen, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

Very nice small hotel.(10-12 rooms in total) Spacious rooms, friendly staff, and a beautiful building.
Great atmosphere, and a nice little pool in the back. Several notches up from the other hotels in that street.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Mandurah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013 via mobile

My wife & I stayed 3 nights at the Yeng Keng Hotel and were not disappointed. It was renovated in 2009 and they did a great job.
On arrival we were greeted by friendly staff who were always willing to help with any requests or questions we had. We stayed in a mansion room next to reception which was quiet. The hotel is set back from the busy Chulia St and from our room we could not hear the noise from the street
The room was modern and clean.
A delicious smorgasbord breakfast was included in the room rate.
Location is excellent being in the middle of Chinatown. Local buses stop very close to the hotel. These are cheap and can be used to get anywhere on the island. There is also the route of the free shuttle bus not far away on Penang Rd which travels around the main tourist destinations in Georgetown.
There is also a great hawker stall setup close to the hotel near the corner of Chulia St and Carnarvon St where we enjoyed noodle / chicken dish, spring rolls and peanut ball sweet dish all prepared and cooked in front of us. We also loved the fresh fruit juice prepared at the stall while we waited. Penang is the place to go for good food and these hawker stalls provided us with the best evening meals we tried in Penang.

• Stayed July 2013
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

A lovely hotel set in historic Georgetown. The hotel has been renovated and furnished with gorgeous Chinese antique furniture. The facade and front was very impressive.

The rooms were spotless and although in busy Chulia Street it was very quiet. The bus was only a few meters from the front door and took you to he ferry, the night markets and Gurney Drive shopping centre.

Breakfast was good and all staff very obliging.

Room Tip: A room on the first floor overlooking the pool