“Still a little bit of paradise” 5 of 5 stars

Tanjung Rhu Resort
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Mukim Ayer Hangat, Langkawi 07000, Malaysia   |
Ranked #6 of 98 hotels in Langkawi
Noosa, Australia
“Still a little bit of paradise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

We recently spent six days in this little bit of paradise having been many times before.We were informed by email several times about the refurbishment but decided it was still worth a visit and generally were not disappointed. It is in a fabulous position,always clean and the service is good although maybe not as sparkling on this occasion.Considering the rebuilding the restaurants cope well but with limited kitchen facilities the fine dining menu is limited.We did ask for lobster in advance (not on the menu) and the following evening it was superbly presented in a most salubrious beach pavilion tent complete with the fine linen tablecloths,fine china,excellent french champagne and perfect service.Maybe we are easily satisfied but I thought that evening would be difficult to surpass anywhere.
The rooms are always spotless and well serviced twice daily and in someways are ageing but a pleasant change from city glitzy designer hotels with small rooms and no personality.
For those looking for the high life,motorised water sports and organised sightseeing it is not for you.But if you want complete relaxation in a beautiful setting with great food and generally excellent and always friendly service, Tanjung Rhu is for you.We organised to hire a car at short notice for a day through the concierge.No problem.He rang ahead to confirm the cable car was operational.No problem.Hired mountain bikes for a ride to local waterfalls.No problem.Organized a private sunset cruise.No problem.Spent two afternoons of superb sailing on a Hobiecat in a most picturesque bay. No problem.Organised the complimentary transfer to the airport with perfect timing.No problem.
We love this resort and its ambience and of course will be back in the future to savour the upgraded rooms and restaurants.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
relaxLGK, General Manager at Tanjung Rhu Resort, responded to this review, April 13, 2013
Dear Ian C,
Wonderful to read your review and thank you very much for taking the time to post it. I trust that your trip back to beautiful Noosa was comfortable and I was extremely pleased to know that you both had another enjoyable time with your Tanjung Rhu Family. I would be pleased to know what we need to do to ensure the "Sparkle" does not fade as far as the service is concerned so please email me to let me know so I can discuss with the Team for improvement. I am glad the you love the Resort, especially as you also come from a very beautiful part of the world. We love you too and are looking forward to having you both stay in the new rooms next year when you come back Home to this "little bit of Paradise"!

email : enzo@tanjungrhu.com.my

849 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
  • Korean first
Kowloon, null, Hong Kong
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

It was overall a pretty good experience that we had staying @ Tanjung Rhu, yet there are a few things that it can definitely improve to have it being maintained the second best resort in Langkawi. And I do wish the hotel the best, as there staff always welcome us with friendly greetings, which is definitely a big PLUS.

Good:
1. Greets from the staffs , 2. Very Nice Beach , 3. My room was clean (Sea-facing room with two balconies) , 4. Good Food , 5. The massage at Jiva Spa

Shortcomings:
I wish that the concierge can be more helpful with our sightseeing plan, as when I was making my plans with them, none of them have mentioned about the Cable Car nor Bat Cave, until I was with another guide who told me that the Cable Car is a Must-Go preferred by most of the tourist. Yet, it was already too late as we just have to leave the next day.

And I was pretty dissappointed at how I received a note slipped under my door telling me that the Rain Forest trip that I have booked with the hotel TODAY have to be cancelled because the tour guide can't make it due to family emergency. I understand that things like this happen, yet, what dissappoint me is that I don't seems to see that the hotel had try their best to resolve the situation by finding us another tourguide or by calling another touring company to take care of us. It seems to me that they just pass on the message and expect us to accept it and just spend the day at the hotel or make our own plan. However, when I go to the concierge to insist that I have to visit Rain Forest, they did arranged another tourguide for me the next day. As I mentioned above, they are nice people, but sometimes I just wish that they can be more proactive in trying harder to resolve problem like such instead of having the guest to suggest resolutions and push things hard (it causes stress.....you know...)

Please don't take me wrong as I very much appreciate the nice smile of all the staffs, and I do wish Tanjung Rhu all the best and wish to come back to find it improved to become a even more better hotel. But I also wish that the managements would understand that Langkawi definitely has much much more to offer than just a romantic beach and sun bath, It has rainforest and cable car and night life and everything, I wish they can take better advantages of these features of this beautiful island by offering more help in the guests' sightseeing plans.

And One final complain will be the changing room at the Jiva Spa. It smells AWEFUL. And we were asked to go inside to get change for our spa treatment. And after our very enjoyable nice massage, the masseur open the door of the change room while I was still on the massage bed and the smell coming out from it definitely ruin the overall experience of the nice treatment. Please please please work on it.

Anyways, it is a nice hotel with friendly staffs. I saw some comments saying that it's not clean, which is not true. It is nice and clean.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear VivienneW,
Thank you for your very fair review. It was pleasing to note that overall you had a nice time and I also appreciate the feedback you have provided on service. I have taken note and discussed the issues that you have raised with the Team here and you should know that we are definitely better than that. We pride ourselves on the levels of service and the caring we provide for the guests and to see that we have let you down is very concerning. We will reinforce the team in these areas where we disappointed you and I am sure that you will not be disappointed the next time you come to stay with us here in Paradise. Please be aware that we are very determined and focused on not only being the Best resort in Langkawi, but also in becoming the No. 1 Luxury Beach Resort in Asia.

email: enzo@tanjungrhu.com.my
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

Our family of six adults arrived and were shown into our three respective rooms by very accommodating staff who carefully explained the layout of the hotel to us.
They also explained that some of the restaurants were either closed or were now temporarily relocated, due to the refurbishment of some areas of the premises......this was something that we had not been told about when the reservations were booked.
The staff are friendly but some seem to lack "product knowledge" in so far as what the hotel is selling - one such example is when 'phoning for In Room Dining and asking for a Baker's Basket. This was met by a staff member who did not understand English and did not know what was on offer on the "In Room Dining Menu".
Two returned phone calls later, the order was sorted and delivered by a staff member who, when laying the table in the room, promptly dropped the cutlery on the floor and did not either clean it or offer to replace it - choosing instead to just pick it up and plonk it back on the table.

The food here is ok - we have not had time to sample everything but we will over the next two days. We had issues with the Teryaki Chicken and the Chicken Rice which were luke warm, bland and unappetising.
When confronting the restaurant staff with our thoughts about the food, no apology was given and it was taken away with a shrug.

Another minor issue occurred when signing the bill for the evening meal - we had been told by the girl who did the "meeting and greeting", that if we all ate together, then everything could be booked to one room.
I had asked if this was possible, as I would be paying for everything.
However this was most definitely not the view held by the restaurant staff who (after signing and returning the bill to one staff member), subsequently came running after us, as if we had just stolen the takings for the day and demanding that all room numbers were written on the bill.
My thoughts are - better staff training and cohesion of hotel policies are required here.
This hotel is by no means the cheapest in the area and it is not the most expensive.
The bedrooms seem tired and could do with some refurbishment.
The bedroom layout is almost identical to some of the rooms in other hotels I have stayed-in in Kuala Lumpur - especially with the idea of a central plinth and rotating TV....a bit corporate as another blog has mentioned.
The rooms are tired - our sofa was quite badly stained and the walls showed plenty of dead squashed Mosquitos.
An added attraction were the microscopic ants that scuttled out of the sink splash-back area and ran around the bathroom sink.
The telephone system in our room crackles like mad making it rather difficult to hear a conversation and to top it all, our safe has just failed and the maintenance man has taken a look at it and disappeared, muttering something that I didn't understand.....he couldn't speak any English either, but the power to the safe has disappeared.
Let's hope he manages to fix it, or at least get it open, because our passports and my credit cards and money are still in it!
This hotel is probably in the finest location on the island and has many great attributes, but as always it is the small things that spoil what should be one of the best hotels in Malaysia.
JCB diggers shunting backwards and forwards on the road just outside the restaurant, the taste of carborundum in one's mouth from an angle grinder, as one dined in close proximity to a new building project - I did not expect any of this to be happening at such an idyllic paradise.
We are giving it another two nights here and then moving to the Danna - we'll see what that's like next..... Hopefully an improvement on this hotel.
Julian Barnard.

• Stayed April 2013
relaxLGK, General Manager at Tanjung Rhu Resort, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
Dear 7578julian,
Thanks for staying with us and for your valuable review. I am sorry that at the time that I am reading the review you have already checked out so I was not able to meet with you personally to discuss further.

I am quite surprised to see the issues that you have mentioned relating to service levels from the staff because we usually have great feedback from our guests. I therefore have to apologise sincerely to you for this and let you know that we certainly take this feedback very seriously. I must also apologise for the maintenance items that you have mentioned and we will immediately look into these as well.

With regards to the upgrading works and the restaurant options available during your stay, these items had been communicated to the lady who kindly made the reservations for you from your Kuala Lumpur Office so I was concerned to learn that this may not have been forwarded to you prior to your arrival. I have copies of the confirmation advice that provided details of the upgrading works and also the restaurant options advice dated 12th March and 18th March respectively.

We have been quite lucky as many guests have been very understanding of the works program but I fully understand that everyone may have different expectations of what constitutes a disturbance and especially if they are not informed in advance.

I am intrigued by the comment about the "corporate" nature of the rooms as this seems so far away from what we actually offer. Perhaps you can email me to let me know what this means. In discussions with other in-house guests (both regular and first time guests) staying with us here this week and who keep in touch with Trip Advisor, they were also a bit unsure about the context of this description of the rooms?

Once again thank you for your feedback and be assured that we will us this to ensure continual improvement and I am certain that you will have a totally perfect experience the next time you come to stay with us in our idyllic Paradise.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

We had some issues with our first room but these were soon sorted and we were moved, fantastic sea views over what is the best beach location on the island.

Service is excellent, they are trying to make life as easy as possible whilst the renovations go on.

All staff are very friendly, the food is lovely, from the excellent breakfast buffet snacks by the pool and a wonderful tented area on the beach with four course gourmet dinners.

Prices for drinks etc are very very reasonable about £3.70 for huge delicious cocktails.

Loads of activities and trips available and it is easy to get a taxi to local towns such as Kuah which cost about £5 per hour of hire.

Once the refurbishments are complete this truly will be paradise.

Room Tip: Try and get a full sea view balcony on floors 3 or 4
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
relaxLGK, General Manager at Tanjung Rhu Resort, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Dear LozKwowles,
Thank you for the lovely review and for your kind compliments. We appreciate your kind understanding during the upgrading program and are pleased that you have been able to enjoy the overall experience with us during your stay. I realise that you are still in house as I write this response and that is even more special as I will have the chance to see you again to thank you both in person tomorrow! Thank you for the kind compliments to all the staff and I hope we will see you regularly here in Paradise.
benji_kt
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

there was nothing at all wrong with this hotel. beach is stunning, sea is wonderful and the food is fine. Staff are friendly and the place is clean. It's just that somehow the rooms felt a little corporate and it didn't quite seem to click in the way i'd have wanted. It's for sure a far cheaper way of enjoying the same beach as the 4s, and appreciably more so than the Datai say, so in terms of value one can't fault it. Maybe that's the point...

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
relaxLGK, General Manager at Tanjung Rhu Resort, responded to this review, March 17, 2013
Dear Benji_kt,
I was rather confused by your review and don't know what it was that was not right for you!? Our rooms a far away from being "corporate" so am not really sure at all what you are concerned about as all the other aspects seems to have been ok. Oh, and we DO NOT share the same beach as 4S - our beach is much, much nicer and more idyllic.. I usually try to take something constructive away from most guest reviews but in your case have struggled to understand what the point is. Thanks for your comments just the same.
Chippenham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

We had the most wonderful 8 days at theTanjung Rhu and could not recommend it more highly. From the moment we were picked up at the airport we were incredibly well looked after and this set the standard for our stay. It was impossible to fault any of the staff who were all so friendly and genuinely wanted to make our stay as perfect as possible. The setting could not be more beautiful and having dinner at Saffron, sitting right at the edge of the beach overlooking the sea was one of the highlights. Breakfast was excellent too, we were completely spoiled for choice. We stayed in a Baya Senja room which was lovely even though it had yet to be renovated, it had great views from both balconies. We had a small problem in our bathroom and were immediately moved to another room with equally great views.

We didn't leave the hotel apart from a mangrove tour organised by the hotel which was great fun and highly recommended. The guide even managed to wade through mud to take a photograph of a mangrove snake with our camera.

This is one hotel that we would love to return to.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

Excellent service from the resort staff---very friendly, courteous and personalized! The place was just breathtaking. The private beach is very clean and truly relaxing. The pools were designed beautifully. They were made one with nature. The food and drinks were all good. The fish and salad dishes I tried from Saffron were delicious and very fresh. Other restaurants also offered a good variety of food---more than enough to choose from. It's a place worth going back to.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
relaxLGK, General Manager at Tanjung Rhu Resort, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Dear Aleli C,
Thank you for staying with us an for your very kind review. I am pleased that you were able to fully enjoy your Tanjung Rhu experience and I will be very pleased to welcome you Back Home to Paradise so that we can look after you all over again sometime very soon!
Enzo Rulli

Been to Tanjung Rhu Resort? Share your experiences!