“Good start to holiday” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Red Rock Hotel

You added Red Rock Hotel to your Saves list
Red Rock Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   202A Jalan Macalister, George Town, Penang Island, Malaysia   |
Ranked #41 of 54 Hotels in George Town
Townsville, Australia
“Good start to holiday”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

Our family of 6 stayed at Red Rock over the xmas break,great hotel,good breakfast,area convenient for transport,staff good except for head receptionist who had a massive chip on her shoulder and really didn't want to be there,after an 8 hour flight with children this is not appreciated,the rest of the staff were happy and very helpful,so maybe management may do some retraining of this lass.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

We booked elsewhere but it was so unacceptable (highly discrepancy from online photos) we had to leave and look for elsewhere. We were lucky with the help of a private tour guide acted as taxi pickup driving us around looking for alternatives. And we found Red Rock, we were lucky.
We stayed in two rooms next to each other. One with king size bed and one with two singles.
Nice rooms with all basics like TV, mini fridge, tea/coffee etc. Water bottles supplied everday.
Tv had limited channels but that was not a problem since normally we would go out most of the time anyway.
Clean sheets and towels that were changed everday about 10ish when people tended to leave their rooms.
Our rooms facing the side of the hotel looking down onto the hotel swimming pool. The pool design was nice but had aged (someone told us the hotel was about 20 year old now). People came to the pool to have a phash now and then, but we did not tried as we were on our feet most of the time.
The window was wide and clear so we had good view of that side of the town day/night. We could see all the tall buildings, traffics, the pulse of the town, all from our window and it spreaded far out to the hills and surrounding areas. It has thick curtains of course if you need to shade your room away.
We were on the 10 floor so even though the hotel was on a main street and sort of in the middle of a busy town, we heard no traffic noise.
Air con was quiet and nice. Double room had a bathtub as well and we did tried it, it was very nice.
One big drawback, all occupants of the two rooms found that beds and pillows were too hard for our liking. We did not enjoyed them as much as we did with the hotel we stayed in KL (the One Stop Residence Hotel).
Breakfast included and we enjoyed it thoroughly each morning. Breakfast food were basics with toast, butter, jam, or cereal and sausages for Westerns and fried rice, Char Kway Teow/ fried noodle, Chinese porridge for Easterns. It could be that the way they cooked, it was above areage for us.
My children tried most of them and they liked them. We tried the chinese most of the time except the porridge, and we liked them too. After the savoury meals there was the fruits to wash it all down. That was actually the best part for me at least, as I was in tropical fruits and fruit in general. I would not forget those sweet juicy papaya, pineapple, watermellon, and rockmellon. All cut up ready to be scooped up and enjoyed in air con room each morning.
They also had juice, tea and coffee. The coffee was good, sometimes I had to have more than 1 cup eventhough it was simply coffee machine coffee.
With full tummy and content we threw on our backpacks and went out to explore every day.
Reception staffs were friendly and competent. They answered all questions and helpful with printing out our boarding passes for free (we had to pay 1 Myr /page at the hotel in KL).
Front door boys were always there to open taxi doors for us, loaded/unloaded our luggages. They did not asked or had any hints for asking but we tipped them 1 myr / piece of luggages. They were always ready and smile.
Hawker foods were everywhere outside the hotel. At first we only tried restaurants with air con as the smell of 'open sewers' prevented us eating outside. But then somehow we got use to it eventually, and tried and we were hooked. Their food were good sometimes even better and were really cheap.
We discovered a great 'wanthan mee' hawker a block away from the hotel. It was in a cafe shop sharing space with multiple other hawkers. It was simply egg noodles with wanthans in soup/broth or soy sauce but somehow so delicious. Its 'sui kaou' (a type of dim sum) were to die for. We had them everyday, even just before our ride to the airport to fly out, and we even took some with us to the airport to enjoy while waiting.
For Red Rock, rooms was good, services were there, location perfect, we wouldnt mind come back.

Room Tip: Lifts were fast so choose high floor rooms for view and avoiding street noise.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Klang Bah Kut Teh
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013 via mobile

I used to stay in this hotel in the past and choose to stay in this hotel again this time as we extend our business trip. I was rather disappointed looking on how dated this hotel is after my previous stay 5 years ago. Although room is big, the carpet is not that clean and dust can be seen at the side of the wall. We were given the small cup of mineral water instead of those 500ml mineral bottle that we usually received from other hotel. Wifi is provided but the connection is very weak and we can't use it at all for the most of the time. Limited choices for the breakfast as well. On the bright side, parking attendants will help you to unload/load luggages if you happen to stop in front of the lobby. Location is near by eateries as well which is strategic. Other than that, I think it is just good for a night stay or two.

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

We were stay for 2 nites in deluxe room. The room are spacios and clean but there is no baby cot provided. The location is good in the georgetown just next to UMNO building.there are many howker/restaurant surrounding the hotel. Breadfast is just serve basic (toasted bread,fried rice,sousage,eggs,salad).Swimming pool is not that clean.

Room Tip: with number end of "38" is corner room, will be bigger room
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

1. Hotel location is handy and good. Next block was just a local night market. Very convenient for shopping and having food around as closer to Chinatown, only 7-10 mins to Komtar shopping centre. Much food selections around Jalan Macalister and Jalan Burma.
2. Hotel breakfast was excellent. Good taste.
3. Male staff are more friendly, no English language barriers and helpful. I remember there is one female staff (speaking local language, I rang up 3 times for the housekeeping service, my calls got hang up just becuase she said to me " No English", oh well, wrong attitude, if you can not speak, that's fine, you can get someone to help me at least. I recommend that female staff needs to be trained on hospitality as I don't see much female staff were helpful compared to male staff. Overall I am happy in this hotel and would recommend friends in the future.

Room Tip: no comment on this one.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

This hotel provides best value by :

In general, male staff are much better in terms of English proficiency, experience and knowledge of hospitality.

However, the female staff need to be re-trained. The hotel needs to ensure all staff speak English.

Excellent location which is next to the night market of Jalan Macalister.

Very closed to Komtar and few shopping complex plus Jalan Burma ( the renowned white coffee cafe in Penang)...

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

Stayed at Red Rock Hotel in May 2013. Was in Rm 828. On my return to hotel on 20/5/2013 at 2145, I could not open my padlocks on 2 luggage despite several attempts. On examination, I noticed that they have been tampered with via the openings of the locks! Complaint made to receptionist but he was very unhelpful and tried to fob me off by saying there is no staff to assist me. I had to insist on getting help before he sent 2 staff to check my luggage locks! I informed him that there was no problem on the first 2 days with the locks! Later, he called me on the phone and informed me that I had used the wrong keys for the padlocks! I was very angry by then and upset by his attitude towards my situation. I waited for him to send someone to help me to cut the padlocks so as to get access to my clothes and toiletries. No one came up and after awhile, I had to go down to Reception with my 2 luggage in order to get help. The Night Receptionist was the only one in charge and he took photos of the padlocks after attempting to open the padlocks with my keys. He could not open the padlocks and I told him that I have already tried several times before. He sent a staff later to cut my padlocks off after. By then, I was so upset and angry by the treatment of the Hotel Night Receptionist. He informed me that I could report this matter in the morning to the day staff and Housekeeper.

Next day, I made a complaint and also written my complaint down for the Day staff receptionist. They were very helpful and understanding and asked me for the padlocks and keys for their investigation. The padlocks and keys were given to them and they informed me that the security cameras would record anyone entering the room. I was also assured that they will keep me informed regarding the outcome of the investigation. I have not heard from them until today although I have given them my email contact and telephone number! There was no response from them at all until today and they did not even offer to compensate for the tampered padlocks!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Been to Red Rock Hotel? Share your experiences!