“Overrated” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 99 Hotels in Langkawi
Adelaide, Australia
“Overrated”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

In a word this hotel is OVERRATED. It is not five star.

Gimmicks such as the ferry to the private island and golf cart from the marina to the reception area try to give the impression of luxury resort but it was soon apparent this was just a facade to an overpriced, average quality hotel.

First up, travelling with my wife and baby daughter on our first overseas holiday together we specifically requested a room with a separate living area to allow one of us to sleep in as our daughter is an early riser, and we agreed to pay a premium for this above the price of a standard room. We were checked into a room which was quite spacious and had an open plan lounge and dining but no door separating this area from the bedroom despite our request?? We raised this with the hotel and was advised that we were given the wrong information as none of their rooms have this layout. We told them that the room we were booked into provided no benefit to us as the there was no separation between the living and bedroom and asked if we could change to a standard room. The hotel advised we could move into a smaller room without a lounge but as we had already checked in a refund on the difference in room rates was not possible. Unhappy with this level of customer service we contacted our travel agent who agreed with our position and took up discussions with the hotel on our behalf.

With two days of our 5 day stay left to go we were advised by our travel agent that the hotel was willing to move us into a room which met our requirements at no extra charge. When we approached the reception about this we were advised this was not possible!!

The finish of the room was certainly not five star. Really basic things like rough painting adjacent to the airconditioning unit and exposed fans covers do not give a good impression and detract from the overall appearance of the room. Also while recovering some of my daughters toys from under the bed I discovered exposed electrical wiring from what appears to be the room below.
The food in the restaurant was only OK. (I should note one meal was so bad it had to be returned, but otherwise it was acceptable) Unfortunately this is the only place to eat in the resort. There are options available on the main island but the hotel management have made it near impossible to eat dinner elsewhere. The main strip of restaurants is approx 15-20min from the ferry port by taxi. Most restaurants open at 7pm and the last ferry back (with having to pay an extortionate fee) is 7:45pm so basically you would have about 20min to eat before you would need to leave to get back to the island in time.
The service in restaurant was slow. One evening we were the first guests to sit down when it opened for dinner service, then having to wait over 25min for a kids meal. For anyone reading this that has kids this is a long time to wait for a tired, hungry toddler.

The service of the hotel in general was also quite inefficient. There was a permanent light on above the staircase to our room. At night this shined straight through the bathroom window and through the glassed door between the bathroom and our bedroom. On the first evening we called and asked for this light to be turned off. 3 phone calls and two visit later the light was finally switched off. The next night the light was back on again requiring us to go through the same carry on.

Upon checking out I asked the reception how I could provide feedback on stay. I was advised that I would be sent a survey to complete via email. I’m still waiting. Before boarding the ferry to leave our friendly golf cart driver asked how our stay was. He was the only employee during the entire visit to ask us this. I have no idea if the hotel had a manager as I certainly was never approached during our stay.

A week or two after returning home from our trip our travel agent had obtained a copy of the room layout from the hotel for the room we should have been staying in. This layout DID have a door to separate the living and bedroom but was completely different to the room we stayed in. Despite forwarding images of the room we were in the hotel refused to acknowledge any wrongdoing and therefore any compensation/ refund for the problem during our stay. To our travel agent’s credit, they refunded the difference of the suite out of their own pocket.

I will never stay in a Taj hotel and will recommend all friends, family to do the same to avoid disappointment.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (310)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

I stayed here over a long weekend with my fiancé to celebrate her birthday. We live in Singapore and it couldn't have been easier from the start. A taxi picked us up after our 1 hour flight and took us to the speedboat in less than 10 minutes from the airport. 20 minutes later we were on the island.

The staff were so friendly and hospitable. They went out of their way to look after everyone, always with a smile. I had given them the heads up that it was my fiancé birthday on the Sunday and they couldn't have made it more of a special evening with a cake and someone come over and sing happy birthday as well as little touches that made for an incredible experience.

The food was delicious and the breakfast was a particular highlight every day. For dinner, I recommend one of the many curries, absolutely delicious!

The resort has a really relaxed atmosphere with a lovely bay/beach, great pool and numerous comfy loungers to relax and enjoy.

The room was fantastic with a lovely colonial feel to it with the wooden interior but hard and sturdy brick and mortar appearance. We were facing the ocean and gardens and had a lovely view out across the beautiful bay. The bed was comfy and bathroom was spacious and well laid out with a bath or shower option. What struck me with the room was the spacious feel to it with a lovely balcony to read a relax on.

To sum up, we loved our stay here and will be back for sure. The main reason, the staff, excellent service and relaxed atmosphere.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

We stayed at Rabak Island at Vivanta by Taj! I have several food intolerances and the catered to my needs, thanks Hilum. The daily activities are amazing esp Selva Langkavi and his wealth of knowledge and adventures he offers. And not to mention Kabir our room service- his lovely smile all day everyday! Thank you Langkawi

• Stayed July 2014
Cockermouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

We enjoyed four nights at the resort in May 2014. We were excellently looked after from the moment we landed at Langkawi Airport until the moment we got the boat back to Langkawi after our stay.

If you read the reviews or check when you book, you will note that the boats to the island don't run very late. I did not find this to be a problem and being away from the main island is a large part of the appeal of Rebak. If you want to stay out tip late on Langkawi, then that's where you should stay.

We thought that the staff were extremely friendly and helpful, even when we had seen them being treated rather rudely. On one occasion we hired a car from reception and it was waiting for us on the main island an hour and a half later. Nothing was too much trouble.

We played tennis, but there were walks, bike rides, kayaks etc. if that's what you wanted.

We were given a beach view room which was lovely and had all the home comforts we needed. If you felt isolated then there was free wifi to keep you connected, which you often have to pay for at other establishments.

We loved our stay, but we had researched the resort and knew exactly what to expect.

We would thoroughly recommend it.

Room Tip: Rebak is a lush island so I would advise closing your doors quickly after going in or out as the lus...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

Went with my sister in January 2011. Had a great time and will surely be back with my wife. It sits on a separate island by itself which makes the experience so much better. Being on a separate island comes with its downsides i.e. to go anywhere you have to take the 20 minutes or so speed boat ride to the main island but its a choice you make for an experience. The speed boats run quite often and rarely posed a problem for me. There are plenty of activities on site and beautiful bars to enjoy. The food was beautiful and we loved it.

My sister fell of the cycle and injured herself. The staff went out of their way to show us to a doctor and constantly keep asking us if we needed something. They really made us feel special and both of us have very fond memories of the place.

Its a beautiful place to be with your partner and I will definitely go back to experience it again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Bengaluru (Bangalore), India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

Me & my wife stayed at Taj Rebak Island during 14th to 18th June 2014 to celebrate my wife's birthday. This has been one of the most beautiful experience we had till date. The view from our room was awesome with the beach just few steps away from our room. The hospitality at the resort was excellent. We were served with good spread of Indian cuisine & our favorite pick of the menu was the freshly baked PIZZA. I would thank the chef for giving us the best pizza experience & preparing a special dessert for my wife on her birthday! we had ever had till date. The entire resort was maintained very well by their courteous staff. I would definitely recommend this place for everyone who wish to get out of the chaotic work environment & get lost in the nature.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Kuching, Malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014 via mobile

The Taj has a high standard reputation to keep. Unfortunately the Vivant concept does not keep up the 5 star service. Although the staff is very well trained to service the guests and wonderfully hospital, the qualify does not raise above an average 4 star.
The hotel has good facilities and a nice beach, especially for families with small children.
The food is OK, not great, and a I missed a morning newspaper. Breakfast buffet is very good for a four star. Best asset is the staff, fully focus on serving the guests.

• Stayed June 2014