“Pleasantly Suprised” 4 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Tower Regency Hotel to your Saves list
and 1 more site!
Tower Regency Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   6 - 8 Jalan Dato' Seri Ahmad Said | Greentown, Ipoh 30450, Malaysia   |
Ranked #27 of 44 hotels in Ipoh
bendigo
“Pleasantly Suprised”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

We were pleasantly suprised with the Tower Regency. I had some concerns when I booked due to some of the reviews however found the hotel very good. We were in a 2 bedroom apartment. The apartments were spacious and clean and beds very comfortable. The staff were very friendly and helpful at all times. The buffet breakfast was decent. The location was great and handy to everything. Delicious Indian restaurant across the road from the hotel. Overall I am very glad we picked this hotel!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

132 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Indonesian first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

This hotel located in city centre. Easy to walk around and near shopping centre. Just 15minutes drive to Lost World of Tambun. If you look for 3* hotel, this is the right hotel for you to stay. If you look for 4* hotel, go ahead with Impiana Hotel. But I prefer Tower Regency because the rate cheaper & worth stay. Their buffet breakfast got many choices compare to others hotel in Ipoh. Every time I visit Ipoh, I will stay here.

Room Tip: my preferred room - Regency studio apartment (2rooms with bathtub & standing shower) 1queen bed...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Jonesboro, Arkansas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012

If you're looking for a typical southeast Asian hotel with sub-par service, crappy food, and mediocre rooms, this is the place for you. If you're looking for a decent hotel that's up to international standards, try the Impiana Hotel instead.

I've stayed at the Tower Regency before and have even made the mistake of sending some colleagues there. Everyone has had lousy experiences or issues with hotel management. There are no soundproofing in the rooms so good luck getting a decent nights sleep. The staff in general seem to not care about their own jobs let alone the experience of their customers. The gym is locked half of the time and takes a divine intervention to get it opened. The restaurant is so-so, if you do stay here, walk across the street and you'll find restaurants with much better food and service.

Room Tip: Pick a different hotel!
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Melaka, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012

My visit here was actually to attend my father closed friend daughter wedding. We had a very bad experience on our travelling, first, because we had to face a very bad traffic from KL to Ipoh. From KL we depart at 10.30 and estimated time arrival is at 1.00 pm (the worst case) but unfortunately we need to wait until 3.45 pm to reached Ipoh. Next, upon reaching Simpang Pulai, which suppose to be very near with the wedding place (10km), again we stuck in traffic with the travellers going to Cameron Highlands, at last we reached the place at 4.30 pm. All the guest has already went back and the caterer are packing up their things, yet we are lucky because my father friend had reserve us with an adequate foods for 8 nos, so that will relieve a bit on our disasterous trip to Ipoh.
Then, we straight went to the Tower Regency hotel to check-in as I promise to the operator to be there before 6 pm. We check-in and given our apartment room key. Actually at that point of time, I was afraid that the room will not as per my expectation as there is a lot of comment regarding on the cleaniness of the room and bed. We entered the room at 15th floor, we can see the sliding door was waiting for us with beautiful scenario of Ipoh town. Well, that one of the good therapy for relieving the tense. I check both bedroom and the bathroom, well for me, it is clean and tidy. I'm satisfy with the room, all my family also give a good response for the hotel.
But there is one incident that make me a bit dissapointed, I ask for the prayer mat upon check-in and the receptionist has called the housekeeping to send the mat, but i need to wait about 30 minutes to get it and after i went down to the receptionist then they send it to us. That is the only thing that upset me. The Breakfast provided was good & tasty. i am not a "breakfast person" so i think a cup of tea & a sandwich should be ok with me. But the rest of my family give a good response to the breakfast. It was our local dish such as Nasi Lemak, Fried Noodle, Noodle Soup, Bread and butter, egg on toast, 'Telur Mata Kerbau' and etc.
Anyway, it is fine for us to come again to this hotel in our next visit. I will recommend this hotel to those who are with a economy budget and need a spacious room. Please choose this hotel apartment room as it can accomodate at least 6-7 adults with additional bed easily
Thanks.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2012

The only thing nice I can really say about this hotel is the location is good. It's walking distance to the town center. Everything else is poor. I checked in with 2 colleagues on the 2nd of May 2012. At first they couldn't locate our booking. They eventually located it (their system only registered the mobile number of the person who made the booking and not his name) only to be told that their apartments were under maintenance and they were not sure if we had rooms. After 15 minutes we were finally checked in and given our room keys. To our surprise the floor where we were assigned had paint cans all over the hallway. Clearly they were renovating and they were letting people stay in the wings which had renovations ongoing. We had a 2 bedroom apartment. The rooms were spacious enough but it was obvious that renovation was not yet done. We could still smell the paint in the rooms and the flooring were still riddled with paint dust. The bathrooms had connecting doors and the shower head was so low I needed to kneel in order to use it (mind you I am only 5'2"). In the hallway, one will find an iron and ironing board for use of the guests. They stapled it to the wall. So if you need to iron your clothes you need to do it in the middle of the hallway just off the lift.

The apartment wing had no wifi (even though their website claims they have). And when we complained that we only had one aircon remote control for the entire apartment, housekeeping insisted that it was the rule. How do you then control the thermostat in all the rooms when there is only one remote control? Housekeeping even hung up on my colleague when he was complaining. After threatening the manager that we would check out right there and then, they finally sent us an extra aircon remote.

The walls are so thin you can hear the next door apartment. So at 5am I was woken up by people arguing next door. The hotel looked nice from the outside but clearly the people who run it doesnt know how to run a hotel. They charge near KL rates yet their service is really lousy.

I wouldn't recommend this hotel at all.

Room Tip: The apartment wings doesnt have wifi
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2012

My home town is Ipoh.Two years ago ( December 2009, ignore the select that i had to make)some 40 of us all came back to celebrate my sister's 70th birthday. We booked many rooms in this, at that time a new hotel and thought it would be good.My children's room, when it rained one evening, the water simply POURED into the room via the window and soaked the floor, so that they had to move rooms. The rooms are basic, and looked unfinished. Service was not there- walls were thin.

Well in Ipoh there are not many good palatable hotels and the problem is that they do not attend to the up keep.

Room Tip: some rooms have a pillar at the entrance when you go in!!
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Ipoh
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2012

Since I'm local, I used to drop by for hi-tea because I enjoy the view from the 6th floor cafe. As for the food, it was quite palatable. So, when I came across their seafood promotion poster in January, I decided to give it a try. I went alone on 4/2/12. The menu choice was excellent. To name a few, thumbs up for the seafood platters (fresh prawns, crabs, oysters); sweet and sour fish, seafood porridge, seafood mixed soup, bread & butter pudding and lastly, fruit tarts. Since the food was good enough to be worthy of recommendation, I managed to persuade my three friends (why? they are generally sceptical about hotel's food and I hope to change their mind) to join me for another lunch on 7/2/12. Am I disappointed ! The menu choice didn't fit the theme. On top of that, I'm not sure if the chef was having a bad day, but the food was unappealing and unappetizing. Some of the dishes were bland. One of my friends joked that we have gone aboard "pirate ship" (cantonese sayings). In fact, they were quite mad at me. Guess I'm on a solo food quest again in future !!

Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Tower Regency Hotel? Share your experiences!