“Strategically placed but bad room condition” 3 of 5 stars

Malibest Resort
Pantai Cenang | Mukim Kedawang, Langkawi 07000, Malaysia   |
Ranked #27 of 98 hotels in Langkawi
Malaysia
“Strategically placed but bad room condition”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

I first book this hotel through its website. In the website, I booked for the room that it mentioned facing road. When I first reached the hotel, the hotel staff informed me that I can park my car on the other side of the road. The staff said the car can park in front of our room. Then only I found out the room is not near the beach, but is opposite of the road. However, it is still just a walking distance to the beach.

First enter the room, I can feel the floor is oily and slippery. It was not properly cleaned. The room overall condition is just average. However, it worth the price that we paid because of its location.

Room Tip: Better double confirm with the hotel if you really want to stay at the beach side.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

384 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
  • Indonesian first
Ipoh, Malaysia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

Stayed 3 nights for my anniversary. 1st night the aircon was dripping the whole night,my grandson's bed was wet to the skin.2nd night toilet overflowed.2nd and 3rd days no towels were changed. I wonder whether the beddings were changed!Except for the beach which is clean and has white sand. If your children are playing on the beach,beware of the giant 4wheel pickups and scooters, they are a nusiance for beach users. Beach boys can very rude. You have to pay RM10/- for the usage of deck chairs, even if you are registered guest - real ripoff!. I would not recommend this hotel toany of my friends or any tourists.

Room Tip: Nothing good to add.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013 via mobile

I booked deluxe wooden in Malibest resort for 2 night.. The location is ok, it's located on beach, near to restaurant n shopping place.. The one I disappointed was room cleanliness.. The room was sandy, when I stepped in room, the floor was sandy, even my bed also a bit sandy.. Second day after the cleaner cleaned my room, my room still sandy, it's not made by me.. I was very uncomfortable with sandy room..

• Stayed July 2013
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

This hotel has the perfect location which is right in the heart of Pantai Cenang. It is surrounded by activity, right where the action is. Just step out the door and there you find food, shopping, and even the most amazing chill-out beach bar just a few steps away.
I was a tad disappointed that I did not get the beach front room, however, and was shown across the road to albeit larger rooms, but not on the sands. I was not aware that there was a different section of Malibest when booking online and had assumed that all it's rooms were on the beach. The room that I was in was quite large but the bathroom left much to be desired. The shower was extremely weak and lukewarm, the towels provided were stringy and old, and I kept expecting something to crawl out of the gaping drainpipe.
However, the beds were very comfortable and the air-conditioning worked perfectly. The fridge was dead though.
All in all, a pleasant place and good for group holidays.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

As I read in other reviews, the problems I faced look quite common.
Let's say that the location is great and also the room we booked (the tree house) was nice.
What really pissed me off is the management: I booked it first for a weekend in May. Due to some unpredictable working events, I had to change the booking.
It looked like the most difficult thing to get: they didn't want to cancel my booking refunding the down payment (it was asked more than 3 weeks before the booked date) - fine as it is their company policy - but they didn't even want to change my booking to a different date !! In their opinion, or accordingly to their policy, I should have lost the non refundable/non amendable booking and pay again for the new dates.
I started sending emails clarifying that this policy is unfair and goes against any law/any hotel policy in the world and I promised them a negative review here on Tripadvisor.
After my comments they did a special amendment, only for this time, and we changed our travel dates.

When I have got there last weekend I did not expect to be in a 5 star hotel, but I was expecting at least a basic service.
On Saturday morning the people came to knock the door at 9.10 am for cleaning the room. Something like this never happened to me in any of the single hotels I have been staying around the world (I travel every single week of the year for work): how come that people come to wake you up at 9.10 am on Saturday, when you are on holiday ??!!
I could not even put the "please do not disturb" board at the door handle because.... it wasn't there....
Anyway after I told these ladies to come back later, we woke up, left the hotel without having breakfast - as it didn't look so good - and we went out for all the day.
When we came back at night time, room was exacting as we left it, not cleaned.

We did not complain as it is pointless, we just checked out and left: we tried to talk with the people at the desk many times in the past (I live in Kuala Lumpur and I have a friend who lives in Langkawi, I go there at least 10 times every year) but they do not know how to treat guests and how to manage problems or also not ordinary questions.

Last but not least, it is not cheap. 260 Ringgit means 65 Euro per night. Ok it is the most expensive room in the hotel but it should be priced half. 30/35 Euro per room per night would be fine, but 65 just for a bed and a bathroom is a waste.
The problem in Langkawi is that the nice places are very expensive and the middle priced ones are very basic.

Anyway I will not go there anymore.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

Regular customer, although it is not luxury environment but it locate at the good spot in Langkawi. The resort beach area is beautiful and clean. Due to locate at the beach-front, room is sandy cause of ourselves! Water heater and air-condition are provided.

Room Tip: Good spot in Langkawi
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

Located at the best spot of Pantai Cenang. One of the most preferable resort among the tourists, so the check-in queue is expected. The room is clean, comfortable and meet my expectation.

The resort's beach area is beautiful, clean, calming with lots of tree. The beach is 10 steps away from your doorways and walking distance to souvenir shops, massage parlor, bars etc.

Remember this is Langkawi and with the amount of money you pay, its location which is right in the middle of the best part of the beach, clean,spacious and comfortable air-cond room..it is very difficult to fault this resort. Best value for budget traveler.

Please manage your expectation and do not expect 5 stars luxury personalize treatment in Malibest or else the likes of Casa Del Mar and Bon Ton resort would probably suit you better.

Highly recommended.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Prices are for rooms, adults

Been to Malibest Resort? Share your experiences!