The Tune hotel is a perfect example of the adage "you get what you pay for" and also a perfect example of what that means by way of omissions.
We paid the equivalent of about £8 per night, having booked late August 2012, for which we got a 2.5 x 3.5 metre room with no wardrobe, but with a very small hanging rail and only three hangers. Decent storage? Omission number one! Even a small amount of luggage takes up much of what little floor space there is. (We decided to opt out of the daily maid service to avoid having to find somewhere for all the strewn luggage.). There were two chipped and damaged bedside cabinets with no drawers but space underneath you can use for storage, however one of these spaces is occupied by the good sized safe, for which there is no charge to use. Two wall hung bedside lamps, a small fold down table and a full length wall mirror completes the "suite".
The cleanliness left a lot to be desired, particularly in the shower room. The sink was clean, toilet was ok but the seat must always be in the up position when it's being cleaned as the area around the hinges seem to have been neglected for a while. Cobwebs and dead weevils in the shower added to the overall feeling of minimal cleaning effort. The glass screen had heavy soap scum marks from about waist height down and had definitely not had been cleaned properly in a long time. The tiled floor seemed clean and was cool underfoot. Cleanliness - omission number two!
Slightly concerning was the fact the the door closers on the fire doors between the lift lobby and the room corridors had been disconnected, and the doors were permanently open. I made sure I knew exactly where the closest escape route was!
Our rooms were street facing and given that the noise goes on pretty much all night, I'd have appreciated windows that actually fitted well, with double glazing as a welcome bonus. If you need peace and quiet for a good night s sleep, request a back or alley facing room or make sure you pack a sturdy pair of ear plugs. Decent windows? Omission number three!
On the plus side, the beds were comfortable, bed linen clean and pillows acceptable. The location is great for local and international coffee shops, various eateries, local cultural sites, colourful businesses and within easy walking distance to downtown.
Air conditioning consists of a ceiling mounted fan that's robust enough to keep the air circulating and bearable. This can be supplemented by an air con unit (extra charge which we took as an option in our £8) that works a dream and keeps the room chiller cool and adequately beats the Penang heat. One of our rooms had no remote control for the ceiling fan, but maintenance was very quickly on the case and when he couldn't fix it with a new remote, promptly topped up the air con to cover the whole of our stay. Way to go the maintenance guy!
If the room was either slightly bigger or had more/better storage and if the level of basic cleanliness was improved, this would actually be perfect, cheap downtown accommodation. To be honest, I'd take improved cleanliness over the room dimensions!
For UK folks, if you can imagine your worst Travelodge experience and use that as a high benchmark, you're less likely to be surprised and disappointed by what you find at the Downtown Tune Hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Staying true to our unique no frills concept, we provide you a good night's sleep at outstanding value. Our hotels come with high quality beds, power showers, 24-hour security system, and are conveniently located near transportation hubs and popular local attractions. Unnecessary costs are kept at bay by eliminating facilities that you might not need such as swimming pools, gyms, spa rooms etc. Stay within walking distance to the famous dining places of George Town like the famous Lorong Selamat Char Koay Teow. Penang's most famous beach, Batu Ferringhi, is half an hour's drive away from our hotel. The famous hawker centre along Gurney Drive is a must try, and so is the New World Park located right next door to us. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Priceline, Odigeo, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Hotels.com, Agoda and Low Cost Holidays so you can book your Tune Hotel Downtown Penang reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Tune Hotels. Com Downtown Penang Hotel Georgetown
- Tune Hotel Georgetown
- Tune Hotel Downtown Penang George Town