“Excellent location, awesome sea view, but average hotel” 3 of 5 stars

Best Star Resort
Lot PT 892, Jalan Pantai Cenang, Mk Kedawang, Langkawi 07100 , Malaysia   |
Ranked #43 of 98 hotels in Langkawi
Penang, Pulau Pinang, Malaysia
“Excellent location, awesome sea view, but average hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

My first impression was -- the hotel is kinda old. Anyway, as of September 2013, some parts of the hotel are under renovation, hopefully we can see some new design on the hotel as a whole in the future.

I prepaid the deposit via online banking transfer and I've furnished the transaction reference number via email a day before. Upon arrival, the receptionist insisted a printed document (bank in slip) to confirm our payment, even though I have furnished the reference number. The receptionist refused to check us in and asked us to go to a nearby internet cafe to print it out. I have to say although it was partly my fault, but I think the hotel could have done a better job on not dragging our check in time.

Nonetheless, the receptionist and the reservation personnel have been quite helpful during the reservation process. They responded my email very promptly (but sadly, except the final confirmation email, which caused the above mentioned ding-dong)

I like the bed and I had a great sleep, but the shower heater wasn't hot enough for me (I have to pump "smaller" water to get my intended temperature). The room is slightly old. Other than that, I have no other comment/ complaint on the room.

Excellent location along Pantai Cenang. Various restaurants, pubs, shops, night market stores, and most importantly -- the beach. If location is your top consideration, try this hotel. However, it could be a bit noisy at night, especially if your room is just beside the beach.

Breakfast is so so, except for the omelette (which is awesome). Anyway, I'm not a breakfast person, so you can ignore my comment.

Parking space "might" be a problem, but we were lucky enough to get a space everytime we're back to hotel.

Overall, for RM170 per night during a public holiday, I couldn't complain much. For the location and the nice sleep, I still think it is worthwhile.

• Stayed September 2013

152 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013 via mobile

Rooms are cheap and cozy. The services are excellent. The foods are good too. And the beach is clean and very easy to get there. The resort is near to anywhere. I'll be back. P.S : very recommended resort for you.

• Stayed January 2013
Alor Setar, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

Price is a bit expensive since the resort is located at Cenang beach. Breakfast is so-so with few choices of food. Location of the resort is superb ! Receptionist not so friendly. There are many attractions nearby , just a walking distance to Underwater World Langkawi, Cenang Mall and Duty Free Shops. many restaurants nearby with lots of choices for Malay, Chinese , Indian, Siamese , Western & Japanese foods. You also have a lot of choices to book for island tour at the agent office along the road.

• Stayed September 2013
Newcastle, NSW
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

We were a little shocked when we arrived at this hotel in the dark as the front was a construction site, however, once past the renovations at the front things improved. This hotel is tired and old, but the location right on the beach is fantastic. The staff are friendly and helpful. The first room we had was at the front of the building with a view of the construction going on outside where work started at 8.30 which didn't bother us but could be annoying if you wanted to sleep late. We moved to a beachfront room after a couple of nights which had a balcony and was much larger. We njiyed this more expensive room much more and the only gripe was that the shower over the bath didn't have a shower curtain which meant that water went everywhere. The restaurant opens right onto the beach, but as we didn't eat there I can't coment on the food. This is not really a resort and is a bit worn around d the edges, but our stay was pleasant and I'd be happy to return to one of the sea front rooms.

Room Tip: Choose a sea front room. Sec d floor have balconies, while ground floor open right onto the beach.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

We stayed 2 nights in the hotel. The beach is just few steps away from room, you can see it from the room, and watch sunset too. The sea water is crystal clear especially in the morning, I really enjoyed the sea bath every morning and evening!
However, don't expect for 'best star' of the rooms. There is no hair dryer provided, room light is too soft for makeup and shaving, the floor and carpet is very sandy as the staff are not really clean it up by using vacuum cleaner and mop. They just sweep it. Our foot was all time dirty when staying in the room.
Location is good as the whole street is restaurants and hawkers. Shops selling swim wear and souvenir are everywhere. Easy to call the cap too.
Next time will consider to stay in this hotel again but must bring a hair dryer.

• Stayed August 2013
Hyderabad, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

We stayed at Best star resort for 3 days , and our stay was very pleasant. Obviously it is not the 'best' of 'star' hotels nor is it like a complete 'resort' , but the fact that it is nicely located on the best beach of Langkawi makes the lodgers happily accessible to all the happening sea sports on the beach.

There is market road just behind the resort that has restaurants of all types of cuisines in the world and small little shops from where you would wanna buy some inexpensive but cool stuff for yor family and friends.

Breakfast was served early in the morning from 7AM onwards , it was nice but very basic.

There is a restaurant just beside the resort called 'Tomato'. If you are Indian you will just love the food there, it was very inpensive and tasted just like home food. Another beach facing coffee house just next to the resort is a great place to relax , sip coffee and watch that sun go beautifully down the sea. It is the best place to spend your evening.

All the island trips and other adventure trips are also accessible easily. There are many stalls around that place that sell these trips , just find out the cheapest one among them and you are ready to go . :)

Dont miss out on the Under Water World that is located just half KM away from the resort. If you have never been to one then it is worth a visit.

To sum it up: It is a nice place to stay, even budget-wise compared to the other resorts in that area.

Room Tip: Book atleast a month in advance. Try to get a beach facing room ( Though I havent stayed in one).
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

We were terrified by the hotel when we reached. We couldn't believe this was the hotel that we booked,it was so run down and look like a ghost hotel. The front yard of the hotel is having renovation but I did not see any renovating activities going on. Maybe it's holiday in Malaysia! The tv channel is limited, air cond not cold, the bathroom is creeky. Tap water is running like I pee. Cracked basin, bad room service,no toothpaste, no hairdryer. Limited variety of breakfast. I couldnt sleep well because the room is not sound proof. This hotel is not really cheap consider in malaysia, and with that price i can get a better hotel. I wish I can get back my MONEY! Worst experience!

• Stayed August 2013

Been to Best Star Resort? Share your experiences!