“Location, location, location!” 4 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Lodge   |   342 | Mukim Sungai Karang, Kuantan 26080, Malaysia   |
London, United Kingdom
“Location, location, location!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Despite the reviews our family decided to give it a try and we were very happy we did! Our host Tony gave us a free upgrade in block C and I can't even describe the breath taking views, just wondrous and worth every penny!
This resort is undergoing a complete overhaul and those areas done are very nice, our apartment was very well appointed and clean and had everything we could need including bathrobes and slippers for all of us!
Our breakfasts were excellent and we could have anything we wanted, also the one evening meal we had was generous and very nice.
This place is slightly misleading as I would consider the accommodation more self catering as opposed to a resort as all the activities were at off site locations. The pool was great and often we had it all to our selves, you have to ask for the deck chairs though! The beach is wondrous but the tide brings in all sorts of rubbish but then takes it away again, this was a problem for the whole coast and something the authorities should address because these could be the best beaches in the world and the sea is lovely and warm too.
This hotel is in neither in Kuantan or Cherating but between them and though taxi's are easy to get and not too costly it is better that you rent your own car or even rent the Resort vehicle to be able to explore the area, we did and found some wonderful places and people. If you want anything the front desk will provide it, nothing is too much trouble and the proprietor is a can do man with a positive attitude and super friendly as well. For a complete chill out or an action packed adventure this place is great to stay at! Ps Learn how to say thank you in Malaysian, you won't be disappointed by the reaction you get!

Room Tip: Block C has the best views and this place is all about the views!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Indonesian first
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Room was dirty,smelly,front desk staff very rode,no hot water at bedroom.you can fine so many ant at their floor.i and my family have bad experience stay at this resort and we never came back at this resort.Room rate so high Rm 350.00 you gate nothing . for any friends thing 1000 time if you need to stay at this resort.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Tosswill, General Manager at Sanctuary Resort, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Its sad, these guests did not enjoy there stay, we are extremely sorry for that. We recall this guest and we at times have problems due to the amount of persons staying in a 3 Bedroom Apartment. Our staff at the front desk are very co operative other than when over crowding in Rooms applies.

The Hot Water Switch is in the Kitchen, and it apears sadly our Guest did not read the instruction in the room, for this we are sorry for. However we have adequate maintenance staff and could not find any record of a complaint logged to my surprise.

We are located on the Direct Beachfront of the South China Sea. So we are fortunate to get a Sea breeze with Two Sliding Doos opening to a Large Balcony plus several other Windows and 4 Air Conditioners, we can only assume what could be what the guest call smelly was in fact something Else.

Again no comments logged at our front desk to my surprise.

We do find when more than 6 Guests are in a 3 Bedroom Apartment guests that have to pay extra fees for Extra Persons do not like it and get very Angry.

This is human nature, we have now a no tolerance Policy when it comes to Extra Persons in Apartments which is surprisingly before very common, but there is resistance to Change.

For this were are sorry for inconvienience.
Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

Why most all the review is so bad? I come to this apartment it not like what are they say. The apartment so nice with nice view (sea view). The toilet clean complete with a soap, shampoo and towel. All the staff so nice and helpful. Have a pantry and can cook by our own food just need to pay only RM 50 for kitchen kit. So peaceful at night. I suggest to all to come here.
I will come back here sometimes.....

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

The room was dirt, toilets are dirty. Sheets look as if it has not been washed for months. The staff are not helpful they even complained to the boss that we ask them to clean the rooms so many times. Well we expect a decent room, I was dreading to go to the toilet it was that bad! And one of the people in my group bummed into the owner and complained and instead of being apologetic he was very annoyed and did not apologize for the conditions of the room. Overall I would not recommend to anyone and i will definitely not book a room here ever.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
We are so sorry for the inconvienience to this Guest. When a Group is booked in Here, the Organiser for the Group allots there Members to each Apartment. If Standard Room or Rooms with Extra Beds definetly members guests can be inconvienienced.

Again we find it disspoiting and sad that some comments dont reflect the Resort when others are to blame. Heresay sadly damages our reputation.

As I am the boss, and I can assure all if I had a Guest Complaint I act Imedietly I had no conversation that I can recall where upon logically one would not address a guests complaint imedietely.

We opologise for what appears to be more politics than events as we never wish to have an unhappy guests.
Kuala Lumpur, Wilayah Persekutuan, Malaysia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

Where to I begin?

1. Paid RM350 for a 2 bedroom apartment with NO hot water shower. When asked, the receptionist said that it was only available in the 3 bedroom apartment (going for RM430). Mind you this was for the apartment NOT facing the beach or the pool.

2. The 'resort' has seen better days..perhaps about 20 years ago. It is a little run down. Musky air, dirt, dust and stains are everywhere.

3. When I arrived, I notice a used coffee cup on the 'dining table'..in the hall, it was still there 24 hours later.

4. It is dark everywhere - stayed on the 4th floor of Block B and the lights along the aisle were not working (no bulbs?) and the lift was 'erratic' (I suggest using the stairs).

5. NO security was evident except for the lone young girl at the reception. I don't feel safe, thankfully I was with group of 20.

6. The pictures are accurate description of the deplorable condition.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere !!!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Kuala Lumpur
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

Believe all the bad reviews you are reading from other reviews! I don't normally write bad reviews but the condition at Sanctuary is soooooo bad I had to write this one. I had to stay here because the company I work for booked the hotel for its get-together.Top on my list of hell at Sanctuary is the air-conditioning which needs servicing, The second, the staff who never showed up to service the air-cond, hence, two nights of tossing and turning on the bed due to uncomfortable room temp. The third, the clealiness of the hotel. Ohhhh my God, if you could bear to sleep in a bed full of stains and sit on a sofa that is very dirty, than maybe this hotel for you, BUT wait that is not the worst news, they actually have very nice rooms here at Sanctuary, with working air-cond, clean sofas and so on but these rooms are few and far between. If you are lucky, you might end up with these rooms which are the ones advertised on the internet. If your company is considering booking this hotel, be suspicious of the person booking the rooms for your company. She or he may get the best rooms and leave you and the rest to dumpster rooms like ours did.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

The apt unit tht I stayed was huge, 2 bedrooms n 2 barhrooms n a kitchen n a living room. Tht's the only positive aspect of the stay.
The cons:-
1. The place was dirty! Like nobody bothered to mop n sweep the place before the arrival of the guests. Dust everywhere!
2. Terrible sheets n pillows. The pillow cases hv turned grey, n hv seen too many better days! They were hard too.
3. TV didn't hv clear reception, like they forgot to install the aerial or something.
4. We were located on the 3rd floor n the lift was not working! N nobody to help us carry our luggage to our unit.

And the list goes on.

• Stayed October 2012

Been to Sanctuary Resort? Share your experiences!