“Mosquitoes infested chalets due to water stagnation in the toileys” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Roots

You added The Roots to your Saves list
The Roots
Batu 10 1/2 Mile Jalan Chemor | Tanjong Rambutan, 31250, Malaysia   |
Ranked #9 of 156 Perak B&B and Inns
Kuala Lumpur, Wilayah Persekutuan, Malaysia
“Mosquitoes infested chalets due to water stagnation in the toileys”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013 via mobile

Resort suffers from a very serious mosquitoes infestation problem. The main cause is probably due to lack of waste water outlets in the shower area. The floor of the toilet/shower area is covered with pebbles. Without any water outlets, waste water from one's shower will stagnate on the floor of pebbles. Over time, these pools of stagnant water will become rich mosquitoes breeding grounds. Highly recommended that potential guests bring along an effective mosquitoes repellent during their stay in this 'resort'!!

• Stayed September 2013

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

One night is barely enough to describe our experience staying here. For one, getting here is easy with Waze. Just look up for The Roots and you're all set to go, located along the trunk road passing by Tanjung Rambutan and set against the breathtaking view of Mount Korbu, known as the second highest mountain in the peninsular. Don't worry about petrol or convenience stores like we did, as we found out that as remote as it looks, quite a handful of them are available within the vicinity so it's a good idea to have your personal mode of transport to get around places and explore. ;)

Like other reviews have mentioned, call up the office once arrived to be let into The Roots. Once in, you'll be greeted by Ms. Meena, a warm friendly lady who loves to share with you everything you'd like to know about the eco-resort and her faithful companion Doberman, Quentin, with specialty in ssssnake hunting! No kidding. There's also Vodka the sheepish cat, only to be spotted upon our check-out the next day.

Anyway, both Ms. Meena and Quentin will be happy to show you the way to your stay and that's when you'll experience a somewhat time zone difference. The place is serenely quiet except for the cheering sound of robins and ecstatic squirrels, occasional breeze from the humid afternoon and the steady flow of Kinta river next to the resort. Having stayed at a similar backdrop during my younger days I was able to relive those precious moments that I missed then, and The Roots reminded me again on how good it feels, to be this close to nature.

The Roots is rooted on an orchard farm where tropical fruits such as durians, rambutans and mangosteen are abundant, and free! Well, only if you arrive at the right season that is. The trees were only about to flower when we arrive so TIP: make your way here around December this year to enjoy the fruit feast. ;) It's hard to imagine that the place was, according to Ms. Meena, crowded with big groups just a week ago (up to 60 pax!) due to the long holidays, so I guess if your intention is to have a nice little retreat, to get away from noise other than the sound of crickets accompanying your sleep at night, choose a random weekend stay for best experience.

We were given the spacious Orchard Villa, which can accommodate up to 4 people or a small family; a queen-sized bed and a bunk bed on the side. Everything you see (with the rest of Villas we believed) are built from scratch, hand constructed using wood-bamboo variety with minimalistic design in mind i.e. the wooden towel rack installed on the side of the bunk bed. There is A/C, a ceiling fan with dim lights, shelf to place your belongings, towels, toilet rolls, even a safe and a cooling fridge! That's something I wouldn't thought of since I told my husband prior to our journey that there wouldn't be a TV in the room.

I know the best part for many would be the jacuzzi tub right outside of your villa but for me, the semi open-air bathroom space enclosed by brick and bamboos and pebble flooring is my favourite. There's ample lighting for toilet trips at night, power hot shower and the toilet flush is working. The facilities are pretty basic but works better than what I had expected, given the rustic condition of the place. Be sure to keep your windows and doors closed at all times to minimise the number of 'uninvited guests' into the room... mosquitoes of course! Keep your sprays and repellents handy if you're not too keen on their presence.

Besides hanging out in the jacuzzi, you could try the swimming pool or watch time goes by from the Kinta river bank. There's a bar by the pool that seems to cater for huge BBQ session, a sand pit for children and a volleyball sand court, not forgetting to mention the variety of birds and peasants roaming freely. Ms Meena briefly mentioned that just the other day some otters have decided to drop by for a swim only to be scared off by the over-friendly Quentin. And squirrels that have made their love nest at one of the tree tops. Things like this, that I wish I could have stayed longer to witness. There are many things to see, if you look closely.

Perhaps a little too bad is that we didn't stay on for dinner as we were out to town to run errands and even missed our breakfast (inclusive of stay) the next day (we oversnoozed!) but foods shouldn't be too much of a concern if you're one with simplicity which I'm sure The Roots would be willing to accommodate. I would love to come back someday and share the beauty of this charming place.

So the grass is indeed greener here. I wouldn't have known that such beautiful place exists in the quiet town of Ipoh if it weren't for a deal site but, never too late, right?

Your turn now. :)

Room Tip: Orchard villa is good enough for a small family of 4.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Seremban, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

its a great place to stay especially if you like the quiet place. There is a river beside, you may just sitting there doing nothing. When it comes to the fruit season, you may just enjoy plucking the fruits there. At the moment, its the flowering season. The attentive staff with sincere smile makes you feel so warm. The room is fantastic. If you love nature, you will love the place. Its amazing. The food prepared by the staff is great as well. Though you have to wait for a little while, it's worth for that.. There prepared that with their sincere heart.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

We have been looking to getaway for a couple of days from the city and finally decided on The Roots. A short 2 hours drive from Kuala Lumpur and the opportunity to sneak into Ipoh for the fabulous food made the choice easy to make. The facilities were basic but sufficient for us. I would not confuse the concept of a eco-friendly resort in its strict sense and The Roots' concept of 'simplistic and near to nature' type of hotel. I suppose it met our requirements this time around as we sat and idle time away to the sounds of birds, river and silence. Time just slipped by quietly along with the turning of the pages of the long-purchased book which I finally had the chance to read! Food was acceptable in quality and variety. If you needed anything more Ipoh city is just 20 minutes drive out. Recommended for those seeking peace and quiet and less demanding. I would suggest avoiding school holidays and weekends.

Room Tip: ask for the houses facing the river and enjoy the sound of the nature.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Kuala Lumpur
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

After months of reading up on eco-boutique resorts, I caved. I somehow convinced my city-slicker of a husband to spend 2 nights at The Roots with our 2-year-old. I have to admit we have mixed feelings about this place.

Firstly, the rooms were too basic. I understand the need to keep its natural feel, but I'm pretty sure even the most rustic place in Ipoh/Tanjung Rambutan should have a TV set with cable. This does not, and you guessed it, my boys ran out of activities by the end of the first day. So, we had to go out and explore Ipoh (Tambun Sai Cave Temple, Kek Lok Thong Cave/Lake Temple, local vegetarian cuisine, visit relatives etc), which I felt was awesome anyway.

The resort comes with a lovely pool, and baby enjoyed both days of swimming. Our room (we were bumped up from Orchard Deluxe to Honeymoon Suite because of some rotten stairs) was lovely. Baby had his baths out in the jacuzzi everyday, facing the river and stud farm. We had ours in the open concept bathroom which was minimal in amenity.

My fondest memory of the place is the serene, nature-rich surrounding which reminded me of my childhood growing up in a house on stilts, fruit trees and animals filling the compound. My husband however, being the Bangsar boy he is, found it too bare for comfort. The symphony of crickets, toads, clucking of chicken and turkey made it even more real for me.

Breakfast is basic but fulfilling. We had ala carte lunch there when we arrived because baby was hungry and we didn't know Ipoh too well to just drive to a vegetarian restaurant. It was pricey, even for KL standards, but hey, we were on a holiday! Grub was good.

The management was very friendly and always ready to assist. Owner, Meena, is a pleasant lady, polite and humble. They have a Doberman who guards the place and is on loose 24/7 but is such a loving being that my Little One immediately found a companion in him.

Room Tip: For families of 4, the Orchard rooms with bunk beds are best.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

We stayed here for one nite just to have the memory of kampung lifestyle.. It did rejuvenate our souls and the kids loved it!
We took the river villa and of course, the view was facing kinta river n Mountain Korbu.. The sound of river flowing did helps us slept like a baby..

• Stayed August 2013
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

Love this place! Quiet and a good place to retreat after busy life in city. The place quite far away from town area. The owner and the staff are superb nice.
The villas are built in cabin style. Wooden flooring and the wall were made from bamboo! Oh yeah! The open concept bathroom! It was kinda arkward at first but I really like it a lot after got used to it. And the best thing is the air-conditioning in the cabin!

The room is generally clean and there's a jacuzzi in the Orchard Villa. And a swimming pool for both kids and adults with some deck chairs if you into sunbathing. There are also some birds there. Parrots and some turkeys! And a big dog- Quentin, the big Doberman.
The breakfast is simple and yet delicious. Love the nasi lemak (^^)

Overall, the place is nice and quite. I will visit it again in near future :)

Room Tip: Try to get the villa at the back of compound and avoid the villas in the front coz it will be a bit...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Been to The Roots? Share your experiences!