“Decent place but on the expensive side.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Indulgence Living (and Restaurant)

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ipoh
Indulgence Living (and Restaurant)
You added Indulgence Living (and Restaurant) to your Saves list
14 Jalan Raja Di Hilir, Ipoh 30350, Malaysia   |
Ranked #12 of 45 Hotels in Ipoh
“Decent place but on the expensive side.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2012 via mobile

We popped in on our way from KL to Penang. Overall the place met our expectations which means, friendly staff, large and clean rooms, ok breakfast. I would say its a good place for a or night stay.

On the drawback: cost. Paying for a good place is not an issue but the money you drop here would get you 5 star pampering in most other Malaysian towns. And five stars it was not.

We did not have time to eat in the restaurant but my guess is that they had a restaurant and opened a hotel and not the other way around. Design rooms... Well I've seen better.

It's a decent place on the expensive side, that's it.

• Stayed June 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Boston, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2012

Stayed in the Italian room for 5 nights. The room was very nice and they provided slippers, bathrobe, etc. Shower was AWESOME, a rain shower. Nice and clean. Staff was friendly and accommodating. Food was good (not my favorite ever, but some dishes like the Sea bass special, were great. The lamb sausage pasta was disappointing). The kitchen made for me a breakfast of whatever I liked (mangos, yogurt, cheese, other fruits) so that was so nice.

The staff was able to call a taxi and a luxury car for me very quickly, whichever i preferred. The hotel is walking distance to the Ipoh Parade with restaurants and stores. A great experience.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2012 via mobile

First view as we drove up to the hotel was promising as the hotel is a lovely English colonial mansion. Unfortunately the interior and renovations did not do justice to the lovely building. The Beverly suite was confusing to my English husband who could not associate with the faux feel of room.

As for the food, it was a little off the mark. We found the quality of the breakfast sausage more mass market standard. The grilled mushroom was lovely though.

Overall not an experience we would repeat.

• Stayed March 2012
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2012

I visited this hotel since their guest room were so cute on their home page.
When I arrive the hotel, I was so happy. Everything is cuter than pictures. And staffs are very nice, and food are good. I really enjoyed this hotel.
If I have next chance to visit Ipoh, I will chose this hotel again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

Indulgence of the highest order in Malaysia.
This boutique hotel in the middle of Malaysia is stunning set in the grounds of an old colonial white painted house. Each room individual decorated with a different theme Country English, Indian, Chinese, Moroccan etc the chic style presentation and minute detail is down to the passion of the sole Owner and Chef patron Julie Song. An impressive Lady in her own right.

Malaysia's answer to a Michelin Celebrity Chef most defiantly, winning business woman of the year several times and a host of other accolades. Julie is a very talented & creative Chef who thinks out of the box with an ability to cook only surpassed by those she admirers in the West and in Australia.

We stayed at Ipoh Indulgence boutique hotel with its chic restaurant for 3 nights and the travelled to the island of Lankawi afterthen returning for another 2 nights before going on to KL.The food was sublime with fusions of modern European food & Asian Styles, the ingredients a challenge to obtain alone. Her staff are happy and obliging the service attentive and the hotel and downstairs restaurant that seats about 80 covers plus was buzzing with the chitter chatter of guests all ages tacking in the trendy relaxed Café Del Mear Style atmosphere of Indulgence & sophistication. The Restaurant is closed on Monday & Tuesday (But Not The Hotel) This is when Julie manages her delicatessens called Allegra another new project she is developing. Julie Song heads her own kitchen, cooks and bakes of the bread and the cakes for both businesses then trains her & motivates her team of hand picked Chefs each as focused as herself. We cannot wait to return. I take my hat off to this Lady.

We cannot recommend this experience enough to anyone travelling through this lovely country.

Room Tip: www.indulgencerestaurant.com Any thing you want can be arranged for you all you need to do is ask
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2012

Ipoh is my hometown and each time I return it's local hawker food for me for which Ipoh is famed. This time, however, because it was my husband's birthday I checked us into Indulgence as a treat for him especially as we had heard so much about Julie Song's much-vaunted culinary skills. They could only accommodate us for that one Monday night when we had wanted two, which was just as well because when we arrived, we found to our dismay and shock, that the restaurant was closed! No wonder they had a "closed" sign at the entrance which I obligingly turned around for them to "Open" thinking they had made a mistake. Whilst the hotel was operational, we learnt from Amrit, the front office manager that the restaurant closes on Mondays and Tuesdays. We had not been made aware of this when we made our booking, nor was it carried in the confirmation email we received. Neither was their website accessible when we were looking at booking the hotel (and it continued to be so even after we had told them over the phone), so we were completely in the dark about the restaurant closure until our arrival. I guess regulars would know about this practice, and probably because of this, only 3 of the 7 rooms were occupied that night that we were there.

We had opted for the Chinoiserie room, charmingly named May Suet, and it was authentically and tastefully decorated although I found it too dark for my liking. There is no doubting Julie's aesthetic eye not just in the individually-themed rooms, but also the living areas, making it a hotel with character. However, with the restaurant closed, and only one staff (besides the cleaner) doubling up as front-desk manager and valet, the whole place had a desolate feel about it. We had invited guests to join us for tea and supper there, which plans we had to adjust accordingly. Because of the heavy rains that afternoon, we decided to stay put for tea with the couple we had invited, even if it meant literally just tea and a couple of cookies, thanks to Amrit who obligingly laid a table for us in the restaurant.

We did get to enjoy the breakfast there, with good coffee, freshly-squeezed juice and choices which were quite original and creatively presented. I did wish, however, that they had a local fusion item on offer.

To my mind, Indulgence is more of a restaurant with rooms attached to it, not a hotel which happens to boast of a fine dining restaurant. There is a difference, and the difference is that you make sure you go there to stay only when the restaurant is operational because it is the restaurant that makes the hotel.

Room Tip: All the rooms are individually themed so they each would have their own character. You would want...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Melrose Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2012

Great food, immaculate themed rooms and a truly indulgent experience

Room Tip: All rooms different themes, we had the Chinese room, our friends the contemporary both were excellen...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Indulgence Living (and Restaurant)? Share your experiences!