“A decent hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Royal Penang

You added Hotel Royal Penang to your Saves list
Hotel Royal Penang
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No. 3 Jalan Larut, George Town, Penang Island 10050, Malaysia   |
Ranked #35 of 54 Hotels in George Town
Singapore, Singapore
“A decent hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

I went to Penang and stayed in this hotel for one night on 14apr. With the kind of price I have paid, I think the hotel service is reasonable. Pretty good location, clean room, breakfast was ok and service from the staffs were quite good too.
Just that there is no wifi in the room and the wifi in the lobby was very weak. Besides that, I have no complains about the hotel.

• Stayed April 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Vancouver
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

Comfortable rooms, nice pool, good location close to Jalan Nagore restaurants and bars and New World Plaza eateries. Older, but reasonably well maintained. Central air conditioning without individual thermostats.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Penang
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

Stayed in the hotel for a conference. Conference rooms are old and smelly (smells like dead rats) and at night you can hear the little critters. The rooms also smell bad. My room was a non-smoking room I but once I got back home, everything I own smells like cigarettes. No wifi in the rooms, only at the lobby.
The location is great, right behind the hotel you can find popular hawkers talls, bars and hotspots. 5 mins from George Town.
The staff are all generally nice and accomodating.
Food is not that great, so best to eat at the hawker stalls nearby.
The rooms on 18flr and above are a little better than the rest of the other floors.
But still not worth the money if you are paying more than RM200 for a room.
There are better budget hotels in town to be frank.

Room Tip: 18 floor and above
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

Hotel is in good location, only that it was old, room is hig enought.Transport taxi service good. People are friendly and helpful. Famous Super Hokkien Mee just behind hotel (warning waiting time for a bowl of mee minimum one hour. Walking distance to lot of food and pub.

• Stayed March 2013
Petaling Jaya, Wilayah Persekutuan, Malaysia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

I spent my trip with the whole family during the 4th day of Chinese New Year. We arrived in this hotel and it was 130pm. We tried to check in and thinking if we could get our rooms half an hour earlier. However, here comes all the problems I had faced at the front desk.

It was my fault that I mixed up my bookings as first (2 bookings: 1 with Agoda & another with booking.com.). I thought that the Guest Service Agent was trying to tell me that I haven't pay for my Agoda booking so there was some misunderstanding. When we were trying to understand, Mr. Saiful, the Guest Service Manager started to shout from the last counter he was standing (with a few other guests around), saying: Hello!! Already paid ya!! ... First, there was no greetings except for: Checking in?? when we approached the counter. Then, how could you shouted Hello to your guests instead of saying Excuse Me, Ma'am or Sir, I believe that your booking has been paid thru the Travel Agent.

I calmed myself down and continue listening what the staff would like to tell us about the rooms. "Your rooms status are DIRTY" which means we were unable to check in yet. Now comes the 2nd problem, how could you tell your guests that the room status is dirty?? You should tell your guests that the rooms are not ready for check in yet instead of telling so.

I said nothing and continue asking what time that we can check in. The staff then told us that we can check in at 2pm, which is 30minutes more. So we decided to wait as there is no point for us to drive out again spending just another 30 minutes and come back. The lobby is small enough that you could here the conversations of other guests checking in while you are sitting at the sofa area. There is no rest & relax lounge or somewhere else to sit to wait for your room to be done.

30 minutes past, I went to the counter and asked if my rooms are ready. What really pissed me off was the conversation between me and my partner with the so-called Guest Service Manager. " The rooms are still dirty" "But you told us that we can check in at 2pm that's why we waited here for 30mins. So what time the room will be ready? " "I am not sure. Maybe another 30 minutes?" I then asked him, "What time is check in?" "After 2pm. Sir, IF I AM NOT WILLING TO HELP YOU, I WON'T PERSONALLY GO UP TO THE ROOM AND CHECK FOR YOU! BUT YOU DON'T SEEM TO APPRECIATE MY HELP! " I was so angry with his words and his attitude towards us, immediately I shouted back: " This is not that you are willing to help us or not. This is your job since you've already promised us that we can check in at 2pm and now is already 215pm! I would like to make a complain! " With his very calm face, he replied us " Write In " for a few times.

I worked in hotel industry as well and with my position right now, he should be my superior. However for 2 years I worked in a hotel, I've never talked to my guests like this. I do not understand how can he be a Guest Service Manager if he is talking to his guests like this all the time. Things might turned out better if he could be more polite to his guests. I am really demanding on an explanation from the hotel higher management.

The rooms are old and dirty. They are like falling apart. Washroom had seen better days. The locker was spoiled and the safe box was not working as well. MYR 400 with a room like this, I rather add on another 100bucks to stay in another hotel. I will not recommend anyone to stay in this hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Kangar
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

overall the service and breakfast is ok.location is center.booking by online is better.for the government servant,hotel have special price and sometimes lower than online price.Think about the price I'm paying for ..everything was ok about the hotel.There's a mini market behind of the hotel...a walking distance of food court there but not much choice..

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Ko Samui, Thailand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

We just spend a few nights at a deluxe room. Pretty standard but good value for money. The rooms are a bit old but all is working and the beds are very good! And excellent service of the staff. If something is missing or needed they come right over to bring it to the room or pool. We left our phone in the moonlight bar which is a separate entity and they did everything they could to reach the staff of the bar to come in early to help us out before we checked out that day. Got the phone back!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Royal Penang? Share your experiences!