“Need a refurbish and not only the rooms!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Frangipani Langkawi Resort & Spa

You added The Frangipani Langkawi Resort & Spa to your Saves list
The Frangipani Langkawi Resort & Spa
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   P.O. Box 138. Jalan Teluk Baru Pantai Tengah | Mukim Kedawang, Langkawi 07100, Malaysia   |
Ranked #14 of 96 Hotels in Langkawi
Zurich, Switzerland
“Need a refurbish and not only the rooms!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

We arrived on the 31th of January at 10pm and the reception was dark, the staff was busy doing their stuff and me and my girlfriend stood in front of the desk waiting for the welcome of the resort.
Nothing happened, I said hello to the staff and they replied to my greetings.. WOW I was already impressed... The first thing I heard from the front desk man was: "you have to pay the rest of the stay"... Nice.. The perfect start for an overprice resort...
A very nice porter brought us to our beach villa (he was very kind compared to the frontdesk guy), himself had problems opening the old door of our villa and to turn on the light took about 3 min. That just to explain how comfortable was the villa.
Finally we entered the old villa, nothing to do with our expectation: old furniture, the lavatory wasn't working well on top of it wasn't looking very clean.
Anyway the location is cool, the villa was situated 20m away from the see. Our villa was also 20m away from the bar and the noise of it was disturbing us during the night. There is no acoustic isolation in the rooms!
The morning we woke up and we went to the breakfast place, half indoor half outdoor. We sat down and out of the blue popped out a waiter asking us the ticket for the breakfast. We gave it the her and that was the whole service that we and the rest of the guests received during the breakfast, it's just a joke.
You have to get the coffee by yourself, the coffee machine it's old, half broken and the coffee is not exactly an espresso. The buffet was ok, nothing special but we could eat something. The toast machine was broken and not working properly. Empty dished stayed on our table for all the breakfast, I was thinking to bring them away by myself.
All in all (I'll not continue mentioning all the broken stuff) what bothered me must was the service, calling it service it's an insult. Waiters were overloaded by work and totally pissed off.
We were disappointed and probably we will not return to Langkawi anymore.

Room Tip: Not near to the bar, because there is a lot of traffic to reach the swimming pool and bar.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
FrangipaniRep, General Manager at The Frangipani Langkawi Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Jeffrey Goh General Manager, The Frangipani Langkawi Resort & Spa replies:

In our move to always cater to satisfy guest expectations and demands on accommodations and facilities, we are in the midst of planning to refurbish and upgrade our Resort in phases sometime early this year.

Despite the provisions for the on-the-job staff trainings, monitoring human behavior poses a great challenge for management such as the inattentive staff during your check-in and the services offered during breakfast. Rest assured the head of departments has been alerted to take appropriate action on the staff.

Although every care has been taken to ensure locks are corrosion free due to the atmospheric conditions of the property being too close to the sea environment, our predicament lies in how fast the metal locks rusted resulting in difficulty to open at times.

The toaster nor the coffee machines that serve freshly brewed coffee, have ever been a problem, though the coffee machines may appear to be that need to be heated up for a very short time whenever water is being refilled.

Your comments are truly valuable for us in our efforts to maintain and improve all aspects of hospitality at our Resort. We thank you for staying with us and apologize for all the shortcomings encountered during your holidays.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

I work in Kuala lumpur and I travel to Langkawi several times in a year. Now I come back to langkawi again and staying in a 5 star hotel and I am very pleased with the service here. When I arrived here, I remembered my last stay, I was here in August and I stayed at the Frangipani resort. I was going to meet my brother at the ferry terminal and before I went out I ordered some food at the restaurant and I said that I will be back one hour later. I was late for sometime and when we came to restaurant my meal was already on the table without a proper covering and it was cold and I understand that it was already cooked a long time ago. I asked the restaurant staff to heat the meal but they said the kitchen is closed so that cannot heat it. Then I said how I can eat a food which is already cold, but the lady said cannot do anything as the kitchen already closed. I told that I will not pay for this cold food and I cannot eat it, but it was already in my bill because I signed it when I ordered the food. I understood arguing there have no solution so I wanted to talk to the hotel manager. The waitress then called the hotel manager but the manager didn't mind to talk to me or come to the restaurant, but the waitress told me that I have to pay the bill. And the next day I had to pay the bill when I left the hotel.
Regardless how many stars, a hotel is a hotel, only if they serve to their clients and if they care for their clients and their requests. If the hotel can not even heat a meal, then I can't name here as a hotel. I am not bankrupt because of that bill but I am sure that manager was very happy to earn that extra money from me. I am not going to recommend here to anyone at all.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
FrangipaniRep, General Manager at The Frangipani Langkawi Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Jeffrey Goh General Manager, The Frangipani Langkawi Resort & Spa replies:

Notwithstanding the unhappy experience you had encountered on the services that were less accommodating than expected during your stay sometime in August last year, we thank you and hope had an enjoyable holiday otherwise.

It was regrettable our staff did not seek further assistance from higher authority and took matters in their own hands without the knowledge of the management. Inadvertently, had it been further made known by your good self during the time of checking out, the management would have profusely apologised for the unfortunate incident and made good of what should not have happened in the first place.

Nevertheless, please accept our sincere apology for the strong behaviour taken by our staff and we hope you will give us another opportunity to make good in your next return to stay with us in the not too distant a future.
Paris, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

We booked Frangipani for a short stay.
we have appreciate with my friend the location , the wonderful and quiet beach (even if they were small jellyfishes - its a seasonal problem-), the perfect rooms quite large and recently renovated with great and spacious bath room.
On the other hand the service seems a bit average for a 5stars with less customer's attention as we could expect. On the top the breakfast is more the one of 3 stars...
The front desk could be very helpful or simply neutral in customer handling.
Definitely the location is a must

Room Tip: have to chose either roome facing ocean and there is a bit some passer by , or beach on the back rea...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
FrangipaniRep, General Manager at The Frangipani Langkawi Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Jeffrey Goh General Manager, The Frangipani Langkawi Resort & Spa replies:

Thank you for staying with us in a good location 4 star Resort during your holidays where you found our recently renovated room comfortably large with spacious bathroom and the beach wonderfully quiet.

There is always room for improvement on our breakfast and services that seemed to be average. The front desk strives to provide the best of services and finds it always very challenging to cater to guest expectations that could be overwhelming at times.

Appreciate your review and we look forward to the opportunity to serve you again in a not too distant future.
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

Typing this whilst sat on the boat by bar with my cocktail. Worked out early birds get the sun beds not covered by the trees, but they can keep em! By 12pm in the sun and even though cloudy, got red areas of skin. Pools lovely! Breakfast is a great selection. I had pancakes, maple syrup & fruit. Coffee machine works now (see previous reviews). Needed a repair in bathroom and service guy was at our room door before I'd returned from lobby so very efficient. We ate at On The Beach restaurant last night which was lovely food. Stopped at a little shack first playing rasta beatles. Long walk about 30mins on strip so got a taxi back for rm8 or £1.20. Bargain! Oh and it's £10 from airport using taxi service at front door. Tonight ate at the Lebanese place just 2mins walk from resort. Gorgeous food starters & main comes together. staff here are great. All! Not one Mardy face. look for a smile you will get one! Food prices & drinks are little bit more then outside on the strip. Rooms are clean, beds comfortable & for all those sports mad men, Fox Sports channel will cover your needs so no need to go to the sports bar down the road. For the women there's a movie channel. Otherwise enjoy the sun.

Room Tip: Garden villa is great. We're not far from bar and no wifi, but you come to the bar and pool clos...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
FrangipaniRep, General Manager at The Frangipani Langkawi Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Jeffrey Goh General Manager, The Frangipani Langkawi Resort & Spa replies:

It is lovely to receive such wonderful comments and thank you for sharing your beautiful experiences with us on this thread. Our staff would be very pleased with such kind comments on their efficiency and their ever ready smile to give while we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay at our resort where breakfast consisted of great selections, lovely pool, clean rooms, comfortable beds and TV channels to suit everyone, men and women alike. It is without a doubt you are a gourmet lover and we share your every joy on the food you relished.

Indeed, our thanks once again for selecting our resort as your holiday destination and it is our heartiest hope to see you return to The Frangipani Langkawi Resort & Spa in the near future.
Warrington, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

The only good thing i've got to say about this hotel - is it's location. The beach is beautiful, quiet and the resort itself is only a stones throw from restaurants & shops.

I booked this on the basis of it being a 4* hotel. It is far from it. I would rate it 2*, 3* at a push. It is dirty & riddled with ants. This hotel needs to be shut down for a complete renovation. We visit Thailand/Malaysia twice a year from the UK and this is the worst hotel we've stayed at.

Our room was of a good size, however it was very dated and old. The furniture was very old and grotty, and the bathroom was dirty, tiles covered in grime/mould and flaking paint from the doors. We also had a spark come out of one of the light switches, followed by an buzzing noise. The refrigerator plug had bare wires hanging from it, and our bedside lamp had a dodgy switch which was making the bedside lamp flicker on and off.

The manager of this hotel is absolutely useless. I called about an issue with the safety deposit box in our room. It kept on displaying 'Error' and we couldn't get any of our money from it. He came to the room and explained he had to order a new part, however if we waited 1/2 an hour he would come back with a hammer. We waited in for an hour but he never came back. He called at the evening however the safe had cleared the error. There was an hour wasted.

We returned back from a trip the following day - to find our door half open and unlocked. The cleaner had been in and not shut our door or locked it. This was highly unacceptable. We had a lot of valuables in the room. I went to reception to speak with the manager. It was an effort to get hold of him with the attitude of the rude lady on reception. I spoke with him on the phone about the matter, and i explained this was unacceptable.

To top things off - the following morning, the old sliding door on our room came completely off the runner and had to get maintenance to put it back on. It came off again that evening.

The swimming pool is of a good size and is quite pleasant, however i was disappointed that all of the pool lighting fittings all had bare wires hanging out, as can be seen in my photo's.

The whole hotel itself was probably of a good standard 10 years ago but it is now very run down. Everything needs painting & renovating. The pathways are cracked, gardens not very well maintained and all of the apartments look shabby.

The reception staff are very rude. The cleaners and a couple of the bar staff are the only people that greet you and smile, however the bar staff are usually sat on their mobile phones and texting. The service is quite slow.

If you do come to this hotel - Don't eat here. The food is of an ok standard but very pricey. Instead - Turn left or right out of the hotel. There's lots of nice restaurants which are very cheap and the food is excellent. We ate at Thien Thien Lai (Left out of hotel, 2 minutes walk and on the corner). You could get 2 beers and 2 meals for under £5 GBP. The food quality was great, and the owner is lovely.

Beers at the hotel cost apprx £4 GBP. You can get cans of Tiger beer from the local supermarket for £0.50p (Stock up your fridge).

Breakfast was OK, but with the price you pay to stay here - It's definitely not upto 4* standards. The coffee machine is a joke, and the choice is very repetitive. Potato wedges, spring rolls & samosas are not my idea of breakfast!

Overall - I was disappointed with this hotel and will not be returning or recommending it. It was highly overpriced (We stayed at the 5* Shangri-La in Kuala Lumpur the week previous for the same price!).

Room Tip: Make sure your room has been renovated.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
jeffrey Goh General Manager, The Frangipani Langkawi Resort & Spa replies:

Thank you for staying with us. We are delighted that you loved our location, beautiful quiet beach and only a stone’s throw from the restaurants and shops.

We understand the concern that it is timely for a upgrading and renovation works that we are actually in the midst of planning to have it carried out in phases sometime soon this year. These planned efforts are in order to provide guest satisfactions and expectation demands.

All our housekeeping staffs who have been with us for many years are conscious and careful in their daily room assignments and the one who was assigned to your room is part of this group. She has a clean record without any guest complaint against her until now. She assured us that your door was locked after cleaning. Perhaps lock mechanism could be the problem when one thinks otherwise. Now in the daily briefings, attention to double check all locked doors are re emphasized.

Our manager, who kept his promise to return and handle your room safe, found you were not there and regrettably he overlooked to leave a note for his visit. While we do not condone rude behaviors and lackadaisical attitude from any of our staff, a thorough investigation will be carried out followed by appropriate disciplinary actions to be taken on staff for perpetrating such deplorable manners and attitude.

We truly appreciate your shared constructive comments which we sincerely apologize for our shortcomings and deeply regret the experiences you endured.

We assure you things would not be the same when renovations are completed and we invite you then in your next return to experience the new ambience and expected services.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013 via mobile

Unfortunatly I regret my review as the resort its self is beautiful. However the bar/restaurant staff are unbelievable. The most idle lazy staff I've come across on my trip so far! If they spent as much time serving their guests and cleaning the bar as they do hovering in the corner chatting it would be a fantastic place. The food is so basic and over priced... Apparently Riata is chunks of veg swimming in mayonnaise! Maybe a compulsory 10% service charge has something to do with it! The room keeping and ground keeping staff are so friendly and can't do enough to help, if only they were front of house!
Breakfast is very basic, you'll be lucky to get a coffee as it runs out early on...
Don't even bother with lunch or dinner sagar Indian round the corner deliver lunch and dinner is fantastic.
What a shame as the resort has so much going for it...

• Stayed January 2013
FrangipaniRep, General Manager at The Frangipani Langkawi Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Jeffrey Goh General Manager The Frangipani Langkawi Resort & Spa replies:

While we thank you for your comments on our beautiful resort with friendly services among the housekeeping and ground keeping staff, the same may not be said of our F&B staff whom we assure you corrective actions have already been taken to rectify the situation for the sake of our guests’ comfort and satisfying holidays.

It is always a challenge for our chef to continuously prepare food to satisfy the different types of taste buds during his meal periods while our restaurant food are considered on a par with other hotels in Langkawi.

Please accept our utmost apology and hope you will allow us the opportunity to host you again in the near future.
Breda, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

We stayed over New Year. Do not understand why the new years eve dinner had to be compulsory. And of course this dinner was a buffet. We hate buffets. When the buffet opened everybody run to the food and came back with 2 or more plates a person. Not to blame the hotel for this, but peoples behaviour.
The room was nice, clean and have a great bathroom with a super shower and every day botteled water.
Pool was ok, as was the bar.
The breakfasts were boring after 3 days, still 4 to go. The coffeemachine is to small for the amount of guests at breakfast.
The hotel has a great location at the beautiful clean beach. Our son went every night to catch crabs with other boys. They great fun.
All in all a perfect place for a nice and relaxing week.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
FrangipaniRep, General Manager at The Frangipani Langkawi Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 13, 2013
Jeffrey Goh General Manager, The Frangipani Langkawi Resort & Spa replies:

A “perfect place to relax” is a very apt statement to describe our Resort which we thank you. Besides finding our room clean and nice with a super shower, your son had great fun too.

Our chef finds it very challenging to find a perfect solution for his breakfast preparation to suit the many taste buds of different nationalities. Plan is underway to look into replacing a more suitable coffee machine to cater to the daily needs at breakfast time.

Traditionally the New Year Eve event is organized and celebrated on a grand scale featuring interesting programs and it is a night to dine wine and rejoice with the hope to bring cheers, joy and merriment among fellow guests who at this point in time are unable to rejoice with their families back at home. To ensure full participants all guests of the hotel need to participate, thus the rational for a compulsory dinner.

We look forward to your return visit and spend another joyous celebration with us.

Been to The Frangipani Langkawi Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!