“Wedding Weekend” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Teluk Belanga, Pangkor, Pulau Pangkor 32300, Malaysia   |
Ranked #2 of 30 Hotels in Pangkor
“Wedding Weekend”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

I stayed here before in 1999, and I remember how distinctly disappointed I was then. I didn't have any expectations this time round so it was a pleasant surprise to see how much the resort has improved in over a decade.
I went with another two couples and we all were given rooms in the Garden Wing. The room I stayed in was spacious, clean and well-maintained. The resort grounds were also clean and well-maintained. Peacocks and hornbills roamed freely and made for an interesting sight.
The package we paid for did not include breakfast (at RM66 per person I expect to get to go again and again for as long as breakfast was available!) but I sampled some nice dessert dishes in the PacificTerrace.
The pool area was clean and the private beach strip was visited as much as possible in the two days we were there.
All in all, it was a welcome break and I would definitely recommend the resort to family and friends.

Room Tip: Choose the Ocean View rooms. For obvious reasons. Although the Garden View is not bad at all!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Beijing, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

We recently spent 5 days here with a group of friends. We had an excellent package and really enjoyed everything about this place. The food was good and there was a nice variety in the buffets. We also had set lunches that were delicious! The staff was helpful and friendly and the resort offers a good range of activities. The water is not clear at the beach and there is some garbage when you walk along it past the main part of the resort. I also wish that the guides for some of the activities (jungle trek, bike trek) were more willing to teach us about the trees, insects, etc. There are two pools (plus a kiddie pool) and all were just perfect!

Room Tip: We were upgraded to the Pacific wing where all the rooms have a small balcony overlooking the beach...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

I stayed here with a group back in October 2012 as part of a wedding party before heading out to Pangkor Laut. The resort is very nice in a basic way - the room definitely needed to be updated, but it was comfortable and suited our needs. We loved that the beach was so close to the pool so we could alternate on where we wanted to swim. We went snorkeling one day and had a great time, we were on a private boat and the driver took us to a secluded area which wasnt full of tourists so that we could enjoy your time and not be surrounded by kids! As I said the resort was quite basis, the food in the restaurant was ok - but not great....were I ever to be back in the area I would stay again as it certainly wasnt bad and as a group we had no major complaints!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

Private beach, nice breakfast and dinner buffet, children pool and recreative activities. Nice for a family, and quite cheap too if you book early and online. However a bit boring for couples and limited diving activities. If you want to dive you MUST book it much in advance with the local Padi center. Even so we heard that the local dive spots are not so good with viz averaging 10m only. Therefore if diving is why you want to travel to Pangkor, dont go, you should rather visit another island farther North (eg Perenthian) or go to the East coast instead (check our review of Tioman island for more info). However, if you are looking for a relaxing time at a non-crowded beach with your family, then this might be the right spot for you.
By the way, the sea villas are thumbeling apart and it seems that not much renovation has been undertaken over the past few years, so if you want privacy you might want to take a regular villa instead, which are in better shape.

• Stayed April 2013
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

The other reviewers are all correct, but if you're going to Pangkor with kids and want a nice beach holiday on a MYR600/day budget this place is for you. The other options would be Pangkor Laut (only 1 child allowed in a room with 2 adults, expensive) or the guesthouses which aren't located on the beach.

Here the rooms are spacious and comfortable, lovely private beach, nice pools, billiards/table tennis/foosball area, kids corner, lots of wildlife (hornbills, peacocks and other birds, monkeys and a resident turtle). Yes the service is iffy, yes the food is not the greatest, yes they could upgrade the Garden Wing and invest in new towels, yes I was clawed by a crab in the sea swimming with rubbish, but all in all we had a great stay here.

The resort's ferry is convenient and will save you time and money- take it!

If they upgraded the rooms and improved the food and service, and if the Pangkor islanders would keep their island cleaner (or get a proper rubbish disposal system sorted out) we might return. As it is, we probably won't return because there are so many other resorts, islands and beaches in Malaysia that are better. On a last note, we had a bit of bad luck travelling up and down from Kuala Lumpur because it coincided with the last weekend of the holidays and we were stuck on the road 5 hours on Friday driving up and 6 hours on Sunday driving back. So never again!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013 via mobile

It was a brisk from the jetty at Lumut to the front desk at the hotel. Our bags were tagged from the Lumut jetty and it was sent straight to the rooms. At the lobby, we were given welcome drinks and I was delighted to know our rooms have been upgraded. So far so good.

Half an hour after checked in I went down to the recreation desks, excited to know how my kids and I can spend our time that afternoon. To my surprise, almost all of the activities were fully booked and it is the low season. We ended up paying super expensive water sports activities (jet ski, inflatable seats pulled by speed boat) operating at the hotel private beach. Within one hour, you can spend as much money as a one night stay in a deluxe room. The hotel have a beach volleyball but the net is hanging like a U shape. Other than that, there is nothing much to do especially for young children.

While waiting for me playing jet ski, my wife went to the monkey bar to ask for drinks. The kitchen staff who was there preparing the bbq pit told my wife to walk further to the restaurant to order. Even though the waitress at the bar went missing, the staff can simply pick up the phone and ask anyone from the restaurant to walk to my wife who was the customer and take her order because she is giving more business to the hotel! Soon after, I went searching for a beach chair but couldn find one which is clean from bird droppings. I had to walk 150m and back to pick up the cushion to cover the dirty beach chair, not even one hotel staff offer to carry them for me. The guy working at the recreation desk just sat and looked at me! Is this a four star hotel?

In short, the rooms are clean but old. The front desk are doing a very good job but they most failed a test when they refused to give me one of the welcome drink at the lobby when I asked for one. It a syrup with lemon.. Cheap. The location can be both good and bad. Good for those who want private secluded beach. Bad for those who want to avoid rm65++ hotel buffet. Service except for the front desk, need major overhaul.

• Stayed April 2013
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

This is the forth times I stayed in this resort and all the previous experience is good but not for the recent visit.

First, let's talk about the positive sign of this location,
1. Long private beach
2. Close to nature rainforest
3. Nice Family Pool.

Now we count the Negative points
1. Bad service from the moment you step into the resort as normal the resort is indicated the check-in time as 2.pm but we arrive at 2.15pm the room is still in cleaning process and we only able to check-in at 4.00pm. The front counter attitude is so unfriendly and rude.

2. As mentioned by the other traveller the room is tired and old (a thorough refurbishment is needed)

3. Undried smell on all the towels.

4. Very very rude and bad service in the restaurant and for a numerous times I need to carry the empty or used plate to the service counter even I passby few waitress but no help is offered. The worst ever experience within the resort.

5. Low quality of foods even with huge varieties of choice. I do agreed for a resort the indication of vegetarian foods will help for those vegan.

6. Beach is nice but not clean and maintain regularly.

7. No warning sign or flag is raise even though the sea with the dangerous marine life and with so unfortunate my son was strung by the jelly fish. (Special thanks to the recreation staff for the first aids treatment.)

8. No speed control for the fan in Ocean Wing whether you get a Maximum speed or you get it none.

9. Dusty and dirty room, even the bathroom is with unclean urine smell.

A nice location and can be a highend beach resort if the management taken a steep control into the service and provide intensive training to the staff. Ours previous experience and feeling toward the resort is totally lost after recent visit.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
DOSMPangkorIsland, General Manager at Pangkor Island Beach Resort, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
Dear Guest,
Greetings from Pangkor Island Beach Resort.
Thank you for taking your time to give us and TA readers your feedback.
I apologise for not being able to deliver your room at the moment you have arrived: as a resort on a island, during a high occupancy period and consequent bulk departure at 12.30 and bulk arrival of guests all on the same 13.45 ferry, we do have sometimes difficulty in turning around up to 200 rooms within such a short amount of time. This is why we organise a complimentary refreshment ion our air con lounge with snacks, tea/coffee and juices.
In your particular case, we have actually offered an upgrade to a higher category room that you have rejected because that room was twin bedded.
I take this opportunity that no hotel in the whole world can commit to either a king or twin bedded room, although taking the request during the booking process. This is for the abvious reason that with 50% rooms of each type, with the eventual 60% request for one type, someone could abviously end up being disappointed.
Your "stern" request to be complensated, was exeptionally fullfilled by giving for you and your whole family a complimentary dinner.
Frankly, I am surprised that you have omitted including this detail while mistaking rudness with the attempt to explain the international hotel policies.
Please do not judge the quality of food just based on the fact that you are vegetarian for which, course, the choice on a buffet would have the phisiological limitation, but at the same time we have a wide variety of vegetarian dishes proposed a' la carte and our chefs are also always available for special request.
We are not putting any signage of dangerous marine life because we do not have any dangerous marine life in our bay. The exeptional incident of a stray jelly fish, does not imply the necessitty of such deterrant warning to swim in some of the safest waters in south east asia.
The fan speed remote control is located on the left side of the bed, between the bed and the bed side table.
An incident in the underground trench provoked the temporary situation of smell coming through the bathroom drain, certainly this was not caused by the lack of cleanliness from our house keeping. Natuarlly, should you have highlighted your discomfort, we would have been happy to offer you an alternative.
We appreciate your returning habit to our little corner of paradise and I remain at your full disposition for your future booking enquiry to ensure that your next stay expectation will be totally fullfilled.

Kindest regards

Ermanno Cima Vivarelli

Been to Pangkor Island Beach Resort? Share your experiences!