“It ain't that bad” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Royal Penang

You added Hotel Royal Penang to your Saves list
Hotel Royal Penang
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No. 3 Jalan Larut, George Town, Penang Island 10050, Malaysia   |
Ranked #46 of 69 Hotels in George Town
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“It ain't that bad”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

Despite some of the bad reviews on this site, and expecting it to be just a "so-so" hotel, we were taken by surprise that this is a hotel that tried its best to make its guests feel comfortable despite some of its shortcomings. We stayed in an Executive Suite here for 2 nights in December. The air-conditioning system was just giving out moderately cool air but the maintenance staff brought us a fan to further cool the suite. We had a short circuit on our second day, but it was rectified in less than 20 minutes. My only complaint is only on the lack of parking bays at the basement car park, but then we were given the privilege to park our vehicle at the valet parking. This we think, was very considerate on the part of the hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Singapore
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

We booked this hotel without much checking on the reviews and had 5 room checked in on 24/12/2013. Rooms were extremely dirty. Carpet and towels are stained.

2/5 rooms were faulty - one room was short-circuit which was rectified.
Another room (which is our room) has a running tap with loud throbbing sound halfway while my 5 year old was having shower. Technician came to check and told us to change a room as the tap is not serviceable. Front counter staff responded later, asking us to go down to pick up the room key and have it moved on our own! We were certainly upset as any hotel would provide a bellboy service to deliver the key and assist to move our luggage.

The replacement room was even worst. No proper flow of water for shower. Only dripping water from a very old shower hose. We went down to front counter, it was even upsetting. The staff admitted they are fully aware of the replacement room conditions and was very rude when my hubby questioned why they arrange us in such non-stayable condition room. The staff (I cant remember the name of the young malay guy) just shoo us off by telling it's not their responsibility on this and they have no authority to upgrade us except the manager! If we want anything, just wait and speak to their manager.

My goodness! 1st, we are given both non-stayable condition room that wasted at least 45 mins checking-moving-yet cant stay in, Because of that, we made our local friend waited long at the lobby for us to go for christmas eve dinner. 2nd, we have never asked for any room upgrade or refund. All we want was, quickly change us to a proper condition room so that we can check in, proceed with our dinner plan. The attitude of the front counter staff was a such shame to the hotel. I am all ready to check out all 5 rooms and move on to other hotel if it is not because of the manager, Mr. Shaifu. Apparently, he was the only person seriously working that night, solving problems after problems of a few other guests. He managed to change my children and our room in another level which were slightly cleaner, but at least with a functional shower tap. He made effort to walk us to the room, push the trolley of luggage, load them off and ensure everything is in proper before he left to attend the next on queue unhappy guests waiting at the lobby. That certainly simmer our frustration especially after a long drive.

Overall, location is not too bad, with One Corner Cafe approximately 3 min walk, few hair salons and supermarket on next building. Hotel condition is very old and dirty. The hotel staffs, needless to say, 24/12 & 25/12 front counter duty staff & call operator (i supposed same as front counter) have left us with very bad impression, especially the poor attitude over the phone when asked for additional towel. The rest in valet, bellboy, even housekeeping are as friendly as their manager, Mr. Shaifu.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2013

My wife and I stayed at this hotel from 19 Dec - 22 Dec. Here are some pros and cons

1. Pros
- It is close to the middle of town
- Reasonably priced, large rooms
- friendly staff
- behind the hotel is One Corner Cafe which houses one of the best Penang Hokkien noodle (always a queue), the Wan Tan Mee is also very good. I would also recommend the Lor Bak
- nearby is the New World food court. Good food with Starbuck and Old Town coffee outlets next to it.
- also around the corner is Loong Nam. A traditional bakery selling one of the best Tao Sia Piah
- has a good breakfast buffet but you may want to explore the local outlets nearby
- Adjoining is the Penang Plaza which houses a supermarket, a chinese restaurant and many small boutique shops

2. Cons
- the first room that we were given on the a non smoking floor has a strong smoke smell. Management really need to enforce non smoking rules more vigorously
- the rooms need upgrading. Carpets are stained, the linen needs to be replaced
- bathroom supplies are basic

Room Tip: Heard that the rooms on floor 18 and above have been renovated.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Melaka, Malaysia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2013

I would not recommend staying in this hotel ever again.. Services sucks to the max.. Room carpet so freaking dirty.. Toilet cracked everywhere..

I have to wait for my room for more than 2 hrs and all I was told is that the room is not cleaned yet..

Also the staff was not helpful in informing me about the outcome whether my room is ready or otherwise and I have to kept calling and ask..

• Stayed December 2013
Ho Chi Minh
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2013

I personally can't recall about when is the exact month we were staying at this hotel, but it somrwhere in between Sept to Nov 2013.

We arrived to check in around 8pm and upon check in, the receptionist informed us that there will be a power cut in the hotel tomorrow from (maybe) 10am until 3pm.

We were fine about it as we planned to go out for sightseeing during the power cut period.

In the meantime, the room look old but I am okay with it and the price offered was really good (I've go cheap service with this cheap price).

The problem happened when we came back to hotel and found out that theres not hot shower in the hotel (It doesn't work).

Just imagine, its raining season in Penang and its too cold to take shower without hot water. Around 10pm, we called the receptionist and mentioned that they are fixing it and probably will have the hot shower on the next day.

Sleeping without shower and the next day, same thing happened. Still no hot shower. I did verbal complaint to their front office, just 1 word, i'm sorry Sir.

I feel really feel dissappointed about this. Hotel management suppose to please their guest. At least to compensate their guest because of this matter.

This will be my last in Royal Hotel Penang and they didnt deserve 4 star rating for such service and internal outlooks.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
kl
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2013

My stay was from 20-22nd December 2013. Staff are generally nice. Best of all services, I left my gold ring in my hotel room upon leaving the hotel. Called up after a few hours, and the lost and found department found it. Very happy at their honesty, big thanks to lost and found department, Ms Nurul n team!

• Stayed December 2013
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

Room was pretty decent. But the room could be a bit brighter and the air conditioning could be a bit better by being a bit colder. The TV could have been a bit bigger considering it was an ex-Sharaton property.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Royal Penang? Share your experiences!