“Good spacious room, Nice resort, lovely breakfast” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Langkawi Lagoon Resort

You added Langkawi Lagoon Resort to your Saves list
Langkawi Lagoon Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   Lot 78, Jalan Kuala Muda | Padang Matsirat, Langkawi 07100, Malaysia   |
Ranked #35 of 96 Hotels in Langkawi
Mumbai (Bombay), India
“Good spacious room, Nice resort, lovely breakfast”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Rooms are big and spacious. Very comfy bed, good clean linen. All necessary amenities were provided. Do not buy water from the hotel it costs 8RM for a tiny bottle of 500ml. 2 complimentary bottles of water are provided but if you think you need more buy them from 7eleven or other stores.

We had taken the Mountain View Room ...not much to see to be frank. The beach at the resort is also not that pleasant, I don't think one can really swim or do any water sports there. Although, its nice to go for an evening sunset walk there. Swimming pool is very nice. We enjoyed breakfast there...good selection.

Kuah is about 30-45 mins drive away from resort. You can do some duty free shopping here, visit the Eagle Statue. Langkawi cable car, Oriental Village and Seven wells waterfall are about 15 mins drive from the resort. These things you can do on your own, you don't require guided tours. We tried the Mangrove Tour which was interesting. Pantai Cenang which is 10-15 mins drive away has plenty of day and night markets for shopping, food stalls and restaurants (go for seafood only) and many spas. If you are the type of person who would hang out most of the time on the beach then this resort becomes a bit far.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Singapore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

We booked 4 suites on the sea village 29th Dec'12 to 1st Jan'13 & made the worst choice ever.
This hotel can easily be called one of the worst resort in Langkawi.

1) Horrible customer service:

I did a triple confirmation with the hotel prior to arrival & made my requests for early check in, sea view rooms, airport pickup, extra beds & baby cot in the rooms which was readily promised by a staff called Dilla.

Upon arrival at 12pm, we were picked up by 1 mini bus driver when I specifically requested for 2 mini vans as we had a huge group of 10. Driver tried unsuccessfully to squeeze in our luggages & all of us in one van but its just impossible so he said he will send us in2 batches. Fine, it was the start of our trip so we went along with it without any complains. He dropped The first group of us at the wrong location! We were supposed to go to Langkawi Langoon but instead driver sent us to the pier to rebak island! I told him its the wrong place & he said he will pick up the 2nd group to meet us first & went off, but he. Should just send the 2nd group to the damn lagoon resort first instead of making another wrong trip!

We arrived at the hotel finally at 1:30pm (1 hr after arrival when the trip should actually be less then 10 mins) But that is just the start to our disastrous stay at this resort. Apparently Dilla went on leave & nobody knows about our requests at all. Great, so I spoke to the front staff & showed her the printed out proof of my correspondence with Dilla & she said "Room not ready yet, after 3pm" so we went for lunch at the hotel's Arabic restaurant. Food here was good but staff can't be bothered with serving you & instead prefer to stare into space. Food came in huge portions. HUGE. Advice order 1 dish for 2 to share.

After lunch, went back to the front counter at 3pm & guess what "Room not ready yet, I told you after 3pm" (in a irritated tone) ok fine, we sat in the lobby to wait for room. 3:30pm "Room not ready yet!" & I reminded her that it is NOW after 3pm & all the lady staff said was I let u know & I overheard her telling her colleague that we are very "biseng" in Malay which means noisy or irritating, tat was it I walked back & told her we are not biseng, we only want the rooms we paid for. And she turned around & ignored me. Our suites come 1 by 1 so we were moved from room to room until finally all 4 rooms were given to us, it was nearly 5pm.

2) Rooms: Sea view Deluxe studio suite & studio suite on the sea village

Very dated, old furnishings, yellowed curtains, stained sofas, bed sheets & lamp shades. Definitely. Definitely NOT 4 star, close to a 3 star. Toilets were all pretty clean & looks newly renovated, we all agree the toilets were the best part of the suites.... 2 rooms had broken air cons which leaked & blew hot air but luckily were quickly fixed by the friendly repair guys. Sliding doors were all damaged, screeching whenever we moved them. On the last night of our stay we totally could not close 1 side of the sliding door. Definition of sea view means as long as you see the sea, it's sea view. We had no view, the only "sea view" was seeing the sea Water between the stilts under our suite. Be prepared for lots & lots of Mosquitos & flies especially in the toilet. Stand out on the balcony & you smell a salty, fishy & at low tide a slight pungent mangrove smell. I was ready for it so it was ok for me. We had to fight with the front counter for a baby cot despite having requested it 2 mths earlier & best of all totally no extra beds were given to us as promised.

3) Food: Breakfast was not very nice other then the omelet & Prata. Insist on getting the freshly cooked prata, they are pretty good. Didn't try the curry for Prata as I prefer it with sugar. Omelet was tasty & served quickly. Not a good variety of food, son said sausage tasted weird, chicken porridge was tasty, cold milk for cereal was not cold...it was room temperature which was terrible. Ala carte food & room service food was pretty good, Anjung beef burger was our favourite & nasi gorengs were pretty good. Restaurant staff always gives the wrong information, said garlic bread is served 1 to 2 pieces but came 6pcs each serving we order 2 sets (12pcs) for 4 pax, oh well. Nobody bothered to collect our used plates which was placed outside until we check out, luckily some wild animal cleared the plates of all edible food before it started to decompose. We had a pretty fun time betting on the status of our dirty room service plates which was placed right outside our door.

4) Pool & beach:

Ok, just a friendly information to all. The toilets in all the sea village suites had bath water & god knows what leaking into the sea water which is right infringing of the resorts private beach. We checked daily & noticed no guest swam or sun bath at the beach thru out our 4 days stay. Water was murky green & smells a little fishy with lots of rocks on the sea bed. Pool was really nice & we tried not to look at the rubbish stuck under the bridge over the pool. It was during the peak season so no seats, no towels & no bar staff. We gave our pool towel card to the staff & were told "10 mins later I give to you" but we swam for nearly an hour and guess what no towels. We walked back to our room soaking wet. Bar staff Disappeared for over half an hour so we gave up on ordering any drinks. No champagne by the glass & didn't see any wine in the pool bar menu.

5) On the 2nd day of our stay, we saw animal poo along the walkway at the sea village. We highly suspected it was from that very kind animal who cleared our room service plate.... But well we told the staff but the bits & pcs of poo stayed there until the very morning we left.

6) Check your final bill during check out!
We were charged for the extra trips that the driver made to the rebak island pier on our first day & we had to fight for the charges to be taken out of our bill. Our flight was at 8:55am & we s
Went to check out at 6:30am & was told we can't check out as the staff for check out will only arrive after 7am. What the! So our transport arrived & everyone waited for the cashier who finally made a slow entrance strolling to the office at 7am. We finally checked out at 7:30am.

My advise, go for other hotels & read the reviews carefully. Langkawi's Cenang beach was not what we had expected as well. Grey sand mixed with light yellow sand, murky green sea water, beaches can only accessed by crossing thru some random resort, motel or restaurant. Lots of trash on beach. Underwater world was really nice, totally unexpected & a good surprise. We loved it & absoltuely recommend a visit.

Room Tip: Not recommended to stay here. At all. Period.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Brisbane, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012 via mobile

Rude front line staff, definitely not a 5 star or even a 4 star hotel. The air con was not working and there were cockroaches and ants in the room. Extremely run down hotel. Poor breakfast service, we had to fight for our table because the waitress told us to find our own table. Very disappointed with this hotel, I will never stay here ever again.

• Stayed December 2012
Mumbai (Bombay), India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

If I had to deal with some of the rough edges of customer experiences listed below in one of the metro cities around the world, I would have possibly rated the hotel a 2. I do rate this higher, because given its location, one expects the venue and view to be the differentiators rather than the service. And they certainly are.

On our day of departure, the hotel staff was great to give us a drop to the airport in a courtesy van and thus helped us make our flight on time. BUT..... this was after they failed to get us the van that they committed to organize, and I blew my top. On the previous day, I had checked with the Hotel twilce through the day and they had committed that they would arrange for a van (to be paid by us). On the morning of departure, they kept telling us that a van was coming and it would come in 3 mins - and in the process our departure was delayed and flight at risk. Only towards the end did somebody tell us that they don't actually book a van. They just write down the expectations (and perhaps offer a prayer to god) and expect to match the taxis outside to customer needs. The staff member who dropped us in the Van explicitly expected us to Thank him, while I wondered as to why they couldn't have saved everybody grief by telling us to manage our transport. We could very well have arranged this ourselves - see last Paragraph - we did manage to get from the airport to the hotel by ourselves.

The staff was also nice to allow us an early check-in at 1300 against there stated policy of 1500, BUT.......there was no check-in time listed on our booking (I would blame that on the reseller). We arrived at 1130 or so, and the staff had us fill the paperwork, and then told us to take a seat to serve welcome drink. I made the mistake of presuming that that meant the rooms would be handed shortly. It was only when I checked 30 min later, that the staff actually pointed me (rather than explain) to a prominent notice (I admit my failure to read) at reception announcing that the check-in was at 1500. I offered to pay for the extra time to get an early check-in, and only then some other more trained staff member jumped in to say that they would do their best to get us in the room early. So we went off for lunch and they did have the room ready soon. Incidentally on the day we checked-out, we did notice that some 4 other rooms vacated at the same time we did which was 0730 in the morn.

The Hotel does have a great view of the Sea and has a sandy front. BUT... its not a beach. You cannot swim or walk in the water. The hotel in passing calls it breakwater, but I would call it a marsh at best. At low tide, it is very dirty & grimy, almost quicksand. At high tide, you could do a paddle boat or jet ski - but not swim.

The hotel has a small open air bar/cafe on this sandy front. BUT..... the Margarita I had here was the wateriest Margarita I have ever had in my life. The only food they had was a Pizza, which had a burnt thick crust (thin is not an option) and had far too much Ketchup layered on. Moreover this bar plays 70s/80s Pop (Kenny Rogers, Abba variety) at a ear-deafening volume. A volume which may be suitable to play techno or hard rock in a discotheque or in a concert and not for a relaxing evening with a drink on the beach. It took us several requests to have this volume reduced to a more tolerable level on a day when we were the only patrons at the bar.

The Hotel has another restaurant next to the pool in the main building. The buffet breakfast(included, for us) was served here and had pretty good spread catering to all needs. The A La Carte menu is limited - and if you are vegetarian has a choice of 2-3 items. However, I did notice the restaurant staff ask a variety of questions to understand the dietary needs of the patrons and try to customize food accordingly.

There is also a decent, if tad expensive Arabic Restaurant next door which serves Kebabs & Biryani.

The Hotel has a nifty swimming pool. But with most of the women wearing Islamic Swim Suits, and even men wearing T-Shirts and Longish shorts to the pool - somebody wearing even a modest swimsuit (trunks or single-piece, forget briefs or bikinis) is bound to feel as if (s)he is out of place.

We paid for two full sea-view rooms. One of the rooms (238) we got had a fabulous view - with the sea on one side, and an un-obstructed view of the mountain (which has cable car) on the other. The other room had trees slightly obstructing the sea view. Its nevertheless very peaceful to be able to sit in your balcony and watch the sun-set.

We had asked for a room with twin beds (two single beds) and one with king/queen (one large). Both the rooms we got had two twin beds pulled together. This joining together in lieu of a king/queen bed does create problems for the back and a very un-even sleeping experience. For the room that we sought separate beds in, we were told that in one of the rooms the staff would come in & separate the bed, though that never happened. To be fair, we did not remind them either.

The room does have a hot-plate, micro-wave and a small fridge if you desire to cook. There were no utensils - perhaps are provided on asking. We did not plan to cook, hence did not check. Tea/Coffee bag replenishment for the kettle also tends to happen only when its sought.

Room service is charged at a premium comparable to the norm one expects in 4 star hotels. As an example, ordinary bottled water which is probably 1.5 RM on the street is 5 RM in the restaurant and 8 RM if ordered in room. The hotel does provide two bottles of waters as courtesy - again fairly normal practice in most Asian hotels.

The Hotel does have free wifi access to internet in the lobby which is very nice. In room internet is 25 RM a day.

As one of our Taxi drivers told us, the hotel primarily caters to the Middle-Eastern tourists and is more likely geared to address the expectations of this group. Indian or Western tourists may feel slightly out of place here - each for their own reasons.

The Hotel is located close to the Airport (5 mins) and relatively far (25-30 mins) from the shopping in Kuah town or the Geopark entry along Kilim River. Its relatively close (10-12 mins) to the beaches of Pantai Cenang (busiest beach, has water sports) and Pantai Kok (no swimming possible, has Jelly fish). The most scenic beach and also the least populated beach is perhaps the Tenjung Rhu - which is about 25-30 mins away. The Cable Car - one of the prime tourist attractions in Langkawi is also reasonably close.

Not related to the Hotel, but Langkawi does not have a public transport. Its taxi's are not metered, though they do have set / published fairs for point to point. Example, for a Taxi (max 4 people, 2 bags) Airport-Hotel is 10 RM, Hotel-Pantai Cenang is 18 RM, Hotel-Kuah is 24 RM. I was toldthat it could be difficult to get a Taxi from a tourist spot such as Cable Car, Geopark or Tenjung Rhu beach. Its common to rent a taxi for 25 RM a hour (min 4 hours). The taxi drivers try their best to be your guides, though they are not trained and have only learned on the job. Do expect the taxi drivers to try to sell you the idea of booking him for the next day. But I did not see any attempt to fleece - by any of the various taxis we used. Its possible to rent a car or bike if you are so inclined - the costs were lower, but we preferred the comfort of having a local citizen drive us around.

Room Tip: Room 238 or the one above it for getting the sea and the mountain view.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

nice staying with the welcoming drinks after arriving.. also have buggy to send me to have a spa.. have a pleasant holiday..! i love this resort but their meals quite salty.. my children also have a fun by swimming with the nice n warming guard.. they also have rabbit farm outside. but it's look like not manage well. poor the rabbits.. i love one thing with their welcoming guest n smiling in their face everyday..

Room Tip: Choosing room facing a beach..it's really a beatiful view!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Jakarta
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

I bought a voucher from local provider that gave 50% off to stay 4 days and 3 nights at Langkawi Lagoon. Looking at their website, it was stated as a 5 star Hotel with a great view. First, they did not provide a free transfer from airport to hotel which was very near (less than 5 minutes travel time using car). The taxi we use from the airport was VERY EXPENSIVE.

When we arrived at the Hotel, there was a difficulty in checking in. They asked for a guarantee money and since I didn't bring much cash, I pay with credit card. There was a difficulty in doing the transaction so they asked me to sit down while they keep on trying. Although it was not confirmed, but I think my credit card number was stolen at that time because it was the only time I left my credit card unsupervised. About two months later I got a call from the credit card provider that my card was being used to purchase an airplane ticket through internet. The location was from Malaysia. Once again, although I cannot confirmed who stole my credit card number along with the CVV, just be careful. Difficulty of doing transaction using credit card was experienced almost everyday during my stay there. One time, they have to do it in an old way (not using the EDC machine).

The Hotel itself actually has a good scenery to the beach. But the condition of facilities were somewhat poor. There were dust and spider webs. Another good thing was the apple pie was very nice although quite expensive.

I also booked a tour at the Hotel. On the day of the tour, I was waiting for half an hour until finally they said I cannot go due to bad weather. I wish they told me earlier and didn't keep me waiting for that long.

The people were quite friendly but not informative and according to my standard lack of hospitality skill.

Overall, I will not recommend this Hotel to anyone who wants to visit Langkawi.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

My family stayed here in hotel this november 2012. I booked this hotel from WOITF and it said we can have good view, free wifi and free return transfer from hotel. Before I arrived Langkawi, I called hotel from Australia for requesting free transfortation service from air port. The receptionist said I should write e-mail to her not by call. What the!!! She was on the phone and she asked me send e-mail to her. I send e-mail and wait for confirmation letter as I requested. But there is no call and no show at air port. Luckly, we brought international licence and we rented a car at air port. When we arrived hotel, receptionist said there is no good view room and wait until tomorrow morning. We asked "can you gurantee good view room tomorrow?" she said " there is no gurantee unless you pay another 50riggt per night" We showed her our booking paper and she kepy saying depend on arrival. My husband were so angry and he asked we just need twin beds. But she said there is no twin bed room and asked us wait tomorrow. We were tired and we just wanted to go to room and my husband need to send urgent paper to his company, so he asked free wifi. SHE said there is free wifi only at lobby and if we want to use wifi in our room, we need pay it.. I paid $145(AU per night) and I got nothing. I would rather to stay another 3 star hotel and extra wifi fee. We are traveling a lot and I can say this hotel staff doesn't know what customer service. It is worst hotel I ever been.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to Langkawi Lagoon Resort? Share your experiences!