“Bangkok hostels are cleaner” 1 of 5 stars

Hotel Excelsior Ipoh
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   43 Jalan Sultan Abdul Jalil, Ipoh 30300 , Malaysia   |
Ranked #38 of 46 Hotels in Ipoh
Reigate
“Bangkok hostels are cleaner”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

Booked last minute (30min before arriving) as we were not planning to stay in Ipoh for the night nor know the city well. The staff could have been a little more pleasant, but nevertheless, the only enjoyable part of the short stay was to count the number of guests who recently had stayed in our room. This could easily be done by noting all the different lengths of hair and colours in the room and bathroom. Smelly and dirty is the best way to describe this property. PLEASE DO NOT STAY HERE!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Singapore, Singapore
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

I stayed at the Hotel Excelsior Ipoh with a group of 20 friends recently and I have to say that the conditions could be improved on. The hotel itself is quite old so it is not as sound proof as you might like. If the room next door moves around, certain noises can be heard, especially if the room next door is packing their luggage.

My worse experience was at night close to midnight (around 11.45pm) when the toilet stopped functioning. I called the reception to report the fault and maintenance was sent up right away. The receptionist was rude and just told me to 'wait there', definitely poorly handled. I will say that the speed in which maintenance arrived at my room was a plus. He reached within 5 minutes of placing the call (I was not timing this, it just happened very quickly) After approximately 20 minutes of trying, he told me there was nothing further he could do than to wait till tomorrow and ask a plumber to come in. He requested to change rooms as a solution.

Once again, I had to call the reception which put me on hold again as they needed to confirm with maintenance that there was indeed nothing that could be done. Continuously rude, I held my breath to half expect them to say they will send up another repair man. (I mean, I wouldn't be asking to change rooms unless your maintenance people told me there was no way they could fix it. Plus I had updated you on the situation before requesting to change rooms)

I was eventually moved across the hallway from my room with no help from the staff. Another hotel in Malaysia was very kind when I had to change rooms and the staff gladly helped me to move my belongings quickly as it was midnight and they wanted to ensure that I could get to bed as quickly as possible. I was tired from a whole day of activities but still had to move my friend's belongings as well as my own. Terrible service as the only service I got was when the service staff came up to retrieve my previous room key and issue me my new room key before quickly rushing off for a smoke break.

I'd also advise against the breakfast in this hotel. The selection is not very wide and not very flavorful. I had heard from several of my other friends that they suffered from a tummy ache a few hours after consuming the hotel breakfast. My advise, take a short walk to a coffee shop behind the hotel and try their Wanton Mee there, its much better tasting.

All in all, I would not stay in this hotel again unless I had to. Terrible service and renovations needed to be done if this hotel wishes to stay current in the tourism industry.

Room Tip: Rooms ending with odd numbers seem to have been better taken care of.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Jurong, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

I was staying at this hotel on 10 November 2012 when joined a tour group and noticed that nothing changed since my last stay 2 years ago. Though the room are spacious but the toilet was terrible, bathtub and washing basin without stopper and toilet flash are not powerful. The room aircon control is so wear out that the turning nob hard time adjusting. The bed are shaky that my roommate almost lost her balance and blanket are so old.

Room Tip: Choose rooms at lower floor between 7th to 10th floor.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012 via mobile

In the heart of Ipoh. I stayed there with my family. They have no limit of the children that could stay in the room. The receptionist was very friendly and the room service was fast. I stayed in the 11 th floor.walking distance to various eateries. Overall I will come back again.

• Stayed November 2012
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012 via mobile

After trying out the other hotel down the street, I decided to try out this cheaper but more well established hotel, based on reviews I have read. What a disaster! The room were run down and the corridors has a funny smell to them. Bed was sunk in and had a sore back the next morning. Breakfast was barely passable, dulang cafe totally i dont like the band its quite look over perfomance. Definitely to be avoided in the future!

• Stayed November 2011
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

4 of us spent one night recently . found it reasonable for the price we paid. the location is great with many eating places ( except old town area) within easy walking distance away. the breakfast last year was not impressive so we did not bother this time. i was surprised to find that the speed of wifi in rooms was very fast !! another good point of this hotel is that there is a hotel car park within the hotel and is free for guests.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Selangor
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

The towels were old and torn. Couldn't control the temperature of the aircon as the control knob was not functioning. Quilt is too thin and size of bedsheet was a bit small for the bed. I do not know how much the room rate was as it was a group tour and booking was done by the organiser.
Breakfast - not much variety. I did not have problem during shower but my friend did. Ran out of hot water half way bathing and she ended up bathing with freezing cold water at night !
I just stayed for 1 night thus can't comment much.

Room Tip: Checked on-line for reviews before booking hotel room.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Excelsior Ipoh? Share your experiences!