“Better than expected” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Resorts World Langkawi

You added Resorts World Langkawi to your Saves list
Resorts World Langkawi
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   | Tanjung Malai, Langkawi 07000, Malaysia (Formerly Awana Porto Malai Langkawi)   |
Ranked #21 of 100 Hotels in Langkawi
“Better than expected”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

After reading a lot of recent negative review, I am already looking to book for other hotel. And yet, we checked ourselves for the 5th time, this time with my 3 year old son.
Check-in took about 20mins, with all the 3 staff at the front counter choosing to serve foreign guest, instead of me with a toddler. I wasn't too happy, but I was checked into a room with 2 queen bed. This time to the right side of the hotel, instead of the usual left wing closer to the "Eagle Rock".
The room itself is clean. Can see it has a new coat of paint. Bed is not too bed, thou 1 of it is squeaky. But that is my son's favorite "jumping bed". He loves that squeaky sound -_- Loves the plump pillows too.
The swimming pool is a hit with my son. Only complain is that there is too much sand in the kid's pool. My son had some fine scratches after playing. Warm towel is provided, just need to collect at the counter.
Daily breakfast is not too bad. Selection is rather wide, still as before during my last stay in 2009. The chef himself made his round and talk to us, which is a nice touch. If you would like to have soft-boiled egg, you need to order from the staff. It is not on "display".
The super downside. During the last night stay and the last morning, they "parked" the lift. Meaning I need to walk all the way up to level 3 carrying my sleeping 3 years old. And then my husband had to lug the 20kg luggage all the way down to Ground floor for check out. I hope the elderly are treated better.
Overall, can see some improvement from my last stay.

Room Tip: Request for room away from the pub/bar. Esp if you have light sleeper/kids
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Bangalore, Karnataka, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

I decided to stay at this property because of the RW brand name and, though i was not immensely pleased, it was not disappointing either.

+ves:
1. Sea view is just awesome. Could spot fishes swimming in the clear waters. And my little kid loved watching all types of boats, sail, yatch, cruise ships and fast motor boats.
2. Buffet breakfast was included in my package and i felt it to be very good. Spread was wide and a lot of options to choose from. There was decent crowd too.
3. Pool area is great for kids. pretty small for adults.
-ves:
Property is dated.

Room Tip: Go for the Sea facing rooms. It is worth it. Also choose rooms near the main reception area. Otherwi...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Klang, Selangor, Malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013 via mobile

Upgraded to sea view room, and it's worth to do so. I think would have rated much lower if I took the garden view. The breakfast is pathetic, as bad as First World's. The bed sheet was dirty with blood stained, and it tooks 20 minutes for the house keeping to come. The bathtub was not working very well. No generous free wi-fi.

• Stayed May 2013
Hong Kong, China
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

We stayed 3 days with friends recently . The hotel has a great sea front and walk away path, perfect for sun rise and sun set viewing . You can even fish feeding. Having said the above, the interior condition of is outdated , old fashion and to some extent quite poor . There is also no free wifi service for people to check urgent mails....... The services provided by the reception staff are by no means friendly .

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights, rooms without breakfast since i was anticipating lousy breakfast, from the reviews i have read. Upon check in the front desk assistant was so lame with no greetings and smile when we approach the counter, which I had to greet her first good evening to get her attention. How is it possible management put this kind of people at front line. 14 May check-in by-the-way.

Our room was located on the last building (building 5) and the corridor light was off, its was pitch dark as if we were walking to an abandoned building, had to use our phone flash to see.

The room was okay, not too bad with flat screen tv, decent bed and "just okay" bathroom. The electric fan was shaking badly with annoying noise giving impression that it might fall anytime! But it was a long walk building after building to get to the room, When I check why they gave us that room, they claimed that the hotel was fully booked and that was the only room available. When I check various OTAs, they still have availabilities. The same night, we heard loud noise from the bar and we had trouble sleeping, tried calling guest service, no answer after few attempts.

The next day we went out for island hoping and came back after few hours, the housekeeping only replaced 1 towel, my gf have to call to request for another one. This is funny, perhaps the hotel don't have enough par level to replenish towels on time?

We took our own tour around the hotel, and gosh what an eyesore the pool area is, saw a few out of order equipments and machines nearby the pool, the hotel is big , so why place such items where guest can see? the area seemed not been maintained and cleaned for a long time.

After travelling around the island the whole day, we decided to have dinner here, we came at 10:15 so we still had chance to make last order. They did not replace the dirty table cloth and just leave it like that until our food arrived.

I had lamb shank while gf had pasta, the lamb not tasty and the sauce almost completely dried, my gf had trouble chewing the sliced meat-dry and hard! we regretted the dine honestly.

Few hours before check-out we called the guest service to request late check-out at 2pm but was declined, as per staff, that day the hotel will be fully booked due to big group arrivals. After airing our problems she agreed to give us until 1pm.

Overall experience was very unsatisfactory,The only staffs that we found friendly were the guys with white uniforms. I really really wonder, what is going on with the management and operation team here?

If i was the gm, I will be very shameful to have 4 star rating with this kind of standard.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

Stay here! Price are reasonable. View is amazing. Very comfortable stay. It is located at the southern part of langkawi. Near to Cenang beach, underwater world. Its good to rent a car to drive around. The staffs are friendly and helpful. The only cons for the hotel is that you have to pay for internet service. Overall, it is a highly recommended stay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

The first impression was really good, the location was perfect and peaceful, but the room it self looked bit old school but clean. I was happy with staff service as well. Will defiantly recommend. The resort's island hoping tour was great and reasonable.

• Stayed May 2013

Been to Resorts World Langkawi? Share your experiences!