“A Little Piece of Heaven” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Club Med Cherating Beach

You added Club Med Cherating Beach to your Saves list
Club Med Cherating Beach
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   29th mile, Jalan Kuantan Kemaman, Kuantan 26080, Malaysia   |
Special Offer
All-Inclusive Packages
Ranked #1 of 40 Hotels in Kuantan
Mount Gambier, Australia
“A Little Piece of Heaven”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

As Club Med novices, nothing prepared us for the incredible experience that my husband and I have come to call 'the holiday of a lifetime'. Visiting from the 23rd of December 2012 to the 7th of January 2013, our two-week stay in the place we soon came to call home, was nothing short of extraordinary. From the day of our arrival to the day of our very sad departure, the experience of Club Med Cherating was life changing.

The resort, built in the local style - teak buildings on stilts, and situated in lush garden settings between the jungle and the South China Sea, is a magical place. The view from our balcony alone was picture perfect and breathtaking - palm trees, the ocean, the monitor lizards, etc. Whilst the resort is the oldest Club Med in Asia and some renovating is required, the amount of time spent in the room is absolutely minimal - there is just far too much to do and see at Club Med Cherating to waste it indoors: flying trapeze (with various circus activities), archery, sailing (catamarans) & kayaking, tennis, volley ball, football, aqua-aerobics, petanque, rock climbing, tree-top adventures, table tennis, and so much more. There are also tours on offer, the Night Market (a chance to taste local street food), Kuantan shopping with a stop at a Hindu Temple and Kuantan's famous Blue Mosque, and the Firefly outing, all memorable and worth doing.

For those simply wanting to relax and unwind there is yoga, batik painting, rain-forest walking, strolls on the beach, a visit to the spa (a bit pricey but well worth it), or just lazing around the pools and bar lounge - Garry (the lovely service member of the Bar Team) will make sure you never have to leave the pool area to get a drink! For couples who are looking for some peace and tranquility, as the main pool area is a hive of activity, a short trip (via the Cherating train), will take you to the Zen Pool - an adults only area. This is a stunning addition to Club Med Cherating and should not be missed. The beach (with beach bar) and Rambulan Restaurant are just a short walk from the Zen Pool, so an entire day can be spent here.

For those questioning the value of an all-inclusive resort - don’t. Food and beverages are a-plenty and there is non-stop entertainment.

The Food: from the moment you are welcomed into the main restaurant, your tastes buds are in for an adventure. This restaurant gives a new meaning to buffet dining and every meal was a delight. Chinese, Indian (Chef Santana you are a food genius), Japanese, Italian, Western (Chef Vickram, thanks for the veggie mash) and Korean offerings keep you going back for more, and if you have a sweet tooth, then pastry Chef Heru’s creations will keep you sated. The Christmas and New Year’s Eve meals were especially memorable (I have the photos to prove it). Of course, it is not just the food that makes your dining experience complete – it is the people. The service team is very efficient and always have smiles on their faces but special mention must go to the wonderful Ghazzo, the brilliant, professional and very charming restaurant manager - if you ever need anything, then Ghazzo is your man. My husband celebrated his 50th birthday on New Year’s Eve and Ghazzo and his team made sure that it was a birthday to remember, thank you. For Club Med novices, the restaurant is a wonderful place to get to know the GOs - make sure you ask for a larger table so that you may enjoy your meals with them - this was a particular highlight of our trip. On a side note: take a visit to the Noodle Bar where Chef Cheah will look after you with one of his spicy noodle creations - the bar is open from 3pm to 6pm (great if you are looking for an afternoon food pick-me-up) and again later on in the evening.

The Bar: whilst some comments (on Tripadvisor) noted the lack of quality of the alcohol on offer, there were certainly no complaints from any of our fellow travelers. As a teetotaler, I challenged the Bar Team to produce the most outrageous of mocktails for me, and they certainly rose to the occasion. Thank you to Sarah, Eva, Micky, Kyle, Rajesh and all the other Bar GOs for keeping us well stocked in beverages and for never losing their cool, no matter how busy the bar became.

Entertainment: wow, were we in for a huge surprise when it came to the evening entertainment. The shows are extremely enjoyable and very good and you have to keep on reminding yourself that it is the GO team and not professional actors/dancers/gymnasts providing the entertainment. What a talented bunch of people and their dedication to bring us a fantastic show every night, knows no limits - rehearsals for the next evening’s shows are often at 11pm (after a VERY long day’s work for the GOs). The costumes and sets are lovely and special mention must go to Arturo (for sound) and Ryan (for lighting) and the very talented Byron, the Club Med Cherating choreographer, who reignited my passion for dance! The Miss Cherating ‘Beauty’ Pageant starring Marcello, Lucas, Jake, Brendon and Juju was particularly entertaining with Brendon and Juju teaming up as Cherating’s comedy duo, surprising us on a daily basis, with their interesting characters (the firefly and his catcher being a favourite) - there is never a dull moment at Cherating, even during monsoon season!

The overall ambience and beauty of the resort is amazing, and a budding photographer’s dream, but it is CDV Merlin (Chef de Village) and her GO team, that will make your holiday a complete experience. The energy and enthusiasm of Merlin and the GOs is infectious - they are a professional, talented, kind, attentive and caring team. We were privileged enough to get to know Merlin and many of her GO team members and the experience certainly enriched our lives. The GOs are great ambassadors for their respective countries: Sri Lanka, Singapore, Japan, Korea, Thailand, South Africa, Indonesia, Australia, New Zealand, France, Iran, to name but a few and bring a wonderfully International flair to the resort’s service/entertainment team.

To Shaun (the best maintenance man on the planet) and his lovely Yoko, Marcello (the honorary Australian), Pierre and Lim (the coolest of life guards), Sare (a very brave and inspiring woman), the talented Sarah, Kiwi, Jay, Paul, Habeeb and Montanna (dynamos on the trapeze), Lee (our Japanese Diva), Adam (the reception go-to guy), Willy (who we loved having at the dinner table with us), Leonor (dynamite definitely comes in small packages), the two Erics, the beautiful Love and Miss Kori (thanks for teaching me all you know about my new love, archery), Ahmed (the talented tour desk operator), and all the other GOs that made our stay so absolutely special, thank you.

And to Merlin, you are an inspiration. Your team love you and respect you and this is evident in the way everyone works with you in making Club Med Cherating a little piece of heaven on earth. A previous visitor to Cherating had noted on Tripadvisor that ‘what you put in (at Club Med) is what you get out’ and that is certainly the case for Club Med Cherating - get to know the GOs, spend time with them and just go with the flow - embrace the ‘Cherating’ spirit and you will have the holiday of a lifetime. Now to just start saving for our next Club Med experience.

Trace and John.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

First time in Club Med was one of the best places I've ever been in my entire life!
The trapeze was so much fun! I did it 16 times in total and the trapeze GO's
like Paul, Habeeb, Montana, Julie, Claudia, Sarah and Kiwi taught me so many
tricks like knee hang and batman.The buffet was so good that I was almost in heaven!

The bartender had really nice drinks and the mini club and pass world was really FUN!!!!!!!!
Every night, the GO's would put on a show like a comedy, a circus and dancing like
Michael Jackson! One of my favourite singers! My heart was filled with joy!

Each day I would go to the pool and have fun with my sister who was super super excited!
The dinner buffet was really cool because GO's are allowed to sit with you and talk.
After the performances, my sister and I would get a drink at the bar.

I wanted to stay up at midnight at the bar but I can't because my grandparents wouldn't let me.
Every night in my head I would always say that I don't want to go back in Sydney.
When I had to leave, I didn't want to go in a bus, I wanted one of the GO's to come with me
After I couldn't see them I was crying so much I don't want to go in the airport.
In the plane I'd like to go back to Club Med next year and if I can see you guys again , I'm going to give them a Big hug to say "I miss you so so much!"

Shanghai, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

We had the best time at Club Med Cherating Beach! It was our best vacation ever! The kids club was awesome and run by great people! We took advantage of all three Kids Club, Petit Club and Baby Club and all were great!! Awesome shows! Just an all around great time!! I highly recommend this place!! Very family friendly!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Kuala Lumpur
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

This was out first Club Med experience and it was one of the best family holidays we have had. The staff are extremely friendly and helpful and instantly get you into the holiday mood from the moment you arrive. Our kids (8 and 6) were kept entertained in the kids club from early morning until well into the evening and they were very reluctant to leave when check out came. For my wife and I, the whole holiday was relaxing and hassle free.

The pros: Beautiful location, Wonderful staff (their energy and enthusiasm is incredible), Great kids program and activities, Awesome nightly shows and events.

The cons: Only one .. the rooms are a little old and could do with refurbishment - mainly putting in new aircon and toilets. It's not terrible, but should be better for the price.

We would highly recommend staying at Club Med, Cherating. Special thanks to Julian (leading by example), Eric (warm welcome), Byron (spectacular shows), Teddy (kids favourite), Montana and the circus team, and all the rest of the staff who befriended us - there too many to mention.

Room Tip: Get a room close to the reception/pool. As the resort is large, it means less time will be spent wa...
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

First experience with Club med. Just one word : perfect ! Everything was good : the food, the very friendly (and helpful) GO team and all the activities which were offered.
The kids were very happy to be so independant and at the same time with GO when they wanted to do activities.
When we were in Malaysia, we also traveled to other places, like Shangri La in Kota Kina Balu, which has also a high level of service, but does not reach the level we experienced with Club Med : at Club Med, food was much better and GO were also much more helpful and friendly.
One of my surprise was to see that GO were there all the time, but also respected your privacy.
The kids were really sad to go after 2 great weeks at Club Med and are asking us to come back.

Basel, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

Excellent club, beautiful surroundings, very friendly team of GOs and manager who all made our stay perfect!
Plenty to do for kids and adults alike - superbly organised and creative kids club, great sports and relax areas for adults
Even when it rained (we were there during monsoon) the team of GOs made sure you wouldn't get bored
Great food, lovely park, and very nice spa facilities too. cPerfectCleanliness of rooms and other facilities.

Cherating Beach is absolutely recommended if you need an unforgettable, re-energizing holiday, especially when you come out of cold wintertime in Europe

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

First time to Club Med, decided to try Club Med Cherating Beach as I could drive up there.

I brought our 2 kids - a 4 & 5 year olds and stayed there for 4 days there (5-Jan to 9-Jan). It was very relaxing and pleasant getaway. There were many activities around the resort everyday but I did not participate in much other activities - my wife and I were just enjoying the awesome tranquility..:). (probably because it's a low season).

My kids absolutely enjoyed and loved the Mini Club Med and their activities - to a point whereby they didn't want to go home!

Rooms of the resort, as in other reviews, were rather small and basic; I stayed in the "renovated" Seaside Deluxe room and were given two connected rooms which make it so much easier for us.

Fortunately, the average room conditions was compensated by the staff and GOs in the resort.
GOs were very friendly and helpful - they filled the whole place with a happy & lively atmosphere. Merlin, the club's GM, is absolutely fascinating and she really makes everyone join in the fun atmosphere - she's also a great dancer! :P

It was a relief staying at Club Med that I don't have to worry about what to eat next. The food selection at the restaurant was excellent for lunch & dinner - breakfast was a bit bland and I think this needs to improve.

My family will definitely be back soon - probably to another Club Med.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with my lovely family,

Room Tip: Rooms which are away from reception is a lot quieter - if you dont' mind the 10 mins walk. Don...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Been to Club Med Cherating Beach? Share your experiences!