“Not-to-be-missed” 5 of 5 stars

04-9593378
Improve this listing
Ranked #51 of 74 things to do in Langkawi
More attraction details
Owner description: Herbwalk is about sharing knowledge regarding the wonders of plants as medicine. We have a collection of more than 500 different plants with medicinal values to showcase to our guests. Our hospitality will be our best judge.
Langkawi, Malaysia
7 attraction reviews
“Not-to-be-missed”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

I suppose you should have some interest in nature and plants, but simply meeting this man and listening to his passion is a unique opportunity. You will absolutely walk away with new knowledge and a cultural experience. Highly recommended. Dr. Ghani is one of a kind!

Visited September 2012

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
16 attraction reviews
“Skeptics shall eat humble curry puffs (as opposed to pie)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2009

When I announced the arrangements for my family to attend Dr. Ghani's Garden Walk, I had some serious skeptics among my family who thought it sounded boring, among all the many other action-packed things to do in Langkawi.

The sign outside was quite modest and we actually passed it and had to U-turn. When we arrived, we were taken into a "tree" house. I don't think it was built in the trees, but it was built right at the border between Dr. Ghani's garden and the mangrove forest, high up on stilts. We were served home-cooked, delicious local fare (for any Malaysians out there it was roti jala, curry puff, seri muka and of course, teh tarik!) and an herbal tea to try for health benefits. Dr. Ghani even provided bottles of mineral water for us to carry around in the garden.

Several of our family members were getting sinus reactions, so the first thing Dr. Ghani introduced us to was a plant that counter-acted the sinus reactions immediately just by sniffing the leaf! I can't remember the name, unfortunately, but that was an impactful start to the tour.

There really was a LOT of information. The two science-based PhD students in our party, and Dr. Ghani, with his medical background, were discussing up a storm I couldn't really follow (other than complaints about universities). My father, the avid gardener, was fascinated by how much practical usage was available in the common plants he already had around his own garden, as shown by Dr. Ghani, and they discussed gardening techniques.

I strongly recommend that you come with a notebook if you live anywhere around south-east asia or a climate similar to ours. We had to start writing on scraps of whatever paper we had in our bags. My father even took away a little plant cutting from Dr. Ghani, so if you're that way inclined, you may want to prepare ahead for transplanting tools.

The personal highlight for me is Dr. Ghani's tale of the origin of the "bantal busuk" which literally translates to "smelly pillow" which is a Malay name for whatever toy or pillow children hug or hold on to for comfort, equivalent to a blankie or a favourite teddy bear. Apparently, in the olden days, "bantal busuk" was a pillow stuffed with the leaves of a plant that helped the child relax and fall asleep, and it had a strong, though NOT actually smelly, aroma.

Dr. Ghani had a few pretty pillows for sale hand-sewn in batik cloth, containing those leaves that counter-act sinus reactions or leaves that alleviate headaches while deterring cockroaches. My family swiped the whole lot. They are being used extensively by every family member who bought one.

Three hours later, I had to nag my family members to start leaving, because they kept asking Dr. Ghani more questions. It's true that this is probably not for everyone. Definitely not for children, as this is more a pursuit for the mind, than for entertainment. I do think it's a unique experience that you would be hard-pressed to find anywhere else. Dr. Ghani has a wealth of knowledge not easily found among the public. He's working on a book or two, and I'm looking forward to that publication.

Singapore, Singapore
3 attraction reviews
“Lots to learn from.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2009

Met Dr. Ghani in the morning and he greeted us with a warm smile, before leading us to his home-made wooden house.

Served us great breakfast made by his wife and soon we embarked on a journey of herb knowledge.

If you are someone who loves herbs or want to understand more about traditional herbs' uses, this is the place for you. His vast experience in researching traditional medicine is impressive and his work is highly commendable.

However, as me and my friends are not knowledgeable about herbs, we felt quite lost at time during the walk and lost concentration sometimes due to the blazing sun and the irritating mosquitoes (advisable to wear long pants)

Otherwise, you will be amazed by the many uses of a single harmless looking plant.

Do remember to book your tour with him as he might be out of country at times.

kl
“A relaxing tour LOADED WITH KNOWLEDGE”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2008

After getting some info from the experts of Langkawi in Tripadvisor and visiting their website, I'm full of confidence taking my dearest parents from Brunei to experience the walk as they love herbs very much.

Yes..2 hours definitely not enough to go around the garden, a tour guided by the owner, Dr Ghani, explaining every plants about their uses, the story behind the plants, answering our questions and doubts...really it's very important for us to know...the plants around us but we never even look at them(for generation aged me).

The walk only RM15, but we get lots of informations, knowledge (in fact now i started applying herbs in my daily routine) and it's included refreshment which i never ever get the same taste of it elsewhere.

I did ask him about the Rainforest walk, and it is totally different from jungle walk which i imagine and so the mangrove. He is a researcher, he takes his guest into his world of medicinal plants in both of the area. I wish can be one of his guest, exploring nature of medicinal plants, i promised myself that i MUST get this opportunity where i can be one of the researcher too.