“Resonable Price accomodation near the beach” 3 of 5 stars

Malibest Resort
Pantai Cenang | Mukim Kedawang, Langkawi 07000, Malaysia   |
Ranked #26 of 98 hotels in Langkawi
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Resonable Price accomodation near the beach”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

My family made reservation online months ahead of our trip. They were quite helpful and we made a deposit for 2 rooms for 2 nights. On the day of check-in, we decided to cancel one room as the Brick Room can accomodate 6 people. However, as it was late notice, they allowed us to cancel one night only, which was quite ok. We had one room near the beach which my parents complained the room not cold enough and the brick room came with 2 queen bed which has only 2 towels. We requested for more but the hotel said, although there are 2 queen size bed, they only give 2 towels but later they did send somone to deliver another 2 more towel to us. They provide kettle for you to boil water but no instant tea or coffee. The room is spacious enough to add 2 more mattress but their mattress is quite thin so it wasn't very comfortable. The aircon is cold enough but the neighbours were rather noisy as the brick room we had is only one room away from the main road, the inner rooms maybe more quiet. Carpark is limited. The hotel reception was friendly but warm. This resort provide the best deal for rooms so if you are on a budget, this place would be ok if you spend most time outdoor and just need a place to shower and rest.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

373 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
  • Indonesian first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

Nice view. Nice beach. Nice room.
Sound of the waves wake me up and aso a very original lullaby. :)

A tidy room. Equipment in good condition. Staff will clean up the door filled with sand everyday.

10 out of 10. I will choose malibest again when i go back to langkawi.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

I've been unable to write this for about 8 months- I know it sounds OTT but I really WAS traumatised- it's taken me THIS long to write it up. I'll later look up the exact dates of my nightmare visit:
I'd been to visit Malibest- usually in one of the tree houses- about a dozen or more times before and it was ALWAYS fabulous. I'm a Brit living in Kuala Lumpur.

On this last visit- about 8 months ago:
-The female receptionist demanded to know on my arrival- are you alone? Then she asked "Why?" She made me feel dirty.

- She denied they had a booking yet I'd phoned FIVE times and they seemed in utter chaos. I'd given my credit card number also, and they even demanded my security number from the back of the card. Over the phone, they confirmed six nights in a tree house. On arrival, the receptionist demanded a rm100 deposit in CASH despite having taken my credit card and charging me.

- I was treated appallingly and EVERY day moved from room to room but the worst was the incredible building site noise. It was like living in the middle of a building site- the whole place is being ripped down and reconstructed, but I wasn't warned and there was NO apology, only AGGRESSION. I was refused a new room EVERY DAY from mid-day until 3pm , even though the room was ready. I had to sit in the on-beach open cabana" where the local drunks and druggies congregated, and one threw up over my shoes. there was NO Security.

- the reason I wanted to get away from Kuala Lumpur was that both the apartment above mine and below were being noisily converted- drilling, manual removal of wall tiles & parquet floor, knocking down of walls- from 4 rooms to 9 to let to overseas students.The noise became unbearable, so
I needed a holiday- I needed to GET AWAY FROM NOISE. so it was "from the frying pan into the fire", as we Brits say- a HORROR STORY. In the EU you can SUE for this, but NOT in Malaysia.

They didn't tell me on my many phone calls nor on arrival that a major 4 storey rebuilding project was going on, which started banging and drilling at 0700 and finished at sunset- just exactly the mega- noise I'd fled KL to get away from. No holiday- just STRESS.

On my first day, I had NO benefit from the tree house, as Air Asia delayed my flight by 4 hours and then reception banged on my door at 11 a.m. the next day telling me "You have one hour to get out", despite my pre-paid booking for 6 nights. They were aggressive, and having lived in Malaysia for 12 years, I can tell you this is unheard of, not unusual- unheard of.

The floors of ALL the rooms I was moved to- I was thrown out of my room EVERY day- were FILTHY- my bare feet were BLACK. No one bothers to clean the floors; the place STANK of stale sweat and stinking feet. Some rooms were just filthy.

I had agreed on the phone that, as I can’t sleep with aircon, they would give me sheets and not a duvet and that I would use a fan. Of course this didn't happen and they were VERY rude about it, but I couldn’t face going back to the b**** from hell, so it took sleeping tablets even though I was so tired, as the duvet was too short to tuck into the bed and I felt so HOT. Am NOT stupid- have lived here 12 years. On request, a fan is provided and a topsheet. I have NEVER known otherwise.

Most days they wouldn't give me a new room until 3pm- it was all a big joke to them:

Reception at 12 noon; the SAME girl: “Where are your bags? It’s 12 o’clock and you must leave NOW”. I was taken aback by the rudeness, despite the previous night’s agreement that they wouldn't keep moving me. “But “I’ve prepaid for SIX nights”, I said. “Well you’ll have to move out and come back at 3pm. I then asked her WHY? She shouted “It's THE RULES: you’ll have to come back at THREE” and the other 4 staff in the back room who were drinking tea and gossiping had a good laugh. I asked for the manager, but they just LAUGHED.

I tried reasoning with her, but it was no good, plus there were TEN DESPERATE foreigners behind me trying to check out and saying they were worried about missing their return flights- they'd been waiting so long and virtually ALL the staff were giggling in the back room- there was ONLY ONE woman on reception. I have NEVER KNOWN MALAY ACT LIKE THIS, and I've been here twelve years. I repeat: this is NOT MALAY behavour. something is seriously WRONG at this resort.

On the third day, when I was waiting for a new tree house, I was in the "cabana" on the beach, and messed up guys were smoking ganja and being very loud. They got noisier and noisier and asked what was in my bags, then as their liquor ran out, asked me for money. I moved to a beach umbrella but a guy appeared and demanded money again. In the end, I moved to the Arab restaurant at the back, owned by Malibest; there was no toilet and the kebab was dry, and not hot, obviously a microwave left over from the night before; NOT cheap, but horrible.

Three o’clock came and the girl literally TOSSED a keycard at me, which landed on the floor. There are no numbers on the rooms, so it took me 20 minutes of SWEAT in the sun to find that my room which wasn’t a tree house and was right next to the cabana with the drunken druggies. They jeered at me as I went in. I went to reception to complain but gave up. There was another girl now on reception, but she simply ignored me. NO REFUND.

I have another 3 pages of notes from that NIGHTMARE, but I think that's enough. Don't go there.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
London, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

Everything promised was a lie.

Double room was a twin.
Garden view was a broken patio.
Standard room has paint peeling off the walls.
Friendly staff do not care that you are not happy and the manager will not conceed any point and change the room or offer a discount.

Would never recommend this place. In the last 6 months of travelling we have stayed mainly in rooms that cost 10 dollars or less. This was 50 dollars and was very, very inferior.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Armidale, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

Langkawi is not a cheap place in general - prices for accommodation and food are generally high. There are cheaper options for food and accommodation, so don’t let finance put you off coming. Just know this placed is set up for the fly-in Malaysian, Chinese, Indian and European tourists who stay in luxury resorts. Each of these come at different times, and we arrived in the low season of mid September. I hate to think what this place would be like in the high season.

Malibest is a mid-range, not a budget hotel, although they have some budget rooms that do not have a sea view. It is in a very good position, so that is a plus. Pantai Cenang is not a long beach (we come from Australia, so nothing compares with Australian beaches), but it is a broad sand-beach (due probably to the groyne protecting the creek outlet) and very pleasant to walk on other than high tide.

For any non-Asians who read this review, I really want to recommend the two traditional huts Malibest has on the beach front. I am aware that Asians have an aversion to anything traditional and ‘not-modern’, so this precious jewel of a room is only for those who love the pleasure of the old ways. Because of the Asian tourist’s aversion to such accommodation, these two huts remain available until the whole place is full. They still charged us RM190 as it has a sea view, but it was *definitely* the BEST place on the entire Pantai Cenang beach. Absolutely the most divine room you could imagine: thatch interior, wooden all over, and an incredible veranda to watch the changes on the beach. You can lie on the bed and look out the open doors right onto the beach and water. All the wooden windows open to let the natural breeze flow through, plus they have a fan and AC to moderate the best mix of cooling. They are surprisingly large rooms, but if you do take one, here are a few tips. Buy some thumb tacks in the shops and face towels - tack the folded towels to the low doorway top, to soften those head knocks. Also tack some newspaper to the glass windows to block out the light at night if you need darkness for sleep (if you are very light sensitive, the fluro lights outside can be rotated clockwise to go off - this has the added advantage of discouraging the noisy loiterers at 2am from sitting outside your hut).

We stayed one night in the ‘Wooden Super Deluxe’ cabin (RM200/night). The problem with these is that they are completely shut off, apart from a huge window fronting the beach - you are either inside closed off in AC, or outside with minimal sitting facilities. You can pay for a banana chair, which may not be near your room - there were none outside our room. In day time, reflection hinders looking in from outside. Personally I find AC rooms a problem due to their shut off from the outside world situation, but in the heat they are a necessary evil.

It is very pleasant to be right on the beach, if you can afford it, as the swimming is gorgeous. But I should warn you, by 4pm in the afternoon, the beach transforms into the most bizarre Jacques Tati Holiday scene, with jet skies, banana float joy rides, parachutes-behind-speedboats, motorised hang-gliders, soccer matches, family picnickers complete with full-length black burka swimmers, and thousands strolling the beach. I must say the Malaysian families are delightful to watch - they seem so cultured next to the gaga young Chinese yelling and photo-posing in the weirdest positions. All in all it’s a very high-spirited holiday fun park scene, which frankly is too much for my tastes. For the rest of the day - morning to 4pm, the beach is quiet and extremely pleasant.

Malibest service was minimal, but we had no problems with that - it was adequate for the situation. The Indian restaurant at the lobby was good, but a bit too expensive for us. We loved D’Khas cafe on the main street for reasonably priced food, and they had good free WiFi. The WiFi in the rooms at Malibest was close to useless - they really need to fix that, as good WiFi is now an expected utility for any decent accommodation.

Room Tip: Highly recommend the two traditional huts right on the beach.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

Were there for spending a relaxing holiday. We have found the place though online search. It was a beautiful resort according to the budget. There were lovely cottages, tree houses surrounded by Coconut trees. Beach view was excellent. Room was clean & service facility was good enough. Amenities like AC, mini fridge, TV were available. But there is no intercom or internet facility in the room. You have to visit lobby to access internet or in urgency have to go to reception else make callsusing mobile.There are a lot of restaurant available in that area of different tastes. Even there is an Indian restaurant just in front of the resort. Departmental stores are also available within 10-15 min drive from where you may buy essential things for breakfast etc. Water sports are available at the beach. You can take a long walk in the late evening, play or may spend unlimited hours at the beach with family.The thing I loved most is the beach in front of our cottage.. for me it was one of the best beach resort for budget roamers.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Kajang, Malaysia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

I was check in there on public holiday. the room very bad. air Cond is licking and the bathroom is in not good service. The counter staff very rude and unfriendly. my room is too far and no phone in the room. if I need something I need to call them using my phone directly. the staff is not really helpful. its very disappointed.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Malibest Resort? Share your experiences!