“'Warm' welcome” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Labuan Island
Kuching
“'Warm' welcome”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013 via mobile

I arrived in Labuan and went straight to the hotel with my booking paper. The receptionist helped me professionally and I've been told that they upgraded my room to a suite. Well,lucky me. The room totally mesmerized me ,because it was indeed spectacular. However I realized that my room temperature still at a level where I can easily sweat so I called the staff and a maintenance staff was sent to my room to check on my air cond. the staff told me that I need to wait for at least two hours but I've been in the room for like 6 hours.thats what I told him but he still insist on his fact and even back up his story by telling the room has never experience problem with the air cond.i ended up checking out the next day with the temperature still the same. Overall, the hotel was really awesome from all aspect however the staff need to listen when a guest complain.we will not complain unreasonably.and one thing, the basement parking smells truly foul. Lose my appetite due to the smell. Peace !

Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
GDLabuan, General Manager at Dorsett Grand Labuan, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Dear Royce88,

Thank you for highlighting the unpleasant experience regarding the air conditioning system during your recent stay with us.

We apologize for the discofort and inconveniences that you had encountered.

Please be assured that the hotel is constantly working in maintaining and improving the quality of our service standards through your feedback.

Once again we apologize and hope to see you in Dorsett Grand Labuan soon.

Thank you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
  • Indonesian first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

The Saturday BBQ buffet at Victoria's Brasserie is definitely thus far the best in Labuan- it's kind of like my family ritual to have dinner here on Saturday whenever we can and want, of course. It seems to have improved the many many years we've been there, which has been for more than 7 years definitely- there are more selections, and choices are always varied every time we dine there. Quality is consistent for dishes that are the "standard", e.g. the BBQ. Value is actually pretty good as well. Have not experienced the rooms and/or other facilities, at least not recently.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear Yukaeshi,

Thank you for your lovely comments on our Saturday Buffet Dinner. We appreciate that you recognize the efforts made to constantly improve our skills and services to create a 5-star dining experience for guests.

On a further note, do try our Happy Hour Buffet every Monday to Thursday, come between 6pm-7pm and enjoy the buffet at a flat rate of RM48!

Once again we thank you for your kind feedback and we hope to see you again soon!
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

Was there recently for work. The accommodation was quite clean and maintained. The breakfast had a good spread and the service by the cafe staff was good.
My only grouse was with the banquet staff. I had an event there and it was quite a horrible experience. Given the rates they charged, the service did not live up to expectations. Everything from hanging up the banner to arranging the function room. One had to be there to supervise the staff to do things, they did not have the initiative nor the common sense provide the basics. My function was an interview, the banquet staff was walking in and out of it as it was like Grand Central station using it as a connection between the hallway and the kitchen. Again, no sense on the staff part. So inefficient till they forgot to come with the bill. We had to ask a few times before it appeared. Management should look into the operations of that department.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Dear TravellingCow,

We thank you for choosing Dorsett Grand Labuan as your preferred hotel during your work trip here in Labuan.

We thank you for appreciating the room and the breakfast spread we had. However we apologize for your experience with our banquet team. We will definitely look into it as it is not acceptable to interrupt a function no matter what.

Once again we apologize for our shortcomings and we sincerely hope to see you in Dorsett Grand Labuan again.

Sunrise Beach
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

My partner and I stayed at the Grand Dorsett Hotel Labuan checking in 2 Jan 2013 and checking out 5 Jan 2013 in a corner suite on level 7. The suite included club benefits and the staff were very friendly. The restaurant was fantastic and high level of service. Breakfast was in the main restaurant which was included with club level. Only a short drive to the War Memorial and peace Parks which was our reason for the visit to Labuan. Overall a fantastic experience

Room Tip: Stay in a suite if possible which includes club benefits. Close to war memerial and peace park.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear CORCCO55,
Thank you for choosing Dorsett Grand Labuan as your preferred hotel during your stay in Labuan.

We are glad that you are happy with the room and our culinary department will be thrilled with your positive comment. We truly appreciate that you recognize our efforts in presenting the best service for you.

We hope to see you in Dorsett Grand Labuan soon.

Brunei
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012 via mobile

First time bck to Labuan for the past 8 yrs n pleasantly surprised to find a supposedly 5 star hotel ;-)

Pros
- upgraded to executive room when checking in
- great location..just across the only shopping mall in Labuan.
- room has lovely view of the ports n has a balcony

Cons
- tv doesn't work properly
- buffet breakfast not enough to cater hotel patrons when hotel staff knew of full occupancy.
- inadequate parking area.
- gym facilities not enough
- charged RM$3 for an 8 sec phone call which they claimed came frm our room but is ridiculous since we have our own Malaysian mobile lines.however the receptionist cancelled it frm our room bill when we disputed it.
- wifi connection in our room does not work

Overall pleasant experience but could do with improvements

• Stayed December 2012
GDLabuan, Owner at Dorsett Grand Labuan, responded to this review, January 1, 2013
Thank you for choosing Grand Dorsett Labuan as your preferred hotel during your return to Labuan.

We truly appreciate your detailed feedback and please accept our sincere apologies for the unpleasant experience that you have encountered.

Please be assured that all matters highlighted to us will addressed and rectified.

We hope to see you again at Grand Dorsett Labuan.

Once again our sincere apologies for our short comings.
Edmonton, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

This is a five-star hotel in decay, and this review would only be 2 or 3 out of 5 at best, even without the lift incident.

I was going up to my room, and the lift (elevator) stopped, lights went out, and it gradually got quite warm with the fan not running. (I'm not one to panic, otherwise I'd be using colourful language here.) I fished an emergency light out of my backpack, and managed to light up the control panel enough to see the buttons; pressing them however accomplished nothing. So I just sat down by the door and proceeded to pound on it, in hopes of perhaps attracting attention. I assumed power was out in the entire hotel, but I figured it couldn't hurt.

After ten or fifteen minutes the power came back on, and after a tedious reboot sequence (go down, go up), the lift finally opened the doors on the main level. I walked to the reception, and exclaimed "How could you not have backup power for the lifts?!?". This puzzled them; they didn't know there was a problem, and they weren't aware any power had gone out. I suggested they had a problem with the middle lift, and left it at that. For the remainder of my stay I avoided the middle lift. (There are no stairs for guests to use, I asked.)

The next day I asked the manager on duty if they'd investigated the lift problem. This was the first she'd heard of it as well; apparently my report of a problem the previous day had gone nowhere.

Lift aside, internet was a problem. Internet access in the room is via WiFi or cable (supplied), but I found the WiFi access excruciatingly slow; wired access luckily was somewhat better. The next day however, internet access in the room stopped working entirely, whether by WiFi or cable, for the entire night. Their answer was that they're upgrading the system (making it stop working counts as an upgrade?), but I could use the WiFi in the lobby. This I did for a while until cigarette smoke from the bar drove me away. For a business-class hotel, this level of internet service is unacceptable.

The room is decaying. On the toilet seat and in the bathtub I saw dark specks, and my first reaction was, did the maid miss something? On close inspection, no, those are just chips in the enamel, good. All in all, it looks like the maids did a fine job, though they probably couldn't do anything about the sofa. The sofa was visibly dirty, and simply needs to be thrown out. I refused to touch it. Other things: The armrest on the work chair is broken, there are water stains on the ceiling in the bathroom, and the wallpaper has assorted cuts and peels at the edges.

Bed was quite comfortable (and clean), and I slept well.

Breakfast was excellent for quality and variety, and I saw no trace of the flies a previous reviewer mentioned. The offerings were even Indian-themed in honour of the Deepavali festival; a nice touch.

Room Tip: Harbour-view rooms cost only a few ringgit more.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
GDLabuan, General Manager at Dorsett Grand Labuan, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Dear ViajeroPerdido,

It was our pleasure to have you as our guest and we appreciate your constructive feedback on your recent stay. We would firstly like to extend our sincere apologies for the inconvenience and disappointment you had. We take pride in creating memorable hotel experiences for our guests and, in this regard, we are genuinely regretful to learn of your experience. Please rest assured that the matters mentioned are duly dealt with by the hotel management and we are in the process of rectification.

On a brighter note, we are pleased that you liked the bed and have enjoyed your breakfast at our restaurant. The team at Grand Dorsett Labuan looks forward to welcoming you again in the near future!

Best regards.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

I had the opportunity to visit Labuan on two occasions, Last year in 2011 and then again on 2012 the second visit to the hotel has made me write this comment of how much they have improve in terms of guest services and products. The staff was much more efficient and courteous. They remember my name after my check in. Their room was clean and spacious. The Restaurant Breakfast spread is International standards with lot of choices. The home made pastries and cakes is excellent. A well organised management and operations standard hotel. They have became better on my second visit from a Good Hotel to Very Good Hotel.

Room Tip: The Higher floor rooms has better view of Labuan...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear SAMSARUJEE,

We are delighted to learn of your good feedback and thank you for your appreciation towards our effort! We definitely look forward to welcoming you again for another memorable hotel experience with us!

Best regards.

Been to Dorsett Grand Labuan? Share your experiences!