“Excellent location for calm and serenity in Langkawi” 4 of 5 stars

Tanjung Rhu Resort
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Mukim Ayer Hangat, Langkawi 07000, Malaysia   |
Ranked #6 of 96 Hotels in Langkawi
Paris
“Excellent location for calm and serenity in Langkawi”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013 via mobile

This hotel was under renovation when we stayed so unfortunately, the best rooms with ocean view were not available. Upside was that the hotel was utterly quiet with probably only at a third of its full capacity and management granted all guests complimentary activities as a compensation of the inconvenience caused.
The hotel has truly the best beach in Langkawi and it is for guests only, with a breathtaking sunset.
The Sands pool, for adults only, is great and large enough (50 meters) for real swimming, very clean and well maintained.
The Rhu is an excellent top end restaurant but be prepared to pay the price accordingly. The location is perfect for those who look for calm and quietness away from the frenzy of Pantai Cenang.
As for the areas of improvement, the room we were staying was a bit outdated and humid. It may explain the need for renovation.
The Sands restaurant is also outdated and not so welcoming with ugly mesh nets all around for whatever reason. It would clearly need better decor and refurbishment.
We recommend this hotel especially after full renovation is completed.

• Stayed August 2013
relaxLGK, General Manager at Tanjung Rhu Resort, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
Dear phil647,
Thanks for the review and I am pleased that overall you had a nice stay at Tanjung Rhu. As you have noted, the rooms and restaurants will be completely renovated soon to further enhance the overall guest experience. The reason for the nets at the Sands Restaurant is to keep the Minor Birds away from the guests and there is really no other way to do this. Most guests do not find the netting a problem but I understand your view. I am sure the next time you visit us in Paradise you will be even more satisfied due to the new rooms and restaurants. This will just make Tanjung Rhu and even better Paradise for everyone to experience and enjoy.
Enzo Rulli

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
  • Korean first
Zedelgem, Belgium
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

We thought that spending 300$ in a 5 stars hotel will give us a lovely happy ending holiday, but this was not the case! This hotel need urgently a general MANAGER! All hotel is under construction, only 4 part are open and only one is renovate! Of couse webgot the old part and I tell you room are very old, shower doesn't work, on the stairs window are broken, floor is dirty, furniture very old with a coach old with dirty spots! This is 2 stars more than what it should be! No chanel tv!!! How can this happen in a five stars hotel? Almost all hotel is close so to get to the restaurant you have only one way, very long way!
The only positif thing of this hotel is the location and beautiful beach, even the water is not blue!
I will not say that this is a 5 stars hotel ! It doesn't deserve it!

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear tiger2669,
Thank you for your review and for outlining your concerns. I understand that you were moved to a new room on the second day of your stay and that this was more to your liking. I realise that you had not been advised about the upgrading works by your agent and this is a shame but it seems that that last few days of your stay were much more enjoyable for you both. I am sure that you will be entranced by the Tanjung Rhu magic the next time you come to stay with us here in Paradise.
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

I'm booked for a trip in early August , but they've just call to tell me they can't get the rooms renovated in time, so they'll offer me a downgrade to a Garden room ... how disappointing!

I am totally unhappy that just days before I leave for my vacation, I have to deal with this sort of stress.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
relaxLGK, General Manager at Tanjung Rhu Resort, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Dear mozilla_monster,
Thank you for your feedback and may I once agin extend our sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused to you due to the changes. The upgrading works unfortunately were slower than expected in releasing our sea view rooms for sale in time for August and we had no option but to offer a one level downgrade for all guests who had booked thius category. We had tried to get in touch with you via Expedia several times some time ago but received no response. We were finally able to get in touch directly in the past couple of days. I trust that you have been able to make other satisfactory arrangements for your holiday booking and hope that we can make this up to you when the Bayu Senja Seaview rooms are once again available later this year.
Almaty, Kazakhstan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

We've been there in January 2013. we liked the hotel very much. Food was delicious- 5 stars!
The staff was nice. Thanx to Manager Labazda Azzedine, who was very friendly and helpful.
The only dissapointed thing was that there were many mini lakes that didnt have barriers. it was not safe for my children 5 and 2 years old. They could fell down.
I hope administration will make area safe for kids.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear assel k,
Warm Greetings and thank you for you kind review. I am very pleased to know that you enjoyed the Resort, the Food & the Service. Thank you also for the feedback regarding the water feature ponds at the Resort. We will look into this as well. I hope to see you once again when you return to Paradise!
Surrey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

Stayed for one night at this lovely resort whilst taking some pre-wedding photos. The grounds are amazing and this hotel has by far the best beach on langkawi with stunning rock formations occasionally accessible via a sandbar. Rooms are in blocks rather than indvidual villas which is a bit dissappointing and are rather dark and damp. Unfortunately we didn't have time to try out all the restaurants but we'll surely return and stay in a beach front room next time.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
relaxLGK, General Manager at Tanjung Rhu Resort, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Dear The_loyal_traveller,
Thanks for your review and I hope that when you come back you will stay a little longer so that you may be able to enjoy the full experience here at Tanjung Rhu. Certainly a Sea View Room will be the best option and do try the All Inclusive Package to be able to fully sample the extensive restaurant and wonderful menu options. We all look forward to seeing again soon here in Paradise.
Brisbane
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

We loved this resort. The in room check in was just what we needed with small children. We took the all inclusive deal, which included room service. Wonderful! After an active day our kids needed and early dinner (5pm) and to be put to bed so room service was a godsend. There is nothing worse than trying to wrangle tired children at a nice resturant, so this added bonus was extra relaxation for us. The room service attendant even set the little table for them just like a mini resturant. Once they were in bed, we were then free to sit back on our seaview balcony and enjoy the delectable desserts and cocktails which were brought to our room. Our son had an accident in the pool where he split his lip open (his fault) and the staff response was excellent, first aid trained staff attended to him and the lovely hotel driver took us immediately to the clinic to have his lip glued back together. Thank you Tanjung Rhu for making the event as smooth as possible. The scenery was indeed beautiful and the grounds exceptional. I ended up having my own private yoga class (no other guests turned up). The yoga instructor was fantastic and I throughly enjoyed my class. I would like to see a stand up paddle board added to the watersports equiptment. I would have loved paddling in the bay but I do understand that these type of watersports are not popular in Malaysia. We will return and hope Tanjung Rhu doesn't change too much!

Room Tip: The beachfront rooms are a must!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear TLWE,
It was lovely to see your review and thank you so much for the kind words. It was nice to meet you briefly whilst you were here and I am so pleased that everything was as you expected and that you had such an excellent stay together with the family. I trust your son has recovered well from the little misadventure and I was pleased to know that you were looked after so well after the incident.
The All Inclusive option really is great value, especially for families like yours and I am happy to know that you and the children all enjoyed being pampered at meals time. You can be assured that all the important things will not change here at Tanjung Rhu and will remain as they have for the past 19 years. We will however try hard to provide even better service so we can achieve our goal to be Number 1 in Asia. So, please come back soon and we will look after and pamper you all over again here at your second Home in Paradise!
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

Stayed in this hotel for 5 nights after reading so many positive remarks about this hotel in trip advisor.
Check in was very fast & seamless. I am very impress.
Staffs are very helpful & friendly & one of the staff even team up with my son for a table soccer with me. That is very nice of the staff.
As hotel is in the mid of renovation, they are very thoughtful to organise complimentary city tour for the guess. It's a very nice gesture from the hotel.
Foods in this hotel is very good & up to standard and we end up having most of our meals in the hotel.
Awesome beach that keep the wife & kid very happy.
One area that need improvement is the room. Since renovation is underway, I believe once renovation is completed, it should make stay at this hotel even a wonderful experience.

Overall experience is great. I am very happy that the family enjoy their stays here.

See you again when you have completed yr renovation!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
relaxLGK, General Manager at Tanjung Rhu Resort, responded to this review, June 30, 2013
Dear Garysoon68,
Thank you for the wonderful review and it is very good to know that overall you had a great stay with us. It was pleasing to see that the whole family was able to enjoy their time here and we look forward to welcoming you back Home to Paradise soon - the new rooms will be rolling out progressively from August onwards so please feel free to contact us at any time so we can advise you on the dates you may have in mind.
enzo@tanjungrhu.com.my

Been to Tanjung Rhu Resort? Share your experiences!