“Cheap and cheerful” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Villa Cherating

Agoda.com Booking.com
Holiday Villa Cherating
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   Lot 1303, Mukim Sungai Karang, Cherating, Kuantan 26080, Malaysia   |
Ranked #12 of 39 hotels in Kuantan
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Cheap and cheerful”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

You get what you pay for with this hotel.

It is one of the cheaper hotels in the area but the rooms were clean, with all the amenities that you need, the gardens and pool areas are very nice and it is set on a beautiful stretch of beach.

The service was ok, we only ate in the resort once which was also just ok.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
HVCherating, General Manager at Holiday Villa Cherating, responded to this review, November 29, 2013
Dear dnb078,

Thank you for taking the time to give your feedback with regards to your last stay with us.
It is much appreciated. We are glad you found the resort clean and comfortable.
We are constantly trying to improve our software as well as our hardware and feedback from our valued guests such as yourself enables me to gauge areas for improvement where needed.
Please contact me directly should your travels bring you back this way and I will be pleased to ensure your expectations of the resort are met , better still exceeded.

We hope to welcome you back soon.

Regards,

171 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Selangor
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

This is first time I'm writing on this facebook.I am a traveller and
book a holiday in Cherating Holiday Villa by Agoda.Price is worth the treatment we got.Beatiful hotel with great service to me and my girlfriend .It is surprise for my girl and when I tell the hotel about it all the staff help to make it memorable one including the Generel Manager who bought a cake and decorate the room.Also there was a nice candle light dinner at the beach 'under the star'.
We are gone for the firefly tour and it is very romantic .The hotel is clean and is good service.Nice garden and the food is fine.A lot if big breakfast and hope to return soon.I can do my fishing while my girl sleep at the beach.All staff is helpful and even gave us coconut drink when saw us at the beach resting.It is just the same like Bali.
Thank you Holiday Villa, I asked my girlfriend for marriage and the answer is YES.
I will come back.Thank you to all to make all possible.I am happy.
I recommend .

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Lcvivi,

Thank you for your kind feedback with regards to your last stay with us. It is indeed a pleasure to have a happy customer and it gives us the motivation to excell even further and exceed our guests expectations.
Congratulations on the good news. We wish you all the best and are glad we played a role in getting your wonderful reply.
We hope to welcome you back here at Holiday Villa Cherating in the near future.

Regards,

Kuala Lumpur
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

We've stayed at this hotel before about a year ago. The lobby looked different this time and had a bit more freshness to it, which was lacking before.

Overall we had a wonderful stay here. Check-in was smooth although it was a bit crowded. Nice touch to put out cold drinks and cookies for the waiting guests. Resort is kept clean and landscaping is beautiful. The restaurant had a good menu. Was truly amazed by the firefly tour!

Although everything in the room was in working order, some refurbishment is needed. Beautiful property nonetheless with potential of being great. We took the villa chalets which was surrounded by really nice greenery. Staff are friendly but does not exceed expectations. I suppose a bit more training is needed.

Entrance to hotel needs a bit of work. Road a bit worn down. Good swimming pools and good room service. I had a problem with my laptop and the Manager attended to me at 11pm. Also good to see management presence throughout the day. Good karaoke facility to pass time.

Beware of jellyfish....saw someone get stung but the hotel staff attended to it professionally.Tip given: lemon and vinegar!

Overall good hotel and had a memorable holiday. Will definitely return!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
HVCherating, General Manager at Holiday Villa Cherating, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
Dear fuelgauge,

Thank you for taking the time to give your valueable feedback pertaining to your recent stay with us here at Holiday Villa Cherating. It is appreciated and enables me to identify areas that need improvement.
We are constantly trying to uplift services and the goal is to exceed expectations and feedback such as yours enables us to do so.

Thank you for the kind words regarding our service and friendliness.It was our pleasure serving you.

We look forward to welcoming you back here in the near future.

Kind regards,

4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

Checked in Friday for the weekend. Resort looked a little run down in certain areas in front especially the entrance road which needs some upgrade. Check in was acceptable. Nice to have porters there to welcome you and assist with bags. Reception staff although nice and sweet need some English training. they seemed having difficulty conversing. There was a gentleman there who was around in the lobby who assisted in our needs. It was a pleasure to be entertained by the resort manager. You don't see this much these days.
Room was explained quite well. No telephone in the room as there was a lightning problem that blew something up.
Beach is beautiful and sorroundings are nice and clean, its nice to see the gardeners pruning away and housekeeping staff(all girls) chirpily chatting away and politely wishing us when we pass. We have been to 2 other resorts in Cherating and this was definitely missing. Good work on staff being motivated.We stayed in the deluxe rooms.
Breakfast was buffet. Being European I felt the balance between local and western items was sufficient. It was value for money. Although I didn't quite accustom myself to the odd coffee served, there was no problem getting a brewed cup when asked for one.
There is an extensive order menu throughout the day and I must recommend the Lamb Chops and the Fried noodles.
One thing that was lacking was the English language which staff had difficulty conversing in. But there was friendliness evident and this definitely made the holiday a pleasant experience.
Me and my family were a little sad leaving on the Sunday and will definitely be back. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Choose the deluxe categories at the poolside
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
HVCherating, General Manager at Holiday Villa Cherating, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Dear Merezko,

Thank you for your nice comments with regards to your last visit to us. I had the pleasure of meeting you in the lobby and am happy that I was abe to be of assistance to you.
Your positive remarks about the staff here will definitely be a motivating factor for them to excell even further in or goal to exceed our guests expectations.

We have also a programme for English conversing currently in progress. This will not only enhance communication but also in prepare us for Visit Malaysia Year 2014 as we welcome visitors to our beautiful country.
We hope to welcome you back here in the near future. Please do not hesitate to contact us directly at fomchv@holidayvilla.com to make your booking or enquiry.It was a pleasure being of service and looking forward to doing so again.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

Our family decided to go to Cherating for the weekend. We originally decided to stay at the Sanctuary resort but once we got there and inspected the rooms, we found that they smelled and suspected that the mattresses and sofas were moldy and full of fungi. So we googled for other places to stay the night and found that all hotels were fully booked except the Holiday Villa which had only one apartment left. Since there was 12 of us, we decided that the three bedroom apartment would do. The rooms were quite comfortable with clean sheets. The unit was clean with a fridge and a microwave. My only complaint is about the bathrooms. There were two bathrooms in the apartment. The door on the ground floor toilet couldn't lock. The top floor shower didnt have sufficient water pressure - it was basically trickling. And the shower door couldnt lock so it constantly swung open even when you closed it. The top floor toilet was small as well. Hardly navigable. Air conditioning units all worked and all hotel amenities were within easy walking distance.

The next morning we went for the buffet breakfast - the spread was not that great. There was nasi lemak, mee rebus, mee goreng, sad looking sausages, baked beans, bread pudding, breakfast cereals, and an egg counter. Thats it. Wasn't very delicious as well, but it was good enough to fill the tummy. After that we walked to the beach - careful walking on the grass as you will find occasional dog droppings. The beach was clean. Overall I would say that the stay was comfortable enough but I wouldnt go there again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear WanosRepinos,

Thank you for taking the time to give your valuable feedback on your recent trip to Holiday Villa Cherating. Your kind comments on the cleanliness and comfort of your stay is very much appreciated.
With regards to the bathroom doors not being able to lock, I have done an investigation to it as this is how we note down preventive maintnance that needs to be done. The apartment taken by your goodself as you describe it has been checked thoroughly and has been found to be in perfect working order. It may have been a case of the way the door was locked, nevertheless, be assured that it has been checked personally be myself and once again thank you for bringing this up to our attention. I apologise for the inconvenience you encountered on the size of the bathroom facility.It is a comfort to us though, to hear that all bathroom facilities were in perfect working order.

I was quite surprised to hear of the dog droppings that you mentioned as we do not have animals wandering around the property, much alone dogs, but we do have a variety of birds that fly around which is a beautiful sight especially among nature lovers.

I hope that you would consider coming again should your travel plans bring you along this way as we would be most delighted to welcome you back to Holiday Villa Cherating.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

The hotel is nice without crowded. The room is big and every thing is fine. Feel very comfortable on morning time at sitting on beach. The entrance road is on bad condition this is the bad image for me since the road is the way to first welcome clients to the resort. When I check out have a staff assist me carry the luggage to my car this get 1 point.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
HVCherating, General Manager at Holiday Villa Cherating, responded to this review, October 5, 2013
Dear Mr. Cedric Lim,

Thank you for your kind words with regards to your stay with us recently. It is always a pleasure to hear from a happy guest and we appreciate the time taken to do so.

We are continuously striving to enhance our guests experiences and feedback from our valued guests such as yourself helps me identify areas to work on.

Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to welcoming you back here at Holiday Villa in the near future.

Shah Alam, Malaysia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

I had called the hotel earlier to hold on to my room with a special request for a king sized bed as I would be checking in late at night on 20 SEP 2013. Upon check-in at 11PM, the reception mentioned that my room was not available and they promised to upgrade us to chalet. I declined after looking at the chalet condition. Then, was suggested a honeymoon suite for my family. The "suite" was run down and badly maintained. Taps are not functioning properly, no facility for boiling hot water and TV reception was bad. The air in the room was stale and the furniture were old and broken.
As we were tired, I just accepted the room as it was close to midnight already.

As for breakfast, we came in at 9AM and the egg station already ran out of eggs to our dissappointment. Talk about poor inventory management. Quality of food was below average only. When we left the beach restaurant, we saw a lorry delivering eggs to the hotel. Don't even have a backup of eggs supply in hotel.

The only good thing was the pool, but other guests were allowed to wear their clothes to swim rather than proper swimming attire. No towels were available at the pool!

Paid RM170 for this, definitely for there are better choices of hotel along this Cherating beach.I would not recommend this hotel for sure.
I guess the management will not be responding to this comment.

Room Tip: Probably try the ones near the pool.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dear Mr. Quah,

It was distressing to hear of the occurances that you encountered during your last visit to Cherating.
Please allow me to explain after doing a thorough investigation with regards to your feedback.

I believe the hotel had called you up to inform of the upgrade of your room prior to your arrival as this is a procedure to inform guests of any sort of change that happens due to unforseen circumstances.The chalet that was given as an upgrade is a very sought after category room type among our guests and I was surprised it was not to your liking although it is all a personal preference and we respectfully understand that. Nevertheless, it's lush greenery amongst the gardens is what our guests like and I believe the chalet assigned as your upgrade had a sea-view.I hope you have he opportunity to book one in future to experience it.

Every room in the resort has coffee-tea making facilities and comes with a kettle for boiling water.
With regards to the delay in replanishment of the egg counter, I would like to apologise as it was unusually busy with orders of eggs that morning and this is not surprising as the egg counter serves a wide range of cooking methods which is popular among our breakfast guests. However, the situation was brought under control within 15 minutes as my reports show.

Mr. Quah, I hope this has not marred your perception of Holiday Villa Cherating.
It would be a pleasure to invite you back here in the near future as we value your custom.
Thank you kindly for your feedback as it enables me to place procedures where room for improvement is required. Please be assured that we are continuously enhancing our services to exceed our valued guests expectations.

Leslie Pereira

Been to Holiday Villa Cherating? Share your experiences!