“Good value budget hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Broadway Budget Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Georgetown
Broadway Budget Hotel
35f Jalan Masjid Kapitan Keling, Georgetown, Penang Island 10200, Malaysia   |
Ranked #17 of 49 hotels in Georgetown
Hyderabad, India
“Good value budget hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

We stayed one night here and it was good value for money. The rooms are basic but clean and the aircon worked. Reception staff exceptionally friendly and gave good advice about eating in Penang.
The stairs are VERY steep and there is no lift but staff will help with cases.
A good stopover hotel

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

60 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Penang Island, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

Thank you to all the staff on the service provided.
I am very satisfied with the service on your behalf.
To all who want budget accommodation I suggest you stay here for a tour of all this staff here is very great especially once En.Arshad, En.Raj and their technicians that En.Rahim, Because giving the best service ..

Once again thank you..

From En.Hafiz & Wife
Chek in date 20/01/2013
Room 16

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Shah Alam, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

I was in Penang for the annual International Bridge marathon. The hotel, situated only a 10 minutes walk away from the shuttle pick-up spot (Port Weld/Bus Terminal) was ideal due to its location and price. If I had more time, I would've been able to spend more time exploring Penang's little india. The room was relatively clean, accessible working wifi, a/c was functioning, toilet was a little cramped but clean. I'm satisfied with the overall service and facilities of this budget hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
NYC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

First I would like to say that my wife and I had been traveling through Malaysia for 40 days when we hit the B'way Budget, & by this point we thought we understood what to expect from a hotel in this country.
We arrived in Penang & thought of spending 4 days at the Broadway Budget after reading an ok write-up in The Lonely Planet Guide. Luckily we only paid for the one night in advance. After being told of a great roti place by the front desk (which blew by the way) we were eager for bed. As soon as I laid down I noticed that the bed was damp. I thought perhaps I was sweaty or that I needed to cool down. Every so often I needed to lift my legs off the bed to stop the clamminess. The problem only persisted through the night. As 10pm hit road works began right below our window. By midnight we'd had enough. We went down to the front desk to complain. The clerk more or less laughed in our faces, not only about the noise but the bed as well. He said that we should have checked the bed before we took the room and as for the noise he said that they should be done soon and that this was very unexpected. Well, I think we passed out from exhaustion around 4am as the noise continued. When I got up to shower I noticed that the whole toilet/shower area was mildewy, which is probably why the bed was damp.The whole place was rank! We got out of dodge as soon as possible. As we departed we even told the guy at the front desk what could be done to make the room better, & again he pretty much just laughed in our faces.

Additionally, the wifi didn't work and when we went back to the same area the next night they were working again in the street. We proceed to ask the construction workers how long this was going on and he said days. So to add insult to injury the guy lied about the work being done because it wasn't suddenly unexpected.

I hope I had a bad experience in room 24 but I can't see any of the other rooms being any better. The place was RANK AND DANK. I would like to add I have stayed in hostels on this trip too so I am not one to be faint of heart. I know dog stuff when I step in it.

We eventually found a fantastic place which was a bit more then what we wanted to spend but after that place we needed piece of mind.

My suggestion is the Hutton Lodge. The rooms are the same price with a shared bathroom or 30 RM more for your own bathroom. Plus free wifi and breakfast. It also won a TripAdvisor award for 2012. The place is just top notch.

Room Tip: Check the bed to make sure the mattress isn't damp before you commit!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Penang, Pulau Pinang, Malaysia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

I went to this hotel with my bf on 21st June 22, 2012 around 3.00p.m.
I told my bf to check whether any rooms available n being told by the receptionist that its fully booked. But at the same time while me waiting in the car, I had make a called to hotel & I get the answered that room still available. What going wrong now?
I asked them where to park the car, he told me that I can park the car at the public car park which opposite of the hotel which I need to pay. Its ok. Its means that this hotel doesn’t provide any private car park. I told him that I will go to hotel around 5 mins. But i make 4 turns of that area to get car park, at the end I parked my car very far. Its might take me more than 10 mins.
I went to the hotel with my bf, this guy told me that they don’t have any standard room and they left the only family room that I need to walk with staircase to 3rd floor & they will charge me for RM90. Why should we stay in family suit for just 2 of us? & I saw in his record book, there are still a lot of empty spaces.
I request to talk to the manager or person in charge, this guy who sitting alone in reception told me he is the manager & he is the only person I can complaint. What can I do now? I am really surprise, how can a manager serve the guests like that? Is it just because my bf is a black guy? Or my bf doesn’t have money to pay? We never ask for any discount. We are here for holiday. Why should we get unfair threaten?

Room Tip: why should we pay for extra to get bad service?
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Seremban, Negeri Sembilan, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights with my family (20 of us). We enjoyed our stay although a bit noisy due to its location.. All 5 rooms booked are clean, the kids are comfortable and the location is strategic n convenient.. The receptionists were friendly and helpful too..

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2012

We stayed there for 2 nights on 28& 29 April 2012. Booked a double room for RM80. Chose duoble bed, with a/c, fan and attached bath. Room was nice for 2 to stay & clean. We very much enjoyed our stay at Penang and being on budget, Broadway is ideal for budget travellers like us. Located strategically at Kapitan Keling and Little India,easy access to other part's of Georgetown.Highly recommend this hotel for those working on budget. In short Broadway is Value for Money!!

Points for improvements:
Hotel should consider the following:
1.Provide complimentary Mineral Water.
2.Thicker Blanket/Comforter

Regards

Mr.Mrs Mahran

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Broadway Budget Hotel? Share your experiences!