“A piece of Paradise” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 98 Hotels in Langkawi
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“A piece of Paradise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

we stayed at this hotel for 2 nights with my friends. lovely environment. clean and comfortable rooms. very relaxing with nice and helpful staff. scenery is unforgettable. special thanks to Mr Loo Paul the security manager of the resort.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014 via mobile

Stay here for 3 nights on July 2014. Room is big, nice view (I have ocean view). Some improve on bathroom amenities is needed (I need to use my own). Staff are friendly but sometimes too friendly that made me feel a bit uncomfortable. The ride to the island is really fun. Swimming pool is clean and nice, food is ok. Beach is under expectation, I thought water in the island is better but not really, some tells this season the quality of water is not that good in the whole Langkawi.
I don't why I cannot get a lot of good photos, maybe the location of the island and the amount of sunlight the island is getting or maybe I'm not that good.
The down size, public toilet in between restaurant and receptionist is smelling and the design is really bad when you opens the door it's very difficult to go in (I'm average Asian size) don't know how the European can enter that toilet.

Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

I stayed at this hotel with 3 girlfriends for a girlie break away from the rat race for the weekend.

Firstly - the staff were wonderful, very accommodating (allowed us to have a late checkout at 3pm, free of charge). The transfers from airport to harbour to hotel were also very efficient and courteous.

Hotel itself was lovely. A little shabby round the edges, but clean and good facilities. The nightlife didn't really happen - which was fine for us as we didn't want crazy nights - but there wasn't much atmosphere past 9pm. People seemed to eat quite early too - there were a few families so that could be why.

The pool was great. Sunken pool bar which was brilliant - haven't seen one of those in a few years! The beach was lovely but we didn't stray far from the pool. One of us went for a dip in the sea but it was a bit dirty apparently.

Our rooms were perfectly facilitated. Tea/coffee making, double sinks in the ENORMOUS bathroom and the beds were also huge and very comfy. Air conditioning worked perfectly and the rooms were cleaned beautifully. I would bring your own hair dryer though if you need to style your hair properly - the ones on the bathroom wall weren't great.

Food was delicious. We stuck to the buffet for most meals and had lunch by the pool. Excellent choice and a good mix of world cuisines - all done well - which is unusual.

I recommend this highly for a quick break in a safe, clean hotel with lovely staff and good food. If you want luxury or a happening nightlife, stay elsewhere - but this place is great. We loved it.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014 via mobile

This is a perfect getaway from the busy city life. Located on a private island this is a perfect honeymoon getaway.

We stayed from 9th June -13th June 2014 & enjoyed our stay !
The only sad part is that their last complimentary boat service is @ 7:45pm from port langkawi to Rebak Island, which makes it impossible for anyone to explore dining options on port langkawi. Also the AC in the room was not functioning well in spite of repeated complaints.

From the hotel sources, the last complimentary boat leaves at 8:30pm, though this is not officially disclosed to guest.

• Stayed June 2014
East Molesey, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

I have to say this was one of the most relaxing breaks I have had for some time. We were met at the airport and then transferred by speed boat to Rebak Island. I read some of the TA reviews on here and that was a great assistance in making our choice. Ok you are on the flight path but planes are on finals before landing and from when you hear them to when they disppear is only 20 seconds - I actually quite enjoyed watching them. We had beach side room, ground floor and the view across to Langkawi was superb, although other parts of the estate looked good too. Management and staff were all fantastic and food choice at breakfast and dinner excellent. I read about the ferry service stopping circa 7.30pm but quite frankly Langkawi seafront did not appeal to me, although can understand the younger set finding this a bit frustrating. I also read about the boat people (the island has a marina) using the hotel facilities but this did not really affect us as the boating season is more October to March. Will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Select sea front.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

They really weren't kidding about the service level of this resort; it is indeed exceptional! From the pick-up to our departure, we have nothing but compliments for all the service staff, especially to the manager, Loo Paul.

Loo is such a sweet fatherly figure. We rented a car to explore the main island on the second day and Loo, like a concerned father, gave us some pointers and things we need to look out for.

The resort is located offshore and you'd need to take a ferry from Port Langkasuka, but it's relatively easy and fuss-free. In addition, they have regular ferry frequency (once an hour) and it's complimentary for guests at the resort. However, do note that their last ferry leave Port Langkasuka at 7pm on normal days and 8.45pm during the Ramadan month. The ferry will leave on schedule and on time. Do not miss the last ferry, otherwise, the charges to get back to the island are exorbitant.

All the staff were helpful and would really go all the way out to assist you. There was once where we were sitting at the bar for a drink and I got bitten by so many mosquitoes on my legs. Seeing that I was scratching away, one of the staff came up to me with a bottle of some sort of oil and advised me to apply it on the bites to soothe the itchiness.

Although the room is equipped with a small indoor electric mosquito killer, it is highly advisable to bring along some mosquito coils to burn in the room and balcony. We were bitten quite badly in the middle of the night even though we switched on the air-conditioner in the room. Mosquito repellent spray is also highly recommended if you intend to explore the nature in the island or on the main island. The mosquitoes are rather rampant there.

In terms of the room, it'd probably need some refurbishing. The pipe of our bathtub was leaking whenever it was turned on and the toilet bowl was clogged on an occasion.

Other than that, we definitely had a wonderful stay and would certainly return again.

Room Tip: Get a room facing the sea with a balcony
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Adelaide, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

In a word this hotel is OVERRATED. It is not five star.

Gimmicks such as the ferry to the private island and golf cart from the marina to the reception area try to give the impression of luxury resort but it was soon apparent this was just a facade to an overpriced, average quality hotel.

First up, travelling with my wife and baby daughter on our first overseas holiday together we specifically requested a room with a separate living area to allow one of us to sleep in as our daughter is an early riser, and we agreed to pay a premium for this above the price of a standard room. We were checked into a room which was quite spacious and had an open plan lounge and dining but no door separating this area from the bedroom despite our request?? We raised this with the hotel and was advised that we were given the wrong information as none of their rooms have this layout. We told them that the room we were booked into provided no benefit to us as the there was no separation between the living and bedroom and asked if we could change to a standard room. The hotel advised we could move into a smaller room without a lounge but as we had already checked in a refund on the difference in room rates was not possible. Unhappy with this level of customer service we contacted our travel agent who agreed with our position and took up discussions with the hotel on our behalf.

With two days of our 5 day stay left to go we were advised by our travel agent that the hotel was willing to move us into a room which met our requirements at no extra charge. When we approached the reception about this we were advised this was not possible!!

The finish of the room was certainly not five star. Really basic things like rough painting adjacent to the airconditioning unit and exposed fans covers do not give a good impression and detract from the overall appearance of the room. Also while recovering some of my daughters toys from under the bed I discovered exposed electrical wiring from what appears to be the room below.
The food in the restaurant was only OK. (I should note one meal was so bad it had to be returned, but otherwise it was acceptable) Unfortunately this is the only place to eat in the resort. There are options available on the main island but the hotel management have made it near impossible to eat dinner elsewhere. The main strip of restaurants is approx 15-20min from the ferry port by taxi. Most restaurants open at 7pm and the last ferry back (with having to pay an extortionate fee) is 7:45pm so basically you would have about 20min to eat before you would need to leave to get back to the island in time.
The service in restaurant was slow. One evening we were the first guests to sit down when it opened for dinner service, then having to wait over 25min for a kids meal. For anyone reading this that has kids this is a long time to wait for a tired, hungry toddler.

The service of the hotel in general was also quite inefficient. There was a permanent light on above the staircase to our room. At night this shined straight through the bathroom window and through the glassed door between the bathroom and our bedroom. On the first evening we called and asked for this light to be turned off. 3 phone calls and two visit later the light was finally switched off. The next night the light was back on again requiring us to go through the same carry on.

Upon checking out I asked the reception how I could provide feedback on stay. I was advised that I would be sent a survey to complete via email. I’m still waiting. Before boarding the ferry to leave our friendly golf cart driver asked how our stay was. He was the only employee during the entire visit to ask us this. I have no idea if the hotel had a manager as I certainly was never approached during our stay.

A week or two after returning home from our trip our travel agent had obtained a copy of the room layout from the hotel for the room we should have been staying in. This layout DID have a door to separate the living and bedroom but was completely different to the room we stayed in. Despite forwarding images of the room we were in the hotel refused to acknowledge any wrongdoing and therefore any compensation/ refund for the problem during our stay. To our travel agent’s credit, they refunded the difference of the suite out of their own pocket.

I will never stay in a Taj hotel and will recommend all friends, family to do the same to avoid disappointment.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Been to Vivanta by Taj Rebak Island, Langkawi? Share your experiences!