“Rather good hotel…” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 46 Hotels in Ipoh
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Rather good hotel…”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

I booked this hotel pretty last minute just for an overnight stay, so I didn’t check thru all the reviews. Instead, I just picked the hotel based on the ranking in TripAdvisor. I arrived at the hotel pretty late in the night so check in was hassle free. However, the hotel does not have its own parking. The security guard was kind enough to inform me that the local council is pretty vigilant in issuing parking summonses and advised me to park at the designated car park, of which the parking ticket was paid for by the hotel. The open space car park was about 50m from the hotel, besides a snooker club, and it is poorly lit… not exactly a walk in the park in the middle of the night if you get what I mean.

I checked into a superior room and I was very pleased with it. The room was very spacious and everything seems pretty new and tastefully decorated, the bathroom particularly impressive with a rain shower and up-market tile works and bathroom ware. The shower area is half-covered so you’re gonna get wet floor after a shower. Even though there was no window to the room, I did not feel confined, probably because of the high ceiling. There was no mini fridge in the room, but there is a 24-hour convenient store just right next to the hotel. The bed was comfortable and the in-room WiFi was pretty good. Oh by the way, this is a non-smoking hotel so you smokers will have to go out of the hotel lobby for a puff.

The hotel is situated right in the town center of Ipoh, and being familiar with all the good food one can get around Ipoh, I wasn’t really looking forward to the breakfast provided by the hotel. But since it was already included in the room rate, I thought I’d just oblige with the American breakfast I had chosen while checking in. Therein lies the pleasant surprise of the Jose & Deli café. The food was not bad, but it was the artsy décor and rustic ambience that really sets it apart and provided a fine dining experience. Even if you are not staying in the hotel, you should visit it for a cup of coffee or tea as these places seem to be the in thing nowadays in Ipoh.

Well, I have to say that I was quite impressed with the overall quality of the hotel and I would definitely stay here again should I have another business trip in town.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
  • Indonesian first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1,758 reviews 1,758 reviews
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

Note: I didn't stay in this hotel. I'm rating the staff (young Indian woman).
During our search for hotels we noticed that French hotel had a map with some info about food street. Later we returned there (unfortunately we couldn't stay because it was over our budget) to check it. We were feeling shy because we weren't guests there. But a young Indian woman was very kind with us. She offered her help and gave us lots of useful info about street food. Thanks to her we had an amazing food experience in Ipoh.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Florida, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

The parking is so far from the hotel, and walk to the hotel make me feel unsecured. The hotel room itself is fine. Coffee house by Josephine was very bad, the breakfast served ala carte is a desaster! Somemore i had to wait more than an hours for the food. The waiters have no idea what is in the menu, very bad knownledge. I checked in on a Sunday as I had an appointment on Monday morning. Too many people hanging around the area on a Sunday made me feel uncomfortable. Will choose other hotel next time.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
KennChah, General Manager at Ipoh French Hotel, responded to this review, June 29, 2013
Dear valued guest from Florida,

We sincerely appreciate your comments and rating. We would like to apologize the conditions you experienced during your stay. With that being mentioned, we would like to inform you that our parking lot is secured for 24 hours by security officers. Besides that, our cafe is under different management but we will make it a point to inform the cafe management to improve their services especially in terms of service by staff. Please be informed that there is a morning market in the vicinity of our hotel every Sunday morning. It is the biggest morning bazaar in Ipoh city along the Memory Lane and thus the people around the area at that time. We hope to make you feel more comfortable by improving our services in the time to come. Thank you for your patronage. Good day.

Kenn Chah
Hotel Manager
Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

We booked a night stay with King sized bed for RM138, even though there isn't any window to the room, we are not quite bothered by it. We love the room because its spacious and clean. The receptionist was very friendly and helpful, they even print for us a food trail map!

We enjoyed our stay there and will definitely recommend this hotel to my friends! Furthermore the hotel is within walking distance to all the food stalls and cafes we want to visit!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

My family stayed 2 nights at this hotel and it was a wonderful experience.

We were totally satisfied with the room and service rendered by the hotel staff. The room though small, was clean and quiet. The bathroom was clean and of a good size, with a rain shower in the standing shower. We had a super extra king bed and it was huge enough to accommodate all of us without having to add an extra bed.

The breakfast was nothing to shout about but it was good and substantial. They were also flexible enough to allow us to have the second day's free breakfast brough forward to the first morning so that my whole family could have a day's breakfast together instead of having breakfast only for 2 persons on 2 separate days. The cafe in which the breakfast was served was an interesting and cozy place.

They also had tickets to the Lost World of Tambun on sale at a discount but however, they were short of 1 adult ticket for us.

Parking was a short 2 min walk away, so convenient.

Many recommended restaurants and shops are only a short walk away from the hotel so the location of French Hotel was very good.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

Travelling by coach from Singapore to Ipoh, I alighted at Jalan Raja Bendahara and took a short 10-min taxi ride and arrived at the Ipoh French Hotel or iFH in short. The fare is MYR5, but costs about three times more if you arrive during the early morning hours.

iFH is a boutique style property, given a refurbishment recently last year. It is situated in the new town of Ipoh and within a 10-15 mins walking distance to the various famous food eateries of Ipoh. For first timers to Ipoh, the hotel is very thoughtful to provide an informative food map for the guests. So remember to request for a copy from the Front Desk upon your arrival. Travelling from the hotel to the old town to visit the historical sights and sample the best Ipoh White Coffee there (Hence the name Old Town White Coffee) is also a manageable 20 mins walk. Alternatively, you can zip around town in a taxi, which costs about MYR6. Besides food, the main tourist attractions of Ipoh are the cave temples as well as Sunway's Lost World of Tambun, which are all between 15 to 20 mins ride by car from iFH. I booked a taxi to bring me around the cave temples at MYR30 an hour, while the Lost World of Tambun costs MYR20 for a one way trip there. If you need a driver, the Front Desk Staff can also arrange one for you.

I had reserved a Deluxe Extra King Room (Room No. 304) which can accommodate a family of 2 adults and 1 child and in fact, it is even large enough for 3 adults to be able to sleep comfortably. Among the budget/ boutique category hotels I had stayed, this comes with one of the best beds ever! Clean, soft and luxurious sheets ensured a comfortable sleep throughout my 2-night stay. The bathroom also has one of the most spacious showering areas I had ever seen. After a hot day out, step in to relax and refresh yourself under the cooling waters of its rain shower. That said, there is however an issue, involving the wash basin tap. It is rather hard to manage the water flow, given its strong water pressure and you will get splashes if you flap the tap switch up too fast. So you probably have to try it a few times, at the cost of wasting water, in order to get the flow right. Perhaps the hotel could look into reducing the water pressure and this could inadvertently helped save water in the long run, resulting in cost savings for the hotel.

Complimentary Wi-Fi is available in the room and works efficiently. Security in the hotel is evident as I see staff stationed and seated in the lobby area during the afternoon and night. So guests will feel assured staying in this hotel.

On the first level of iFH is a chic looking cafe called Jose & Deli. Breakfast is served there and guests are offered a choice of either American Breakfast Set, Local Set (Nasi Lemak) or Cereals Set. The portions are not large, but it doesn't matter since you now have an excuse to head out to enjoy a second round of breakfast delicacies in the nearby Dim Sum Street. For those who do not want to venture too far out for breakfast, here's a tip - Right opposite the hotel is an alley, which will bring you out to Jalan Raja Musa Aziz, where you see some local coffee shops selling the best of Ipoh delicacies, like Curry Mee and 'Zi Char' (Home-style cuisine). These gems tucked away in the little corners of the streets might not be well known among tourists, but like they said, do what the Ipohans do, eat what the Ipohans eat! And I believed that's where some of the best food are found. The cafe, Jose & Deli also serves a rather decent lunch menu and I pretty enjoyed it on the first day of my stay there.

Come every Sunday morning, flea market sellers will set up and hawk their wares in Memory Lane, which is about 5 mins walk from the hotel. What's interesting is that the stalls stretches all the way to the alley beside the hotel, where you can indulge in the wonderful sights of vintage stuff and the chattering sounds between the sellers and the buyers.

One of the things that make iFH a rather memorable stay is its staff, who can engage well with guests. Most importantly, the rooms are kept in a spick and span condition and every morning, I will always see an elderly cleaning staff doing her rounds keeping the hotel areas (Lobby area, lobby restrooms and surprisingly, even the shinning mirrors inside the lift) in a pristine good condition.

iFH is like a 'home away from home' and I must say it is a good value for money accommodation that won't fail your expectations. The ratings had already said it all.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013 via mobile

Last minutes walk in to book this hotel for one night. We take a deluxe super king bedroom for 3 adults. The price is reasonable. The room have super king size bed can sleep for 3 adults or 2 adults 2 little children. There is a LCD tv in the room. Toilet is big, clean. And I love the shower's room sprinkler. Overall the room and toilet is clean, cozy and new. Location is strategic. We very satisfied with the hotel. Will come again!

Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Ipoh French Hotel? Share your experiences!